Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:38:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686502
  • Total Topics: 118105
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Foundry Paint System Issues  (Read 7453 times)

Offline Bravo Six

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Foundry Paint System Issues
« on: November 09, 2019, 03:58:48 AM »
A while back the Prof suggested a Foundry triad he'd used for something I inquired about so I recently took the plunge and bought my first triad. After extensive mixing, I applied the first color and it dried with a shiny sheen. Not off to a great start selling me on the Foundry system.

Anyone else had this issue? Or know what could be wrong with the paint?

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Foundry Paint System Issues
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2019, 04:11:02 AM »
I use a lot of foundry triads. Some are more matt than others but I never really thought they were too glossy.  That said, I always finish the figures with a matt varnish. My favorite spray can lately is Windsor and Newton Professional (used to be Testors Dull cote but had a few bad cans of that and moved on).   I also mix up W&N Galeria with Tamiya flat base when painting on a matt finish.

What triad are you using?
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline Bravo Six

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2019, 04:55:16 AM »
The Rawhide triad. Trying to acheive a dark desert base color I like.

Offline vexillia

• Mad Scientist
    • Vexillia
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2019, 08:52:06 AM »
A while back the Prof suggested a Foundry triad ... After extensive mixing, I applied the first color and it dried with a shiny sheen. Not off to a great start selling me on the Foundry system.

Anyone else had this issue? Or know what could be wrong with the paint?
This is not specific to Foundry paints.  The solution is simple: add a very small amount of talc via your palette.  For more details see - https://blog.vexillia.me.uk/2014/05/painting-tips-5c-matting-acrylics-with.html

Offline Dags

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2019, 09:18:13 AM »
Or add a drop of Tamiya Flat Base

But in answer to the original question, the Foundry paints have changed over the years and are nowhere near as good as they used to be.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2019, 01:47:57 PM »
To be honest, they have varied in quality massively over the years.

They are *very* hit and miss.

The original sets had good quality binders and pigments, so much so that I bought all their sets over the years.

Then came their WWII set. My habit is to open all the pots and shake them like crazy when I get a paint set. That was my *big* mistake!! About five years ago (when Partizan was in the tent outside Kelham)  took the set to Partizan where Wargames Foundry had a stall. They point blank refused to admit that there was anything wrong with the WWII sets and woulk not even entertain the idea of giving me my money back. OK, I had opened the paint 'tins' but they simply were not fit for purpose, which is legal grounds for returning said product.

The Foundry WWII set is  easily ***the worst*** paint set I have even shelled out for. The pigments are all extremely weak and you need to apply them three or four times to get any semblance of an even coat. For a company selling paints specifically for painting miniatures this is outrageous given the cost of the set.

They obviously don't give a hoot about their customers and are only interested in making a profit.

If I personally sold such bad quality paints to customers I would feel like I was scamming them.

Rant over.

My advice. Don't buy them.

EDIT: I should add, on the ye olde Steve Dean Forum, I wasn't the only painter that had major issues with their paints, the WWII set in particular.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 01:51:24 PM by Atheling »

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2019, 04:10:45 PM »
To be honest, they have varied in quality massively over the years.

They are *very* hit and miss.

The original sets had good quality binders and pigments, so much so that I bought all their sets over the years.

The Foundry WWII set is  easily ***the worst*** paint set I have even shelled out for. The pigments are all extremely weak and you need to apply them three or four times to get any semblance of an even coat. For a company selling paints specifically for painting miniatures this is outrageous given the cost of the set.

They obviously don't give a hoot about their customers and are only interested in making a profit.

If I personally sold such bad quality paints to customers I would feel like I was scamming them.

Rant over.

My advice. Don't buy them.

EDIT: I should add, on the ye olde Steve Dean Forum, I wasn't the only painter that had major issues with their paints, the WWII set in particular.

