Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:30:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686536
  • Total Topics: 118107
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Suggestions for FIW buildings and Artillery pieces for a Redoubt  (Read 955 times)

Offline Johnny Boy

• Scientist
  • The Older I get the better I was.. . . .
Suggestions for FIW buildings and Artillery pieces for a Redoubt
« on: November 13, 2019, 09:36:54 PM »
Evening All, I recently unearthed several factions of figures and thanks to some great advice am going to give A Song of Drums and Tomahawks a go. I need enough buildings to create a small town or large village on the banks of the St Lawrence that has had an earthwork Redoubt with four gun emplacements constructed. Any suggestions for the kind and number of buildings and manufacturers (MDF would be the preferred medium) and what type of guns would have been used?
Many thanks in advance
Johnny Boy

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Re: Suggestions for FIW buildings and Artillery pieces for a Redoubt
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2019, 01:44:18 AM »
You did not specify scale but if 15/18 mm (or even 20 mm perhaps), I would recommend taking a look at Bluemoon's French and Indian War range of forts and buildings - in resin, though, not Messy Dilapitated Flyboard (sic)  o_o.

Offline Johnny Boy

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2019, 07:15:14 AM »
Ah! Of course, a scale to work to really helps lol Sorry about that and thanks for your reply. The figures are 28mm, I'm afraid my eyesight won't allow smaller. I already have a resin Fort that I've yet to paint but for the game I have in mind it's more the civilian buildings and a blockhouse/barracks for the Artillery crews. Time is another factor or the lack of it which is why I'm revisiting old projects.

Offline Black Burt

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2019, 08:28:14 AM »
Charlie Foxtrot has some buildings that I use for the FIW
https://www.charliefoxtrotmodels.com/collections/new-world?page=2
Sarissa Precision also has some suitable buildings
https://sarissa-precision.com/collections/north-american-28mm
4Ground also have a suitable range
https://www.4groundpublishing.co.uk/28mm-model-kits/dead-mans-hand-cat/american-legends-aml
Some people have also used Pegasus Russian Buildings 1/72 scale but seems to work

Offline Johnny Boy

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2019, 06:23:35 PM »
Thanks very much for that, I'll most likely go for 4ground as it's already painted and as I said at the start of this, Time is of the essence. It's great how the users of this forum rally round to help.
Thanks again
Johnny Boy

Offline Johnny Boy

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2019, 10:41:47 PM »
Now the buildings are sorted any advice on the Artillery pieces for the battery, would ships/naval guns be a viable option or would it be field guns?

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2019, 03:45:06 AM »
Good question and I am no expert but being on the banks of the St. Lawrence would mean ready access to ship borne guns so I'd guess either way is workable.  Also, unless you a die-hard insister on precise history, a little 'artistic' license is okay in building a game or a diorama even.  The goal is to have fun, not be slavish to history (though I like to stay in the lane of history but maybe sometimes swerve about the lane).

Offline Johnny Boy

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2019, 07:59:14 AM »
Thanks ever so FifteensAway, that's the sort of idea I had in mind but wanted confirmation I wasn't straying too far. Like yourself I like to keep a degree of historical realism but have a little flexibility. Hollywood and TV provide much inspiration in my world of gaming. Many thanks for your reply and on the subject of inspiration keep up your good work, I follow your posts and where I can I pinch an idea and scale it up to 28mm. ;)