Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:43:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: a blood and plunder dutch project  (Read 3141 times)

Offline cahrn

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Librarian
a blood and plunder dutch project
« on: November 11, 2019, 09:08:17 PM »
Last year I got my miniatures from Firelock Games' Blood and Plunder kickstarter. I got a Dutch army box and up its contents a while back, but I don't think I ever shared them. I've played a few games so far and have some more tentatively scheduled soon. I'm working on a couple of captains and the personalities pack along with my brigantine right now. As I play the game a bit more I think I'll add a few more packs of models here and there. Below are some pictures of various sailor types with pistols and hand weapons or muskets as well as a militia unit I painted with yellow coats.

Offline Hitman

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: a blood and plunder dutch project
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 12:16:44 AM »
Very nicely done. Your painting style is very similar to my own. I too have painted up my Dutch pirates including the officers and all the rest. I even started painting up some mounted Dutch militia figures. I haven't had a chance to use them in a game yet. I also have the Flyut to paint up as well. Keep up the nice work.
Regards,
Hitman
 8)
Victory is guaranteed to the last man standing, but always remember those whom you stepped on to get there!!

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2019, 01:00:04 AM »
Love the muted tones, much more realistic than the often so bright colors we see.  Of course, it is pirates so we can all go our own way and have fun.  That is the point, I believe.  ;)

Offline cahrn

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Librarian
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2019, 05:17:58 AM »
Thanks for the kind replies.

Love the muted tones, much more realistic than the often so bright colors we see.

I actually think this can be a challenge with historical miniatures. Because they tend to heavily use a muted palette I struggle with tone. The models I posted aren't my most recent, and lately I have been trying to make myself use brighter colors on models where appropriate.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2019, 06:31:37 AM »
It is a matter of taste, of course.  But the reason I like the more muted tones is it reflects the realities of the depicted age.  Until recent times, probably later portions of early 20th century, the mordants used to fix dyes to cloth did not have great durability, part of why we so often read about faded uniform colors.  Also, the 'bright' colors were rarely as bright as we see today based on advances in chemicals.  Though as counterpoint to that, we often find the works of some of the great masters of painting (not miniatures, art paintings) use quite vivid and vibrant colors and I wonder if that is a factor of the cloth of the time (perhaps being newly colored) or the ability of paint pigments to render brighter colors - likely something of a middle ground between both phenomena, though I lean to the paint pigment argument since the battle scenes often use a more 'brownish' overall effect.

Does this mean those really bright colored miniatures are wrong?  Nope, just what the miniature painter either wanted to do or had the skill level to do - and many of them have tons more skill and talent than I do, for sure.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 02:56:01 PM by FifteensAway »

Offline cahrn

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Librarian
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2019, 07:49:45 AM »
You make a valid point for sure. I was mostly just reflecting that I feel like I need to push myself to expand my palette of colors I'm most comfortable using.

Offline doctorphalanx

• Bookworm
    • doctorphalanx
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2019, 09:03:50 AM »
Beautifully understated.

Offline Paul Richardson

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2019, 04:26:53 PM »
Lovely painting. Very nice castings too. How do the figures compare, size-wise, with other ranges?

Offline cahrn

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Librarian
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2019, 05:31:04 PM »
Lovely painting. Very nice castings too. How do the figures compare, size-wise, with other ranges?

I agree, they're pretty nice miniatures with nice sculpts for the most part. A size comparison would depend on what other ranges you have in mind. A quick look against some other stuff I have at hand makes it seem like the Firelock Games miniatures are on the tall side. I measured a few and they're all ~28mm to the shoulders or neck.

Offline Paul Richardson

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2019, 05:57:12 PM »
Thanks. It sounds like they're too big to mix with Perry or TAG.

Offline Pan Marek

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2019, 08:34:26 PM »
There're ways around the height issue.  Blood and Plunder figs are self based, and those bases are quite thin.  Maybe about the thickness of a US penny.   Most MDF bases are at least double that.  So, put shorter figs on thicker bases.  I wanted some armed churchmen for the Spanish, and used Perry Carlist War armed clergy (with a bit of mods on the hats).   On the table, on thicker bases, they look fine with the B&P figs.

Offline DeRuyter

• Bookworm
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2019, 09:19:47 PM »
Nice work. I have a Dutch force as well (unsurprisingly I suppose!). My militia is very similar. I use a lot of buff colors. One thing I did that is historical and adds color was to give all the figures orange sashes!

Offline cahrn

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Librarian
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2019, 11:25:14 PM »
Nice work. I have a Dutch force as well (unsurprisingly I suppose!). My militia is very similar. I use a lot of buff colors. One thing I did that is historical and adds color was to give all the figures orange sashes!

I actually had been thinking about doing the same thing with my Dutch commander. I think it would be a nice touch and would help set the force apart on the table.

Offline marco55

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2019, 02:22:25 PM »
I saw on South Park that they had the kids playing Blood & Plunder. The creators are big fans of the game and miniatures.
Mark

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2019, 03:00:00 PM »
Well painted, cahrn.
I agree the B and P figures are a little taller than most.
I really don't have a problem with that.
Semper Fi, Mac