Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:29:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Silmarillion Project UPDATE 8.3.20 Mablung's Bodyguard (Page 8)  (Read 20331 times)

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
Silmarillion Project UPDATE 8.3.20 Mablung's Bodyguard (Page 8)
« on: November 11, 2019, 01:10:22 PM »
I've been bitten by the Tolkien bug again after playing an excellent game with James Morris's excellent home-grown rules a few weeks ago. I've started painting Elves - GW Rivendell models to be precise. I know they aren't really very 'Silmarillion' what with their plate armour and weird swords, but I've always liked them. (Actually, I've done some converting to replace the swords, but more on that later.)

Anyway, I've got almost 52 models in various stages of base coating/dipping/dullcoating so I can start the highlighting. To relieve the monotony of this process, I've painted a banner for the Elven hero who will lead the army. I decided I wanted a generic force rather than one tied to a particular named hero/kingdom. So here it is: Based on the Elves' love of the stars and also the two trees of Valinor. It was tough to do with all those fine line details, but I'm dead pleased with it!

The first Elven infantry will hopefully be done within the next week or so. Watch this space!

« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 11:59:14 AM by guitarheroandy »

Offline Byblos

• Mad Scientist
  • Les Echelles du Levant ...
Re: Silmarillion Project
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2019, 01:17:25 PM »
Superb banner  :-*

Offline Swordisdrawn

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
  • '
    • Sword is Drawn
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2019, 02:54:33 PM »
Very smart banner. Look forward to seeing the elves. Have u decided on a colour pallette?
'The night is gone and the sword is drawn and the scabbard thrown away!'

Instagram Swordisdrawn264

Offline killshot

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2019, 03:36:39 PM »
Amazing free hand, I wouldn’t try anything that intricate

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2019, 03:37:09 PM »
Excellent!

I'm considering a silmarillion project myself but fancy a human/orc storyline (based around Turin) rather than and elvish one. 

Looking forward to seeing how you get on.

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2019, 04:24:24 PM »
Excellent banner!

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2019, 04:27:08 PM »
Very smart banner. Look forward to seeing the elves. Have u decided on a colour pallette?

Thank you.

Colour palette- Yes: I was inspired by these lines from the Silmarillion referring to the Host of Gondolin arriving at the Nirnaeth Arnoediad:

"For unsummoned and unlooked for, Turgon had opened the Leaguer of Gondolin and was come with an army 10,000 strong, with bright mail and long swords and spears like a forest... Now he hastened to the aid of his brother; and the Gondolindhrim were strong and clad in mail and their ranks shone like a river of steel in the sun."

Consequently, the armour will be silver, not the gold seen in Fellowship of the Ring movie. The tunics will be Foundry Arctic Grey and will have final highlights of white. They'll have hem decoration in Foundry Slate Grey. The cloaks will be Foundry Union Trouser Blue, with hem decoration in Foundry Union Blue and the waist sashes will be Foundry Royal Purple. Shields will be done in slivery metallics with Union Blue (Light) as a base - i.e. not all of the shield will be metallic and I'm thinking of painting the bosses as blue jewels, as I've seen this done in various armies online and it looks very cool. I'm hoping that this will give them a very bright look to match the above quote as much as possible.

Here's a WIP pic at the base coating stage. They look a bit crap here but they've had dip added since this was taken and they already look 200% better - once highlighted they'll really pop!

Offline Swordisdrawn

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
  • '
    • Sword is Drawn
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2019, 05:52:50 PM »
Excellent indeed. Really good choice of colours  :D

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2019, 06:15:30 PM »
Very well done banner! Evocative!  :-*
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2019, 06:30:39 AM »
Brilliant banner! Great project and I like your thought process on it. Looking forward to seeing your continuing progress.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
Re: Silmarillion Project UPDATE 14.11.19
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2019, 11:48:16 PM »
In order to spur myself on with this colossal painting task I've set myself, I have painted one figure to completion. This has been a real encouragement, not least because:
a) it's the first figure I've painted in months and months
b) I can still paint!
c) I love the colour scheme I've chosen.

I'm even more excited to complete the unit and get onto the others now.

Anyway, here are some pic. Not great photos as they were done on my phone late tonight but they'll give you an idea. I love the replacement sword and the Unreleased Miniatures Elf shield looks cool (the spearmen will have the stock GW shields.)
I'm also pleased with the conversion. The left arm repositioning has worked well, I think. I was going to paint hem decoration on the tunic, but once I'd done the cloak I realised that the tunic as well might be overkill. I might do that on the hero figures only, I think. Anyway, see what you think... (EDIT: Sorry about the huge picture size! I'll alter that in future...)

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2019, 12:56:05 AM »
Nice work!

The picture size seems fine to me,I can see your beautiful painting  :)
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2019, 06:06:18 AM »
Great work! Brilliant color scheme and conversion work.

Offline Swordisdrawn

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
  • '
    • Sword is Drawn
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2019, 06:41:27 AM »
Excellent. The colours really complement the elf miniature. Photo looks great to me. :o

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
Re: Silmarillion Project UPDATE 22.11.19
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2019, 11:30:35 PM »
So I finished the unit of swordsmen. I'm pleased with these. I like the colour scheme very much and the shining steel armour looks so much better than the gold from the movies (to me anyway.) I have a unit of archers and one of spearmen ready for highlighting next and am base coating a hero command base as well.

Photos aren't great - it's hard getting good pics in my house at any time of day, even with a daylight lamp, but this'll give you an idea.