Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:29:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: (Commercial) New Steel Fist 15mm English civil war sculpts now on Kickstarter  (Read 12048 times)

Offline Sculptorton

• Assistant
This is part of an ambitious new project to make the most detailed 15mm range of English Civil War figures to date.
I know many many companies have done this range but like all great subjects I wanted to do my own take on it.
Further I have recently discovered I’m directly related to the Grenviles of the Cornish campaigns so I had to make the range!

This is a peak of one of my masters which is separate from the horse the figures are exactly 15mm from base of foot to top of skull.
All the horse masters are now done and I will show previews in the coming weeks.
Also I’m well on my way through the infantry masters.
I have previously only sculpted 28mm figures but really wanted to see larger units but without sacrificing detail.
This will be a very big range with lots of variety in each troop type so you can have truly grand sized units with the same detail as much larger figures.
There will be painting tutorials too so you can see how figures in this small size can be painted quite easily without a microscope!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1527901373/steel-fist-miniatures-english-civil-war-in-15mm?ref=ksr_email_creator_launch

« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 11:04:02 AM by Sculptorton »

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
Re: New 15mm English civil war Cuirassier by Oliver James
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2019, 12:56:04 PM »
He is lovely, all done to the quality will make for an excellent range.

True 15mm (none of this "to the eye crap") will match perfectly with the Matchlock and Testudo ECW/30yrs War ranges which are currently vie for the title of " most detailed 15mm range of English Civil War figures to date"

Beware though, ECW fans are second only to Napoleonic grognards for their feral desire to rip into anything they deem ahistoric or based on research they deem out of date.

Offline Radar

• Librarian
    • KeepYourPowderDry
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2019, 06:26:48 PM »
That's a really nice sculpt. Cracking horse too. I'd be interested to see a foot soldier next to a scale in millimetres.

Not quite sure where the ECW grognard notion comes from, never come across it myself, theres so many unknowns about the conflicts that I don't think it could be possible to be a button counter.

As the owner of some fairly large Peter Pig armies, I'd be adding to my collection rather than buying whole armies (sorry!).

Some questions: pikes - cast on or open handed? Civilians? Siege engineers with siege lobster pot and solid tassets? Generic generals or named personalities, or both?

And good luck
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 10:04:45 PM by Radar »
www.keepyourpowderdry.co.uk gaming the British Civil Wars in 15mm, and home of the ECW travelogue - dreadful painting, mediocre prose

Offline Sculptorton

• Assistant
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2019, 02:06:31 PM »
Thanks for the comments
It is important to me to get them as accurate as I can so I have been doing a lot of research but time will tell if I get anything wrong!

I will post a foot figure soon next to a millimetre scale.

The pike will be open handed
And I will be including lots of personality figures too.
I will be doing siege engineers too but not in the first releases.
I want to keep certain aspects of what will make my range unique compared to other ranges under wraps for now though.

Offline Radar

• Librarian
    • KeepYourPowderDry
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2019, 03:59:08 PM »
Thanks for the reply.

You might find some of my pictures (KeepYourPowderDry.co.uk) useful - look at museums under the ECW travelogue heading. Some interesting artefacts I haven't seen represented in any scale/figure size. Fish scale riding gauntlets; a fish scale upper arm guard; siege engineer armour; a siege hat (possible zischagge style nose guard).

Offline Paul Richardson

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2019, 04:13:46 PM »
That's a lovely sculpt. It reminds me a bit of the 28mm Perry Miniatures cuirassiers. I'd buy it if only it was 28mm.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2019, 05:34:45 PM »
Holy smoke Oliver, you have the yes of an eagle!!

They are really, really good  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Online OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2019, 06:30:27 PM »
This all looks and sounds very promising.

Offline painterman

• Mad Scientist
    • le lay emprins
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2019, 06:46:44 PM »
A wonderful sculpt!
No problem at all in moving 'down scale' and I particularly love the horse pose.
Looking forward to seeing more!
Simon

Offline Friends of General Haig

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog:
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2019, 09:20:32 PM »
A really cracking sculpt.  I look forward to seeing the future releases.

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2019, 09:39:46 PM »
Interesting start
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Sculptorton

• Assistant
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2019, 01:23:52 PM »
Thanks again for all the positive input.

Thanks for the reply.

You might find some of my pictures (KeepYourPowderDry.co.uk) useful - look at museums under the ECW travelogue heading. Some interesting artefacts I haven't seen represented in any scale/figure size. Fish scale riding gauntlets; a fish scale upper arm guard; siege engineer armour; a siege hat (possible zischagge style nose guard).
I will be sure to look into that thanks!

Here is another of my masters without ink as he is getting remoulded.
This time it is a member of the Oxford horse charging in Swedish style.

Offline Paul Richardson

• Mad Scientist
Re: New 15mm English civil war Cuirassier by Oliver James new sculpt 11 nov
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2019, 01:48:03 PM »
Another lovely sculpt. The rider's pose is, imho, very natural, with just the right amount of bend at the waist.

Offline FlyXwire

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2019, 02:00:04 PM »
This will be a very big range with lots of variety in each troop type so you can have truly grand sized units with the same detail as much larger figures.
There will be painting tutorials too so you can see how figures in this small size can be painted quite easily without a microscope!

The range will be launched by Kickstarter early next year
Sounds wonderful - and will be anticipating the KS.

Will you be having a supporting website also - (for such things as hosting your painting tutorials)?

Offline Sculptorton

• Assistant
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2019, 04:41:02 PM »
Sounds wonderful - and will be anticipating the KS.

Will you be having a supporting website also - (for such things as hosting your painting tutorials)?

Thanks yes I’m in the process of organising a new website for the project.

Another lovely sculpt. The rider's pose is, imho, very natural, with just the right amount of bend at the waist.
Thanks I must say I fond of this one too!
Will post more soon....