Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:02:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: I miss the Human armies in Warhammer-any alternatives?  (Read 7259 times)

Andrew_McGuire

Re: I miss the Human armies in Warhammer-any alternatives?
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2019, 06:27:25 PM »
I may well be the last person on here to have discovered this site

https://mjolnirvii.wixsite.com/blackorder

No you're not; that would be me. Thank you.

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2019, 06:40:08 PM »
That's our very own Knight-Captain Tyr's fine work:

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=108013.0

I'm glad to see it compiled on another website for easier referencing!

Offline petercooman123

• Scientist
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2019, 10:23:53 PM »
So, got back from crisis, and had a really lucky day, brettonian minis wise! Already made a post of my loot, but thought i'd mention the relevant stuff for this thread here as well.

found these in the bring and sell, very very happy!

and then went with these to fill out the rest of my brettonians

Have taken a look at the sprues already, and they look great!!

Offline ulverston

• Scientist
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2019, 10:49:48 PM »
Glad you had some luck! Its amazing that the Bretonnian stuff keeps turning up, they look good as well.

Had a bit of a spend myself this evening
From Perry miniatures Mercenaries £20 plus post
Warlord Landsknechts £16
1 Sprue of light cav Perry Wars of the Roses £8.00
Frostgrave Wizard Sprue £8.55
Stormcast Eternals £9.99

So an Imperial army of sorts is in the making, not sure which rule system yet but I will have a lot of pikes unless I raid the bits box for some muskets. Artillery and Command to follow....plus the odd bad guy.

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2019, 10:59:36 PM »
A good selection there. I'm building an Empire army ostensibly for 6th Edition, but am happy to tweak it as needed. It was always really weird to me that the Empire army list didn't have pikemen in it, given the lore. I'll be adding them and just inserting the pike rules over from WAB. I don't play with tournament-focussed players and ultimately it's a "dead game" so you can do what you want with it. The overall battle system of 6th Edition works nicely and is easy to play. Grab the Ravening Hordes supplement and you have a good set of army lists that are fairly "balanced" and on the low-fantasy side of things, too (compared with more recent fantasy games at least).

Offline petercooman123

• Scientist
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2019, 11:35:53 PM »
Glad you had some luck! Its amazing that the Bretonnian stuff keeps turning up, they look good as well.

Had a bit of a spend myself this evening
From Perry miniatures Mercenaries £20 plus post
Warlord Landsknechts £16
1 Sprue of light cav Perry Wars of the Roses £8.00
Frostgrave Wizard Sprue £8.55
Stormcast Eternals £9.99

So an Imperial army of sorts is in the making, not sure which rule system yet but I will have a lot of pikes unless I raid the bits box for some muskets. Artillery and Command to follow....plus the odd bad guy.

Good choice of sets!

HAve had the perry sets in hand today, but for brettonians, the fireforge sets just fit in more based on esthetics. Still nice that there are so many options these days!

Have fun mixing and matching!

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2019, 11:51:03 PM »
As mentioned Battle Masters is a good source of useable horses and the rider's need virtually no tweaking to fit in with Empire cavalry.
It's really worth keeping a regular eye on eBay for the game and parts .
Tonight I've just by sheer fluke picked up a virtually complete copy for an embarrassing price.
As my eighteen year old at University has just called asking for the Game to play at Uni with his mate's.
So quick panic look after confessing I've butchered the game to fill the ranks of my rapidly expanding force.(honestly you'd thought I'd streaked across the campus infront of him such was the disapproval. ::) I wouldn't mind but I bought it before I'd even met his mother. lol)

Offline Rabbitz

• Mad Scientist
    • Unit57
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2019, 12:29:51 AM »
The Brets are probably one of my favourite armies from the old GW line, along with Tomb Kings. 

It seems like you can still find a few on Facebook trading groups and eBay if you wanted GW models. 
I’ve not played a mass battle fantasy game in a very long time now but the Mantic mass battle system Kings of War  is very popular in Australia also.

https://unit57inminiature.blogspot.com/search/label/Warhammer%20Fantasy%20-%20Bretonnians?m=1

Integrity is non negotiable

My little blog

www.unit57inminiature.blogspot.com.au

Offline petercooman123

• Scientist
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2019, 12:30:10 AM »
Don't forget lionheart, that game has some useable minis as well! (i have 3 copies  :D)

Offline petercooman123

• Scientist
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2019, 12:32:56 AM »
The Brets are probably one of my favourite armies from the old GW line, along with Tomb Kings. 

It seems like you can still find a few on Facebook trading groups and eBay if you wanted GW models. 
I’ve not played a mass battle fantasy game in a very long time now but the Mantic mass battle system Kings of War  is very popular in Australia also.

https://unit57inminiature.blogspot.com/search/label/Warhammer%20Fantasy%20-%20Bretonnians?m=1

The brets where my first warhammer army (well more warband, being 12 then and not having much money to spend), andd will always have a special spot. That's why i keep buying stuff for them even though i hardly ever play. I hope lion/dragon rampant can change that!

Offline ulverston

• Scientist
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2019, 08:32:10 AM »
Thanks for thhe comments and help Chaps, given that Bretonnians and Empire are still so popular I think Games Workshop are missing out? I had to laugh about your sons disapproval Tin Shed... I think my oldest pot of paint pre dates two of my children one of whom turned 17 yesterday.

As a bunch of gamers who enjoy these armies I am assuming we are of a certain age? I am a very young/ immature 52.

My editions of Warhammer are possibly the first, its yellow with a cheeky Orc on the front and my other edition is possibly the eighth... a dwarf is on the front of that one. I was intending to use Age of Sigmar because they are simple but will have another read about the Kings of War set. Playing solo does not really throw up the problem of what my opponents are using thank fully.

A few games have been mentioned that I have never heard of so I will have a look at those as well... maybe a last purchase of the mdf church... my miniatures will be devout I am sure.

To update the figures will have a church, £19.90 on the bay and I also purchased Artizan designs Landsknecht Command and looters. So that's it for now with the buying, I will put the Russians out of sight for now to avoid feeling guilty...
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 08:54:40 AM by ulverston »

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2019, 12:33:30 PM »
I see myself more as a twenty five year old with an additional twenty five years worth of experience.  lol

Here's a couple of pics of the inside just for fun,and a little bit of karma for the Battle Masters set.

When it arrives I'll have the archers and cannon spare .If its of interest to anyone.

Offline ulverston

• Scientist
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2019, 12:51:58 PM »
Tin Shed Sir, I bought the church after seeing what you had done with one similar....absolutely amazing work. Petercooman you will be busy with all those figures....so many!
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 12:55:33 PM by ulverston »

Offline petercooman123

• Scientist
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2019, 01:13:10 PM »
Petercooman you will be busy with all those figures....so many!

Well, all in all i bought 396 or so minis. I painted 600 already this year so just filling the void in the lead/plastic mountain.

I'm 34 by the way, ans started wargaming with 5th ed warhammer. You know, the starter set with the bretonnians!

Offline ulverston

• Scientist
« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2019, 03:26:14 PM »
600 is a LOT of figures, well done mate that's impressive... I might be reaching the 80 mark this year. I think I bought around 100 last night.... 5th edition had the best figures in my opinion, the archers are a classic mini.