Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 02:13:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689754
  • Total Topics: 118293
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Foundry Paint System Issues  (Read 7547 times)

Offline redzed

• Mastermind
    • redzed
Re: Foundry Paint System Issues
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2019, 11:03:12 AM »
I suppose I was hoping I'd wake up one day, find out it was 'me', and the paints would all perform as hoped / expected.
This thread gives the lie to that daydream ...
They can be made to work if you have an extensive range of your own paint, pigments, additives etc. 
In your case I'd start again and build up slowly, not the answer you'd want to hear I know :'(

NORTHSTAR MAGAZINE  click on the 'Latest' tab for How To's.

Commission Painting undertaken, PM or email me.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2019, 12:01:23 PM »
well, to tie up a few of the, er..., threads in this thread from my pov ...

wish I'd bloomin' tried the cote d'arms triads now (I'd forgotten about them but ... ) more limited range, but probably decently useable.

I'm certainly v. disappointed with Foundry over this - they've clearly had enough feedback over quite some period of time to know there's a problem but:

a) still describe their paints as having unusually high pigment content and coverage.
Whether one finds them useable or not - this clearly isn't the case.
b) give the impression that Dallimore uses / endorses the paints (they're still claiming to be bringing out a revised version of his 'how to' book).
It was seeing his results for Northstar on this forum that really sold me on investing in their system - although I fully accept that his (apparently) using AP products now is 'out there' if one looks hard enough.
I remember now I looked at cote d'arms - but as reviews suggested they were ok, but not the best, I went with Foundry.

in the interests of balance, the 'coloured piss' comment above is certainly true for more than a few of the Foundry range going by what I've tried, but not all of them (although they're all, as far as I can tell, unsually 'thin' in consistency compared to most of the competition).

ultimately I'm left with a load of paints that, ironically, this thread has led me to conclude can't, with a clear conscience, be sold on.
And I've only myself to blame for being such a wuss last year and not tackling them about it (but I'd had enough bother getting the paints in the first place, the poor customer servce thread/s were doing the rounds at the time and I'm no tough guy when it comes to arguing the toss).
My phone calls to them hadn't given me much confidence in being treated respectfully / professionally - although 'Lucy' was good, helpful and pleasant. The blokes not so much. I don't think any of my emails were answered).

I suppose I was hoping I'd wake up one day, find out it was 'me', and the paints would all perform as hoped / expected.
This thread gives the lie to that daydream ...

Well, to put it bluntly, when I tried to return my paints in person; paints which were "not fit for purpose" and Foundry refused to refund me, they were breaking UK law. I don't know how much more explicit i can be on the subject.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2019, 02:30:45 PM »
They can be made to work if you have an extensive range of your own paint, pigments, additives etc. 
In your case I'd start again and build up slowly, not the answer you'd want to hear I know :'(

NORTHSTAR MAGAZINE  click on the 'Latest' tab for How To's.

thanks - I've many other paints - too many tbh. In some respects my disatisfaction with Foundry has led me to other areas which I might not otherwise have looked at closely ... so maybe it's even for the best, but a flipping expensive way to get there!
I've seen Dallimore's NS how to s - where I became aware he was using AP products (confirmed by Nick on this board).
I have to say - given my experience of 10 -20 bottles I bought a few months back, I'm surprised. They seemed pretty variable too ... And threads here and elsewhere have been grist to the mill in terms of that opinion.

* I should add that I'm intrigued to see that the cote d'arms paint triads were developed in consultation with Steve Dean (I hope I'm right in saying that - so it says on the Black Hat 'site)  ... does he still use them I wonder - and if not why?

« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 03:14:18 PM by Bloggard »

Offline Deano

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Steve Dean Painting
« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2019, 10:56:24 PM »

* I should add that I'm intrigued to see that the cote d'arms paint triads were developed in consultation with Steve Dean (I hope I'm right in saying that - so it says on the Black Hat 'site)  ... does he still use them I wonder - and if not why?

I didn't develop the Cote d'Arms triads from scratch, I just tried to put their existing range into triad groups where I could :-)
It sounds like I've been lucky with my recent Foundry paints, had no problems, but I don't use too many of them nowadays. I currently use Foundry, Cote d'Arms, Reaper, Vallejo, GW, Andrea, Scale 75, Humbrol and Plaka - I think that's it. :-) I've had good and bad experiences with all of them :-)

« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 10:59:26 PM by Deano »

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2019, 11:23:28 PM »

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2019, 05:58:11 AM »
I didn't develop the Cote d'Arms triads from scratch, I just tried to put their existing range into triad groups where I could :-)
It sounds like I've been lucky with my recent Foundry paints, had no problems, but I don't use too many of them nowadays. I currently use Foundry, Cote d'Arms, Reaper, Vallejo, GW, Andrea, Scale 75, Humbrol and Plaka - I think that's it. :-) I've had good and bad experiences with all of them :-)

Steve,

Wasn't there a Vallejo 'triad' chart on the old forum too(?), or am I having a senior moment?  o_o lol

It would be extremely useful if so(?)

