Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 05:38:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689764
  • Total Topics: 118294
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Pony Express game?  (Read 1488 times)

Offline Tom Reed

• Mad Scientist
Pony Express game?
« on: November 07, 2019, 03:34:13 PM »
I've been thinking about a game about the Pony Express, possibly for a convention. Maybe have each player be an express rider and have to go the length of the table to deliver the mail, all the while avoiding hostiles. Has anyone else done something similar? Thanks.
Jane! Stop this crazy thing!

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Re: Pony Express game?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2019, 03:38:09 PM »
Not tried it, but it sounds like a great idea for a game.  :)
You could have the stop over station half way up the board, somewhere to get too and get a fresh mount, take cover etc.
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2019, 04:20:06 PM »
May I suggest the following:-
A rectangular playing surface, say 2' x 6' which you can roll up, with 'terrain' painted on;
A 15mm figure for the rider and
hazards (Indians, bad weather, outlaws etc.) represented by a smaller scale (6mm, 10mm)

This will allow you to sit players down & have a 'playsheet/ QRS in between them & the
playing surface. The difference in scale (rider v hazards)  will emphasise a) the importance
of the rider & b) make the threats feel some way off.
The playing surface could even be marked up as a form of map.
As with all participation games the KISS rule applies (Keep It Simple Stupid)
Be prepared to ad-lib.
Have one player be the rider & say 3 or 4 to play the hazards.
Offer silly prizes for good effort (bags of cheap sweets are useful)

Offline Tom Reed

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2019, 09:35:20 PM »
I like the idea of having the playing surface marked up as a map, maybe using area movement so the rider has some choice where to go, and having a hazard roll to see if anything happens. Maybe the faster he rides, the easier it is for bad things to happen. Give the rider and horse so many wounds each. Maybe pull cards for hazards and the like. Special evens like the horse goes lame, etc.

Offline FreakyFenton

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2019, 11:23:08 PM »
Great idea, might be worth having a look here if you have the BD:

https://www.egmont-shop.de/lucky-luke-nr-56-der-pony-express.html/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIts3q957Z5QIVDYmyCh07lwG8EAYYASABEgIpYPD_BwE

The story is a rivalry between pony express and a railway company methinks, might have some interesting ideas.
"No human being would stack books like -that-!" -Dr. Peter Venkman

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2019, 12:32:19 AM »
I would also recommend and an European setting at around mid end 18th century with couriers trying to deliver mail meeting various obstacles, like bad weather, rebels, bandits, border crossing etc.
OK I find an excuse to switch to some new era and venture the Saxon postal system with those yellow clad postmen (and yellow coaches). See:  https://oldthing.de/Kuenstler-AK-Saechsische-Post-Koenigl-Saechsischer-Postillon-aud-Postfussbote-Uniformen-von-1833-0022246773

Anyhow is a nice idea, I will follow the development of it
argsilverson

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2019, 02:05:12 AM »
If you go with 15 mm, Hovels Pony Wars range has a Pony Express rider in both mounted and dismounted version and the, um, horse for the mounted version.  They have other cool bits.  I live very close to the western terminus of the Pony Express route and I would not recommend a flat table - while there were some flat stretches more mountainous terrain offers better gaming options.  And, remember, the US Mail was a key target of a lot of the bad operators in the Old West because people sent cash and other valuables through the mail.  So, the hazards can take many forms - weather, Indians, bandits, wild critters, pushing too hard and the horse giving out before the next changing station. 

And the rule of KISS is actually Keep It Short and Simple - the abused version came later.  ;)

Like others, I think it is a cool idea for a game - but I'd go with a longer table, even in 15 mm, because it was set up so the riders were going "hell for leather" a lot of the time in order to make the schedule.  I'm going to have to go back and study up more on it now.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 02:19:56 AM by FifteensAway »

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2019, 02:41:28 AM »
I would also recommend and an European setting at around mid end 18th century with couriers trying to deliver mail meeting various obstacles, like bad weather, rebels, bandits, border crossing etc.

We could do this in Dorset Nick. Good excuse to get the terrain out again  :)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2019, 08:29:48 AM »
We could do this in Dorset Nick. Good excuse to get the terrain out again  :)

Good idea! ;D

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2019, 10:25:06 AM »
Quite a few decades ago I toyed with the idea of a Highwayman participation game.
Joe public would be the Highwayman. They could choose where on the table to wait.
Do you let the first vehicle go past? Will the next be richer pickings? Will it have
armed guards? Do you fire a warning shot, & have one pistol unloaded? Will the
next chance card say that coming around the bend is a Dragoon patrol?
Making your getaway, do you risk cutting across country? How good is your horsemanship?

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2019, 01:41:12 AM »
To re-rail back towards Pony Express, seems the Paiute War was the biggest problem along the trail during the brief existence of the riders before telegraph took over.

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2019, 09:40:27 PM »
There are a few 28mm figures I imagine.  I like this one from Artizan.  He’s only had a token Role in VC, but if you come up with a cool side game, I may be tempted to adopt!

You have to build in lots of humour too.  I like the idea of one of the participants being the “Pawnee Express”. I’m sure you can find a suitable mounted plains Indian, convert him to carrying a mail bag?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 09:45:26 PM by Digits »