Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:46:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Silmarillion Project UPDATE 8.3.20 Mablung's Bodyguard (Page 8)  (Read 20339 times)

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
Re: Silmarillion Project UPDATE 9.1.20 Yet More Orcs (Page 4)
« Reply #60 on: January 09, 2020, 10:20:00 PM »
The forges of Angband have been busy since Christmas in preparation for a Middle Earth gaming event in Nottingham on Saturday. I painted a second unit of pike-armed Orcs and two units of Orc archers plus an Orc hero. The pike-armed Orcs were tidied up having been bought from EBAY part-painted as per most of my Orc forces. One Uruk-hai scout archer in one of the units was the same. The Mordor Orc archer models and the hero were painted from scratch. I now have 8 combat Orc units - 2 with pike, 2 with spear and the rest with sword, 3 Orc archer units, a unit of trolls, 3 Orc heroes, a Werewolf hero and a firedrake. I have two units of wolf  riders in the painting queue. Quite a decent force! Here are pics of the recent additions.

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
Re: Silmarillion Project UPDATE 9.1.20 Yet More Orcs (Page 5)
« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2020, 06:34:36 AM »
Awesome, once more! Very good job, congrats!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2020, 04:49:07 PM »
Excellent! Your ebay strategy w/r/t the orcs seems to be paying off nicely :)

Offline Swordisdrawn

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
  • '
    • Sword is Drawn
« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2020, 06:31:59 PM »
Great stuff!
'The night is gone and the sword is drawn and the scabbard thrown away!'

Instagram Swordisdrawn264

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
Re: Silmarillion Project UPDATE 11.1.20 Gaming Day Pictures (Page 5)
« Reply #64 on: January 11, 2020, 09:32:09 PM »
Thanks for the positive comments, folks!

I took the collection to Nottingham for a gaming day today. If you've followed James Morris' posts in this forum about his Orc kitbashing, you might be interested on this too, as he was putting on one of the games we played. There are loads of pictures and a full write-up on my blog here: https://guitarheroandy.blogspot.com/2020/01/silmarillion-gaming-day-in-nottingham.html In the event, most of my Orcs were surplus to requirements - we had well over two hundred and fifty of the blighters, but my Elves took part.

Here are a few pics to whet your appetite. Check out the full report!

It was a fantastic day of gaming with like-minded folks and we hope to organise another later in the year.

I have more Elves on the painting table and am in the middle of some plastic kit bashing using Victrix models to create a more 'Tolkien-like' (as opposed to 'movie-like') force of Elves - Sindar this time. Watch this space as updates will keep on coming!

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
Re: Silmarillion Project UPDATE 11.1.20 Gaming Day Pictures (Page 5)
« Reply #65 on: January 12, 2020, 07:54:44 AM »
Great write up and pics, Andy! Thanks for coming along. 

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
Re: Silmarillion Project UPDATE 21.1.20 Plastic Kitbashed Sindar Elf (Page 5)
« Reply #66 on: January 21, 2020, 07:36:44 AM »
While I'm not abandoning my GW movie Elves yet (lots more to paint!) I have been doing a bit of historical kitbashing to give me some more 'book-like' Elves. This was prompted in part by my discovery of the artwork of Tom Loback; in particular his Battle of Brethil picture, which pits axe-armed Sindar and a bunch of men against an Orc legion. I thought I'd do some Doriath Sindar as everyone seems to have this Noldor fixation going... I know Thingol's lot didn't do a lot of fighting, but someone oughta do something with him and his troops - he can get some action in in our wargaming world anyway!
I've put this guy together from a Victrix Anglo-Dane Huscarl (body and top of helmet), Republican Roman (head) and a cloak from (I think) a Fireforge knight set (I was given a bag of about 20 cloaks by a friend tonight), plus an Oathmark feather plume. I'm REALLY pleased with this and will be adopting this approach with more Anglo-Dane Huscarl figures and with the Victrix Normans when they come out in the summer.I love the way the helmet has cheek pieces and a Dark Age look to it. I've attached the Loback pic as well just so you can see what I mean by the inspiration it gave me.
Here is is: Lovely piece of work, albeit very stylised:

I just need to tidy up where I used liquid green stuff to fill a tiny gap where the two parts of helmet were joined, then I can get him on a base and do a colour scheme test...

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #67 on: January 21, 2020, 09:42:00 AM »
Brilliant kit bash.... lovin‘ it!
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #68 on: January 21, 2020, 11:53:25 AM »
This thread is becoming more and more interesting! Cheers!

Offline LazyStudent

• Librarian
« Reply #69 on: January 21, 2020, 12:53:55 PM »
Awesome kit bashing! I'm guessing that the Roman came from a victors kit as well?
"History is a set of lies agreed upon.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #70 on: January 21, 2020, 05:45:35 PM »
Awesome kit bashing! I'm guessing that the Roman came from a victors kit as well?

Yeah, Victrix Republican Romans...

Offline Swordisdrawn

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
  • '
    • Sword is Drawn
« Reply #71 on: January 21, 2020, 06:01:21 PM »
Very smart

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
Re: Silmarillion Project UPDATE 22.1.20 Converted Sindar Captain (Page 5)
« Reply #72 on: January 22, 2020, 07:04:48 PM »
A few weeks ago I drew out my vision of the typical 1st Age Elf hero. It was based on a number of things and it came out pretty well. Here it is...

Well, I remembered that when the Oathmark Elves were released, North Star offered a deal with the box plus an Elf captain. I bought this deal, only to realise that I don't really like the models. So they languished in my bits box until I realised that I might be able to use the metal figure to I create a figure to match my drawing. So I decided to try to create it as closely as possible. He'll be a captain in my Sindar army. On looking at the photos and the model again, I think I may add some long hair to smooth out the join between the GW Galadhrim head and the metal Oathmark body. I am very pleased with the shoulder armour and long tunic I sculpted with Greenstuff. My friend Grahame at Peterborough War-games Club gave me a bag of plastic cloaks in which this particular one was lurking. The shield is from the Victrix Anglo-Dane Huscarl set.

He'll go on a base with a banner bearer which I'll make from the Anglo-Dane command sprue when it arrives...

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #73 on: January 23, 2020, 06:45:33 AM »
Nice start to the conversion, but that sketch is brilliant.

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #74 on: January 23, 2020, 10:50:52 AM »
Nice start to the conversion, but that sketch is brilliant.

+1!  :-* :-* :-*