Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 01:59:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: New project - Pocket Armies with 28's  (Read 1239 times)

Offline Norm

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Blog for wargaming in small places
New project - Pocket Armies with 28's
« on: November 06, 2019, 11:46:12 PM »
I am starting a new project with the bigger scales called Pocket Armies. The project will see pairings of various armies in 28mm (1/76 for WWII), but with an intention to allow the games to work and produce something interesting on a kitchen / dining table space. I have blogged an introductory post.

LINK
http://battlefieldswarriors.blogspot.com/2019/11/my-new-pocket-armies-project.html

Offline jambo1

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: New project - Pocket Armies with 28's
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2019, 05:17:01 AM »
Cracking read and something close to my heart, lack of space etc, looking forward to seeing how this goes. :)

Offline Norm

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2019, 06:04:51 AM »
Thank you, I always appreciate your comments on my posts - which are usually about 10mm, which doesn't usually garner much interest here.

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2019, 06:30:41 AM »
Yep, I'll be following this project with a beady eye too! Battling with eight units aside on a 4X4 table is where my thinking's at, at the moment.

:)
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2019, 07:49:29 AM »
I like your take on keeping things up to speed on the painting table. I always try and sometimes fail to have mini's cleaned up and undercoated.

In  my experience you're 100% correct, it does make for a much more immediate production line :)

Offline Norm

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2019, 10:18:44 AM »
Thanks gents, I have really been enjoying your tables as I formulate ideas for the project.

Harry, I think 4 x 4 is where many of us are  at this stage in our gaming worlds.

Atheling, the painting regime will be critically important to making this thing work, I simply can’t have my current pedestrian to dead stop painting speed to continue. Your base is beautiful.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 06:10:57 AM by Norm »

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2019, 11:05:36 AM »
I like what you are planning. A lot resonates with me. I have the luxury of a decent
size table (8' x 4') I even have slightly bigger boards in the garage (9' x 4.5'), but
I too am moving to a smaller playing area. Probably 3' x 3'. It concentrates the action
while reducing the (wasted) time spent getting to the fighting. It also allows me lots
of room around the play area. Space for:- dice, dice rolling, QRSs, reserves, casualties
and (most important) cups of tea.
Even the pupils at the school club are thinking this. Only yesterday one of them said,
'We have set up all of this scenery (they have gotten to the stage of choosing, setting
up & running their own games) yet all the fighting is just in this corner'.

Big plus is (for me at least) the gap between 'I want to...' & 'I am...' is much, much shorter.
For years I had an awful lot of 28mm ACW which just sat in boxes. Along came Rebels
& Patriots. Within weeks I had a matched pair (Union & Confederate) and was playing
FUN games. I will add the odd unit, when I feel like it, but pressure is off (for ACW
at least).

Offline warlord frod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2019, 03:22:40 PM »
I have moved to playing 90% of my games on 3x3 boards and found it has increased the number of games played because it makes the games go quicker and requires fewer models to get the visual appeal I like. Will enjoy seeing what you come up with.

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2019, 03:35:16 PM »
Excellent article on your blog.
I find myself in agreement with you.
As I look over my collections of figures,
I find that smaller is more fun and not as time consuming.
I finally got it in to my head.
A 4 foot by 6 foot table is usually fine for most games.
Even smaller if you can fit it to the figures and terrain you have.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 03:11:36 PM by Marine0846 »
Semper Fi, Mac

Online vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2019, 11:57:42 PM »
A lot of sense there. That is all very much "top down" thinking, which I every so often have spasms of engaging in, but only get half way through before being seduced by something shiny or a new ruleset....
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt