Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:32:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: I miss the Human armies in Warhammer-any alternatives?  (Read 7260 times)

Offline petercooman123

• Scientist
Re: I miss the Human armies in Warhammer-any alternatives?
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2019, 08:56:08 PM »
Your collection is so nice. Good to see those minis again, they were (and still are) amongst  the best that GW ever produced

Yes they are!

Still got some of the same era spearmen to paint up, and a bunch of archers! Also have a knight errant in a sealed blister, wainting untill i can source more of the chaps!!

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2019, 08:57:58 PM »
For metal miniatures, White Knight's Imperium LINK of any use to you?

They paint up very nicely.   :)

Offline ulverston

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2019, 09:35:25 PM »
Yes indeed they do look interesting. I have just opened the link and the site itself looks great as well.

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2019, 02:00:00 AM »
Also take a look at Gamezone, MOM Miniatures and Black Tree Design

Offline madzerker

• Bookworm
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2019, 06:45:54 AM »
I personally love the human minis for Song of Ice and Fire from CMoN. They will be a little bigger then historical minis or 28mm minis, but they really look neat in units.

Offline ulverston

• Scientist
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2019, 06:57:14 AM »
They do indeed look nice Madzerker but their size sort of puts me off

Offline ulverston

• Scientist
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2019, 07:45:07 AM »
I may well be the last person on here to have discovered this site

https://mjolnirvii.wixsite.com/blackorder

If you have not been I urge you to take a look. I was up early (a Saturday!) just so that I could drift around this lovely site...

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2019, 09:57:01 AM »
For another suggestion the Wargames Foundry Late Medieval and Early Renaissance Pike-and-Shot ranges might be worth a look if you're open to metals, they've got some of that old classic GW look to 'em!

Offline ulverston

• Scientist
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2019, 10:33:45 AM »
Yes I will take a look at almost anything, plastic is obviously easier to convert but I think there are plenty of useful metals out there.

I keep floating back to Games Workshop to browse but the prices are a bit eyewatering... as a bad guy leader this figure is just the thing....sadly the price is not!

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Harbinger-Of-Decay

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2019, 11:07:19 AM »
For another suggestion the Wargames Foundry Late Medieval and Early Renaissance Pike-and-Shot ranges might be worth a look if you're open to metals, they've got some of that old classic GW look to 'em!

My Empire army is made up of Foundry Landsknechts, they are lovely figures. There are some Artizan figures in there too, which are equally excellent. Some are a tad smaller than the 6th Edition Empire Plastics but those were notoriously massive anyway. The Estalian contingent is made up of Foundry's Conquistador range and some TAG Renaissance Spanish troops. All in all everything looks the right size on the tabletop. I've also noticed recently that when you compare sized of figures, differences become way less obvious once they're all painted. Bare metal differences seem more noticeable to my eye.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2019, 11:23:16 AM »
 lol Just. To throw a spanner in the works I'm a couple weeks off building a city wall/ castle .
I'll do a WIP/tutorial if your interested?

Back on topic.

(I haven't bought them or even really googled for  painted versions, as I've around thirty Empire  cavalry in various stages of CBA.)

There's super cheap 28mm ' Ex illis' cavalry on EBay .
If you can live with a single horse pose.
On mass a single pose can be visually quite pleasing -that said it would be quite a simple task to tweak leg positions. On these.
If its something you fancy...

Then you can have fifty (yes 50) all on the frames for £15.
Or 20 for a tenner.

(Sorry for the pic but I can never ger a link to work on my phone. ::) )

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2019, 11:53:24 AM »
I was looking at those just yesterday. Great value, but I think they're *massive*.

I am envious of your Empire cavalry. It's the thing I'm struggling to proxy as a lot of historical ranges have really small horses (in comparison to the Empire Knights, etc)

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2019, 03:04:11 PM »
Yes I will take a look at almost anything, plastic is obviously easier to convert but I think there are plenty of useful metals out there.

I keep floating back to Games Workshop to browse but the prices are a bit eyewatering... as a bad guy leader this figure is just the thing....sadly the price is not!

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Harbinger-Of-Decay

If GW has anything going for them price wise, it's that the sheer volume of sales produces regular bargains on the secondary market.  It might take a while for any given thing to show up at an acceptable price, but if you keep checking ebay and the like you'll probably get lucky eventually.  That Harbinger fig has at least one current listing at about $12, although it's got seven bids ATM and will probably end higher.

That said, if you just want a scythe-wielding cavalry fig there are almost certainly even cheaper options out there even before considering conversions.

Offline ulverston

• Scientist
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2019, 03:07:48 PM »
I have never heard of Ex Illis before but it looks like an interesting game with some nice figures but at the moment I will shy away from the cavalry...actually wrestling with my conscience about buying one cavalry figure for £23 :o

Not decided yet, I suppose its best to wait till 10PM after a bit of dutch courage. I have been watching this painter rescue figures from ebay which is fascinating...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hCT7h52Fr8

There does not appear to be much on the second hand market for this "period" but plenty of potential for newer kit bashing. What should have been a distraction has pushed my Russians down the painting queue.

Offline LotB

• Scientist
    • NARAN TEAM TURIN
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2019, 05:58:58 PM »
Hi,
you can have an example of an army of "fantasy Men", that is of medieval Men-at-Arm (since you mention the Empire and Bretonnia of GW), you can see this post of one of the two battles that we played at a convention in our city (Turin - Italy):
 http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=120735.0
We as miniatures, for the Men-at-Arm we preferably use those of Front Rank of the two series "War of the 100 years" and "War of the two roses", but also GW miniatures (oldhammer), Grenadier (now sold by Mirliton) and others that we should find suitable as a scale, no matter what brand they are.
For the rules we use Fantasy Warriors, in an "expanded" version curated by us (Naran fantasy Wars), the Army of Men-at-Arma can be found on this page of our site:
http://www.naran.it/FantasyWars/Eserciti/Uomini-Arme.htm