Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:23:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690618
  • Total Topics: 118340
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Equites Legionaires  (Read 1113 times)

Offline Macunaima

• Scientist
Equites Legionaires
« on: November 09, 2019, 03:40:27 AM »
Does anyone have any idea as to how the 120 cavalry attached to the imperial Roman legions looked? What type and color shields they carried, for example?

Offline moiterei_1984

• Mad Scientist
    • My hobby blog
Re: Equites Legionaires
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2019, 06:19:43 AM »
I guess you're talking Early Imperial? I.e. your typical Hollywood Romans? If so I would bet not much different than the auxiliary ones. Certainly no curved scutum. But it's rather hard anyway to give definite answers for any kind of Roman equipment.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 06:21:18 AM by moiterei_1984 »

Offline custosarmorum

• Assistant
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2019, 09:19:31 PM »
The equipment of the legionary horsemen, equites legionis, was, it seems, very similar to that of the auxiliary cavalry troopers based on what pictorial evidence there is.  There is little evidence in terms of archaeology, although a number of pieces of cavalry sports armor have been found in legionary contexts and the adlocutio by Hadrian mentions legionary horsemen carrying out what might have been the "Petrine Throw" as described as part of the hippika gymnasia in Arrian's Taktika -- which would imply similar training and equipment.

The few tombstones we have of equites legionis do not give us much in terms of the type of helmet worn (the best preserved is from Bonn and is, unfortunately, bare-headed) but various auxiliary types are most likely and shields are generally oval or clipped oval types.  The sword is usually the spatha, but early on, say in the 20s A.D., the gladius might still have been carried (as show on the Arch at Orange).

One thing that would be that their commander was likely one of the high-ranking supernumerary centurions attached to the legion -- you could do a head swap to a helmet with the transverse crest to make them stand out -- rather than a tribune as previously thought.  Other officers know include the optio and vexillarius, who seem to have been part of the turma-like sub-units of legionary cavalry (there is no known legionary decurio so the sub-units were not turmae per se).  By the way, they were not "attached to the legion," but were drawn from the men already serving.  They remained. for administrative purposes, on the rolls of their century although they had their own barracks.

I would also rate them highly in wargames terms since they were not scouts and messengers as so often stated, but rather served as the legate's bodyguard unit on the battlefield and provided members of his personal bodyguard, the singulares legati legionis.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 09:24:27 PM by custosarmorum »

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2019, 09:57:02 PM »
Try looking for the Turma experiment 2018 in Carlisle. It was a Experimental Archeology and public display event.
Should help with some details your looking for.

Offline Macunaima

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2019, 12:20:00 AM »
Thanks! This was quite useful!