Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:20:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 6mm Soviet-Afghan War rules help  (Read 1498 times)

Offline Inkpaduta

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
6mm Soviet-Afghan War rules help
« on: November 07, 2019, 07:46:06 PM »
I am thinking of doing the war in 6mm. What rules would fellow gamers suggest? Any free rules out there to try?

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
Re: 6mm Soviet-Afghan War rules help
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2019, 11:10:11 PM »
Depending on the size of battle wanted I play the Afghan campaign with the unofficial Cold War variant of Battlegroup (with amendments from Modern Spearhead and Hind & Seek)

Last game a few weeks back was this one:
http://www.wargamersguild.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2429&sid=63053022db85d77dc0e9d33abdcae04d

For smaller games Crossfire is excellent and gives a very good feel to the battles.

Offline madman

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2019, 11:36:26 PM »
Hind & Seek.

I have played about a half dozen games. The scale is one unit is a single vehicle, weapon, group of troops (varies depending on unit organization) and infantry weapons team. It has a systems to give the mujaheddin strengths arising from assistance from locals and knowledge of local terrain among others. A unique feature is what are called "assets" which may or may not affect the combat of a scenario but can modify initial conditions or during game play. One thing (which I like) is infantry units can be affected reducing or in some cases eliminating their functionality during a turn and they don't "just die" but are affected by their morale being eroded by combat.

Downsides are lots of counters, units take quite a while to die but can never loose adverse morale results, there are no leaders and the play is IGOUGO.

Having said that I am working on some modifications to address these and other issues. That work has been stalled while I learn a skirmish game to play with my teen son. That game, No End in Sight, has a lot of great mechanisms I am looking to incorporate into my modifications wrt leaders and potential morale or casualty mechanics.

I am really pumped on the system, what I am working on are mostly tweaks.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 01:30:53 AM by madman »

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2019, 07:54:48 PM »
Nice looking game.
Excellent terrain.
Enjoyed the AAR.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2019, 08:43:05 PM »
.......... lots of counters.........

And then some!
This was the deal breaker for me with an otherwise excellent set of rules.  But on the plus side the "Dispersed" rule and the campaign system are worth the price of the book alone.
To include them is the amendment I mentioned to the "Unofficial" Cold War variant of Battlegroup that we play, along with the Command order arrow and order change concepts from Spearhead.

Afghanistan games should be all about surprises and the ability of the Soviets to predict and adapt to Mujahideen actions.

Nice looking game.
Excellent terrain.
Enjoyed the AAR.

Thanks.  I like to make an AAR a narrative summary of the tactics and actions rather than the dice rolls.
Being old and aware enough to have followed it happening The Soviet/Afghan war has fascinated me for years as a conflict, much more so than Vietnam.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 08:51:04 PM by robh »

Offline madman

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2019, 09:37:21 PM »
RobH

What is the unit scale? The most likely "battlegroup" I found on board game geek was for 28 mm which usually means individually mounted figures and skirmish scale.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2019, 10:21:07 PM »
Battlegroup and its "Kampfgruppe Normandy" predecessor are designed for 20mm individually based figures and play from Platoon up to Battalion level games.

I prefer 6mm because it is the best scale to game armoured warfare  ;)

I use the same figure bases for all my WW2 and Cold War gaming, they get used for Crossfire, KGN/Battlegroup,  Spearhead/MSH, Panzer Korps/Opfor, Rommel and Megablitz depending on what level of game we are playing.

I simply use a single 30x30mm base containing 6-8 6mm figures instead of 6-8 individually mounted 20mm figures.  For KGN/Battlegroup it has next to no impact on game mechanics.
If you decide to consider it as an option for the Soviet Afghan War PM me and I will run through the details.

Offline madman

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2019, 06:24:39 PM »
If you would be so kind as to PM me with them, or an email I would love to get a hold of different ways of looking at that theatre. Thank you.

Stephen

Offline Inkpaduta

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2019, 11:43:03 PM »
Anyone have any rule ideas for 6mm?

Offline smirnoff

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2019, 05:38:24 PM »
Anyone have any rule ideas for 6mm?