Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 03:55:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1685051
  • Total Topics: 118007
  • Online Today: 766
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Foundry Paint System Issues  (Read 7411 times)

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Re: Foundry Paint System Issues
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2019, 03:46:48 PM »
Most of my paints are Foundry now. I have not had any particular issue with paint consistency and coverage, I have just found their triad shades variable with sometimes say the A & B colours appearing to be the same and the C colour markedly different from the A & B. I wondered if it was just a labelling issue as the labels come off easily?

I appreciate any decent painter mixes their highlights as they go but for someone like me who just paints to a wargames standard, the Foundry triads are very convenient. Do any other paint suppliers do triads like Foundry do?

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2019, 04:17:40 PM »
Most of my paints are Foundry now. I have not had any particular issue with paint consistency and coverage, I have just found their triad shades variable with sometimes say the A & B colours appearing to be the same and the C colour markedly different from the A & B. I wondered if it was just a labelling issue as the labels come off easily?

I appreciate any decent painter mixes their highlights as they go but for someone like me who just paints to a wargames standard, the Foundry triads are very convenient. Do any other paint suppliers do triads like Foundry do?
Coat D'Arms do: link.

Offline Cosmotiger

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2019, 05:10:29 PM »

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2019, 08:24:28 PM »
... I have just found their triad shades variable with sometimes say the A & B colours appearing to be the same and the C colour markedly different from the A & B. I wondered if it was just a labelling issue as the labels come off easily?

yes - that is another issue with the foundry triads that I too noticed -

I tried Reaper triads a few weeks back as well, including the 'HD' (or bones) variant (supposedly more pigment etc), and I was underwhelmed tbh. But many use them (in the States) I appreciate.

Yes, the miniature-heroes guy stocks them.

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2019, 08:57:49 PM »
Do Reaper have a UK or EU outlet?

Reaper have a UK presence now.

Go to https://www.reapermini.com/paints and select the GBP option from the currency list in the top left.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2019, 10:22:09 PM »
Reaper have a UK presence now.

Go to https://www.reapermini.com/paints and select the GBP option from the currency list in the top left.

Offline redzed

• Mastermind
    • redzed
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2019, 11:46:51 PM »
the Foundry paints have changed over the years and are nowhere near as good as they used to be.
They're shite now, I bought a few dozen last year to finish an army, absolutely dreadful, no pigment no 'flow' to them just coloured piss water really.

Then came their WWII set.
I too bought the range on release, I got my money back.

Commission Painting undertaken, PM or email me.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2019, 06:14:19 AM »
They're shite now, I bought a few dozen last year to finish an army, absolutely dreadful, no pigment no 'flow' to them just coloured piss water really.

Well put.

I too bought the range on release, I got my money back.

They refused top give me my money back despite Foundry having a stall at Partizan, citing that I had opened them so it was not going to happen. This sounds reasonable on their part until you realise that their product was not fit for purpose, therefore being a substandard product I was entitled to get my money back.  :-X

Also, how do you find out if the paints are fit for purpose without opening the pots????   >:( >:( >:(

You know, I'm going to send them an official again complaint anyway.

Offline majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2019, 06:36:18 AM »
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 09:15:34 AM by majorsmith »

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2019, 07:22:44 AM »
even when they first came out and Kev dallimore was using them a lot I don’t think they were ever as good as say GW, vallegio or even Andrea

That's the very point some of us are trying to get across; the paints used to be good and the company used the good name of their paints to sell inferior (actually completely crap!) paints later on.

I would go so far as to say that it's morally wrong IMHO.

Offline majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2019, 09:04:54 AM »
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 09:15:51 AM by majorsmith »

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2019, 10:46:07 AM »
well, to tie up a few of the, er..., threads in this thread from my pov ...

wish I'd bloomin' tried the cote d'arms triads now (I'd forgotten about them but ... ) more limited range, but probably decently useable.

I'm certainly v. disappointed with Foundry over this - they've clearly had enough feedback over quite some period of time to know there's a problem but:

a) still describe their paints as having unusually high pigment content and coverage.
Whether one finds them useable or not - this clearly isn't the case.
b) give the impression that Dallimore uses / endorses the paints (they're still claiming to be bringing out a revised version of his 'how to' book).
It was seeing his results for Northstar on this forum that really sold me on investing in their system - although I fully accept that his (apparently) using AP products now is 'out there' if one looks hard enough.
I remember now I looked at cote d'arms - but as reviews suggested they were ok, but not the best, I went with Foundry.

in the interests of balance, the 'coloured piss' comment above is certainly true for more than a few of the Foundry range going by what I've tried, but not all of them (although they're all, as far as I can tell, unsually 'thin' in consistency compared to most of the competition).

ultimately I'm left with a load of paints that, ironically, this thread has led me to conclude can't, with a clear conscience, be sold on.
And I've only myself to blame for being such a wuss last year and not tackling them about it (but I'd had enough bother getting the paints in the first place, the poor customer servce thread/s were doing the rounds at the time and I'm no tough guy when it comes to arguing the toss).
My phone calls to them hadn't given me much confidence in being treated respectfully / professionally - although 'Lucy' was good, helpful and pleasant. The blokes not so much. I don't think any of my emails were answered).

I suppose I was hoping I'd wake up one day, find out it was 'me', and the paints would all perform as hoped / expected.
This thread gives the lie to that daydream ...

« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 11:19:28 AM by Bloggard »