Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:14:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689608
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 662
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Acrylic varnish and enamel filters and washes  (Read 955 times)

Offline Mr Kissyfur

• Bookworm
Acrylic varnish and enamel filters and washes
« on: November 08, 2019, 10:16:39 PM »
Hello,
I've been using Daler Rowney acrylic varnish ahead of applying AK Interactive enamel based products. The enamel thinners (even just from the filter straight out of the bottle) seem to be (heh) interacting with the acrylic varnish, even seeming to strip it in places.
I've tried searching on this... is this a peculiarity of Daler Rowney? I had thought acrylic was the right sort of varnish to use ahead of thinned enamel products or oil washes etc.
Any help gratefully received, even if it's just to tell me I'm an idiot.
Thanks
Chris

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: Acrylic varnish and enamel filters and washes
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2019, 10:44:49 PM »
Hello,
I've been using Daler Rowney acrylic varnish ahead of applying AK Interactive enamel based products. The enamel thinners (even just from the filter straight out of the bottle) seem to be (heh) interacting with the acrylic varnish, even seeming to strip it in places.
I've tried searching on this... is this a peculiarity of Daler Rowney? I had thought acrylic was the right sort of varnish to use ahead of thinned enamel products or oil washes etc.
Any help gratefully received, even if it's just to tell me I'm an idiot.
Thanks
Chris

I don't know but at Art College we were always taught that it was OK to put oil on acrylic but not the other way around.

Something in your enamel is obviously interacting with the acrylic. Best avoided IMHO.

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2019, 11:47:08 AM »
I'm not in the least surprised that enamel thinners will strip acrylic varnish. I'd use a polyurethane varnish and leave for at least 48 hours, but maybe even better to use water or shellac based inks rather than enamel ones (most artist's inks are shellac based).

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2019, 04:24:12 PM »
I don't know but at Art College we were always taught that it was OK to put oil on acrylic but not the other way around.
Same but, interestingly, as a house painter (two decades ago) we were taught you could put acrylic paint over an oil based primer but not the reverse.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2019, 04:34:38 PM »
Same but, interestingly, as a house painter (two decades ago) we were taught you could put acrylic paint over an oil based primer but not the reverse.

It's the golden rule of oil painting my friend ;) :)

Offline Deano

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Steve Dean Painting
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2019, 05:15:27 PM »
Yep, enamel thinners will take off DR acrylic varnish. I think it even says so on the label?

Go with the polyurethane varnish.

Offline Mr Kissyfur

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2019, 09:54:06 AM »
Odd - the AK Interactive varnish they sell to use before their enamel based products says it is acrylic as well, and I’m sure I’ve read elsewhere that acrylic varnish should be fine before enamel based products and their thinners (and oil washes with mineral thinners)...  or are not all acrylic varnishes created equal?

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2019, 11:31:29 AM »
Odd - the AK Interactive varnish they sell to use before their enamel based products says it is acrylic as well, and I’m sure I’ve read elsewhere that acrylic varnish should be fine before enamel based products and their thinners (and oil washes with mineral thinners)...  or are not all acrylic varnishes created equal?

I'm certain that it will come down to what chemicals are in the respective filters and paints. Perhaps there's an additive that offsets the interaction between the acrylic and the oil based filter?

I'm sure there's an explanation.

What I would *not* do is try it with a home made version :)

Offline Keith

• Mastermind
    • Small Wars Blog
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2019, 12:14:11 PM »
FWIW I think the GW 'Ardcoat is Acrylic based but holds up well to enamel washes etc. (at least for me).
I'm not even very patient so suspect with a full 24hr drying time it should be fine for most applications.

n.b. it's not actually a great matt varnish (probably why it's quite resistant) so perhaps not a good choice for a final protective coat if you want a dead-matt finish.
An infrequent Blog http://small-wars.com