I bought over £500 worth (yes, seriously) of the 'system' last autumn ... and more than a few (edit) seem to be as described above.
there just doesn't seem to be enough pigment - you open them up, and there's nothing to stir, which in one sense is good for use straight out of the pot, but while some cover reasonably, many are as per Atheling's post, and don't ...
The reason why I didn't try and return them etc, is another story.

I guess they're useable if you work with them, and the triad organisation is nice ... but I can only assume that quality has taken a nose dive from the time their reputation was established , and perhaps is not the least reason why Kevin Dallimore is no longer with them. Dunno.

* - I should add that of those I've tried the finish did vary from dead matt to a high sheen.

I've tried many paint ranges now, and the only ones I find of a consistently high quality are Citadel and Scale75.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 11:12:02 AM by Bloggard »

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2019, 05:27:25 PM »
and perhaps is not the least reason why Kevin Dallimore is no longer with them. Dunno.

I would say that is almost a certainty.

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2019, 12:45:31 AM »
Or add a drop of Tamiya Flat Base

But in answer to the original question, the Foundry paints have changed over the years and are nowhere near as good as they used to be.

Given the above criticisms, I should note my foundry paints are several years old which would seem to make my experience out of date.  I bought most of them when Dallimore's painting book was published.   I would second the suggestion of adding talc or flat base to the pots as worth trying to salvage what you have.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2019, 07:50:43 AM »
Given the above criticisms, I should note my foundry paints are several years old which would seem to make my experience out of date.  I bought most of them when Dallimore's painting book was published.   I would second the suggestion of adding talc or flat base to the pots as worth trying to salvage what you have.

Or don't bother with any tomfoolery and just buy better quality paints!

My top recommendations would be Vallejo, Army Painter or top of the list for me; Andrea.

Offline PhilB

• Scientist
    • A Dragontooth Grognard
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2019, 09:54:16 PM »
I guess I got lucky. I bought a hundred or so Foundry paints some 7-8 years ago, and haven't used up a single one yet. I do supplement some colors (black, brown...) with craft paint, but all my Foundry pots cover nicely and give good results.

If Foundry paints have declined in quality, I guess I got in under the bell.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2019, 06:39:11 AM »
I guess I got lucky. I bought a hundred or so Foundry paints some 7-8 years ago, and haven't used up a single one yet. I do supplement some colors (black, brown...) with craft paint, but all my Foundry pots cover nicely and give good results.

Did you buy any of the WWII set? I feel like they were released about seven or eight years ago, though I could be wrong(?). If so I'd love to hear about how well they cover. I bought them when they first came out. BTW, this isn't about being lucky, it's about a company knowingly selling a sub standard product. They refused to give me my money back, which is at least morally wrong, right?

Most of my paint is Vallejo and Andrea. Andrea being the best paint by a good margin IMHO. I never use craft paints on models., only terrain and then it get's a gloss then matt varnish spray.

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2019, 11:44:37 AM »
I've not bought any of their paints lately, but the ones I have from a few years ago are fine (including a couple of WW2 colours). The thing I find is that the little plastic lids eventually split or break and the paint dries out. I have the same issues with other brands which use the same sort of plastic lids. I tend to use 'soft texture' artists colours where possible as they have very good light fast pigments, don't dry out, and also work out cheaper as them come in bigger jars. Vallejo, dropper bottles are also pretty good so long as your store them upside down; if you store them the right way up you have to spend ages shaking them before each use.

Offline Drunkendwarf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2019, 12:17:17 PM »
Also a buyer from the first batch :D, no problems so far but bought some triads last saturday at Crisis. I also bought some WW2 colours when theycame out; some are good, some not so.

The thing I find is that the little plastic lids eventually split or break and the paint dries out. I have the same issues with other brands which use the same sort of plastic lids.
There are replacement lids (I also needed them).
https://www.warcolours.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=155
https://www.blackhat.co.uk/product/paint-pot-lid/

DJ

Offline Brandlin

• Mad Scientist
    • Brandlin
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2019, 04:19:12 PM »

Me too. Not had a single problem.