Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:52:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Gaslands balance issue?  (Read 876 times)

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Gaslands balance issue?
« on: November 13, 2019, 08:59:40 AM »
The Voivod and I have been playing our share of Gaslands the past couple of months, and generally had a good time doing so.

However, yesterday, we hit a bit of a speedbump.

We play weekly, just 1 on 1, and just like we used to do with X-Wing, we bring a different list every game. This week, I brought a Rutherford list, with just one car at exactly 50 cans:

Pickup Truck
- Minigun Turret
- Armoured Plating
- Headshot
- Rapid Fire
- Loader
- Return Fire

And it completely obliterated his Miyakazi list, consisting of two cars. My car was slow, but it took just two salvos per car to destroy his team (actually only one for the first, as that one was already damaged due to a collision with an obstruction). it was so one-sided that he remarked I had managed to break the game.

My initial reaction was; yeah well; you broke Tanks! in our very first game, so now we're even lol

But obviously he had a point.

Maybe we missed something in the rules about restrictions on Perks and/or Upgrades/Weapons?

An initial idea was to house-rule certain restrictions. For instance, we already found that turret weapons are king in this game, and combined with the minigun, whilst woefully expensive, might just be a bit too much. Then again; one such turret costs more than a bunch of bare-bones vehicles, so for the price of a turret you could have an entire kitted out buggy. So maybe the balance is there after all?

In the end though, after analyzing our (very short) last game, I realized that the match-up had just been very unfortunate, and that I had also had my share of luck. But the Tank-that's-not-an-actual-tank is a rock hard contender for sure.

We then started to come up with counter lists, and one that would be just as un-fun to play against would be 10 bare-bones bikes. Just too many very fast targets to kill all of them. Which then sparked a discussion about local meta's, and how us playing just each other differs from playing different opponents each week, or games with more than two players, as that would force players to bring a more rounded list.

I will not be playing this list again; as I said, a different one each week, but I still might just bring it to a multiplayer game (if we ever have one). If only to see how it will fare in a more target-rich environment.

Has anyone else encountered any such lopsided situations with Gaslands so far? And what have you done about them?
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
Re: Gaslands balance issue?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2019, 07:46:14 AM »
We’ve not seen this in our games, but we tend to play with 3 or 4 players.

In the last game one of the guys had built a version of your pickup truck - using a hummer and multiple forward firing guns. It was quite scary in the amount of firepower it could put out. But against multiple other cars it was brought down.

We have also seen fast performance cars do well.

It definitely depends on the scenario - not knowing the scenario when you build your cars should help with balance.

No-one in our group has taken turrets. I might try them now as you seem to think they are good value.

Gabbi

Re: Gaslands balance issue?
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2019, 11:51:50 AM »
The only "unbalance" I have noticed in 1st edition rules is that Mines were not worth taking compared to Caltrops.

Now by reading Refueled, it seems to me they've "over-fixed" them and now it's the other way around, but I have no real experience with the Refueled rules, yet.