Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:32:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686589
  • Total Topics: 118109
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Great War Miniatures US expansions?  (Read 2050 times)

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
Great War Miniatures US expansions?
« on: November 09, 2019, 12:02:20 AM »
I am mightily struggling to come up with trench raiders, artillery crew, and cavalry to match my GW minis Americans. Brigade Games and Old Glory are much too small to work, and I am a stickler for scale. I know there have been a few new releases from GWM, notably the German Uhlans. Has anyone heard if the Americans will be revisited at some point to “finish” (by my own accounting at least) the range. The late war Germans and Brit ranges are very comprehensive but the Doughboys are hard to field a complete force with, at least for a completionist like me. Anyone know how to get in touch with GWM?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 12:07:30 AM by axabrax »

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Re: Great War Miniatures US expansions?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2019, 08:26:42 AM »
I feel your pain. I have started a GWM force twice but then sold the figures on as there wasn’t the scope to expand with artillery etc. beyond a platoon with HMG support weapons. It is a shame as IMHO they are the nicest sculps in the GWM WW1 range.

Aly Morrison is the sculptor, a contributor to this forum. I have requested additions to the US range in the past but I am aware he is a very busy chap and like many wargamers (myself included) you really only want to direct your energies into whatever period you are currently into.

In addition, my WW1 US figures were hard to sell which indicated to me this is rather a niche interest so it may not be economically viable to add more to the range.

My understanding is many American troops were issued with British uniforms at the outset so you could use GWM Brits for artillery at least I suppose?

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2019, 05:09:02 PM »
Thought about that but the Brit arty are sold out anyway. Maybe eBay. I also thought about trying to file down the collars on the Brit uniforms but gave it a go and it looked BAD. My guess is your right that the Dougboys are an extreme niche and don’t sell too well. Maybe I will have some done in commission...

Offline Will Bailie

• Mastermind
    • Will's toy soldier blog
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2019, 05:53:35 PM »
I'm surprised by your comment that Brigade Games are too small.  I don't have any of their Americans, but I've some of their other miniatures.  Since one of your questions is about support weapons, here's a comparison of the BG Canon de 75mm with French crew and the GWM German field gun.

Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 05:55:11 PM by Will Bailie »

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2019, 03:39:37 PM »
Yeah the tin pot helmets on the BG are much smaller on the BG figs than they are on the GWM. There’s no way they could be the same piece of equipment and it’s especially conspicuous from a table-top view, i.e., above. Even in separate units it looks very off. Same holds true for the size and length of the rifles. I wish it weren’t true   :(

I'm surprised by your comment that Brigade Games are too small.  I don't have any of their Americans, but I've some of their other miniatures.  Since one of your questions is about support weapons, here's a comparison of the BG Canon de 75mm with French crew and the GWM German field gun.

Hope that helps.

Offline Will Bailie

• Mastermind
    • Will's toy soldier blog
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2019, 04:48:07 PM »
That's too bad.  I've not much more to suggest, then, unless you get the BG artillery crew and do a head swap.  That would get expensive very quickly though!

As for contacting GWM, their miniatures are carried by North Star, so maybe contact Nick and ask him?

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2019, 07:46:24 PM »
As I mentioned above, Aly Morrison is the sculptor, a contributor to this forum so you might be best PMing him.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 10:34:57 AM by armchairgeneral »

Offline PdMacMahon

• Schoolboy
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2019, 04:13:36 AM »
The Phalanx consortium will be releasing US WWI miniatures for Firelock Games new WWI skirmishis rules Blood and Valor. The are billed as being slightly larger than other WWI miniatures ranges.
Link: http://thephalanxconsortium.com/wwi-us-army-1917-18-starter-box/

Offline Bowman

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2019, 09:45:50 PM »
......The are billed as being slightly larger than other WWI miniatures ranges.......

I was worried about this. The increased size of the Blood and Plunder figures made them useless for matching with other 28mm pirates. They actually promised that the Blood and Valour figures would match existing figure lines better. Be interested to see how this turns out.
"This I have known ever since I stretched out my fingers to the abomination within that great gilded frame; stretched out my fingers and touched a cold and unyielding surface of polished glass." 

H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Offline PdMacMahon

• Schoolboy
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2019, 11:14:06 PM »
I was worried about this. The increased size of the Blood and Plunder figures made them useless for matching with other 28mm pirates. They actually promised that the Blood and Valour figures would match existing figure lines better. Be interested to see how this turns out.

Well they have stated that match the size of the B&P models. It is a way to try to corner a piece of the market, I guess, making them somewhat incompatible with other ranges. (For the record, I am not defending them for it, just trying to search for the rationale, as they are clearly conscious of the fact they are bigger.)
To some degree you can mitigate the size difference with basing, but that doesn't really sit well with most gamers.