Offline Deano

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Steve Dean Painting
« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2019, 09:22:13 AM »
Steve,

Wasn't there a Vallejo 'triad' chart on the old forum too(?), or am I having a senior moment?  o_o lol

It would be extremely useful if so(?)

I think there was, but it's gone now :-(

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2019, 10:08:29 AM »

thanks for the clarification Deano  - I did put 'in consultation with', as I thought they might be over-stressing it tbh.

I guess your list says it all really (although Plaka ... aren't they the ones that really pong ...  :D ) ... no real one size fits all ...

although based on my experience I would still say that Citadel are made to a very high and consistent standard. And Scale 75 seem to make the only truly matt range (I have the full range - yes, I said I had a lot of paints, **d help me - and of those I've tried, they were all consistenly matt and of similar, good, coverage).
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 10:11:57 AM by Bloggard »

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2019, 11:06:43 AM »
I think there was, but it's gone now :-(

Damn..... I guess I'm going to have to try to work one out....

If I do get around to it I'll post it up.

Offline Mindenbrush

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2019, 01:45:58 PM »
Loki's Great Hall has a lot of Vallejo triads
http://napoleonicwargamingadventures.blogspot.com/p/vallejo-triad-charts.html

I have started using his horse video "triads" and they work really well.

@ Bloggard - you are using Scale 75 paints, how do you find them? I have a few and find that the first colour applied tends to absorb everything else applied over it unless mixed with a different paint brand. Extremely matt finish though.
Wargamers do it on a table.
YNWA - It is not a badge, it is a family crest
Montreal Historical Wargaming Club

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2019, 03:37:31 PM »
I must admit, Mindenbrush, that I haven't got to the stage of layering up - just  tested a number of bottles as base layers, which, as you say, were admirably matt.

didn't occur to me there might be some problem with layering up from that - which just goes to show how careful you've got to be with recommendations ...  ???
that sounds like a very peculiar issue, which it's hard to imagine in the mind's eye. While the scale75s didn't cover quite as well as Citadel, they still seemed pretty good (certainly in comparison with AP and Reaper for example), so I'm really surprised that they seem to lack opacity when used for layering.
Do you prime black or white - I alway use the latter which might help avoid it?

In all honesty the Foundry debacle has led me to continue experimenting - and have ended up with the Citadel Contrast system.
Some years back I was trying to work with inks as I like their brilliance and speed of application, together with a kind of inbuilt degree of self-shading - but was having to mix my own to get colour variations which proved too unreliable and time-consuming.
The Contrast paints range, together with subsequent washes to taste, has speeded things up for me hugely, with results I'm generally content with ...

** and what a lot of great work from Loki's Hall on the Vallejo triads, and how wonderful of him to share the results like that.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 03:55:00 PM by Bloggard »

Offline redzed

• Mastermind
    • redzed
« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2019, 08:30:03 PM »
I have a few and ....
Tried their metallics?  Lovely range, smooth as normal paint.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #57 on: November 16, 2019, 08:38:49 PM »
There are replacement lids (I also needed them).
https://www.warcolours.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=155
https://www.blackhat.co.uk/product/paint-pot-lid/

DJ

You know what, I checked out those links and the price was about the same as the empty pots & lids from eBay! I think I'll just keep on buying those and end up with too many pots, but thanks anyway, much appreciated.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #58 on: November 17, 2019, 02:32:48 AM »
You know what, I checked out those links and the price was about the same as the empty pots & lids from eBay! I think I'll just keep on buying those and end up with too many pots, but thanks anyway, much appreciated.

I bought new lids for my foundry paints from here:
https://www.theplasticbottlescompany.com/shop/product/cap-20mm-tamper-evident-flip-top-white/
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline Brandlin

• Mad Scientist
    • Brandlin
« Reply #59 on: November 17, 2019, 12:43:32 PM »
Damn..... I guess I'm going to have to try to work one out....
If I do get around to it I'll post it up.

This kind of thing would be really good.