Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 04:50:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689838
  • Total Topics: 118300
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Shades' Hollow  (Read 3063 times)

Offline Mister Frau Blucher

• Scientist
    • Swords Under Distant Suns
Shades' Hollow
« on: November 15, 2019, 05:25:12 PM »
Hey, been a while since I posted! I have been lurking, but I haven't gamed in a while, and I feel weird when I can't contribute.

So I got a big solitaire game going. I remember when I got the Swords and Magic ruleset many ages ago, looking at the scenarios and drooling over the big adventure game scenario at the end - Ganztal I think it was. Never ran it. It was based on some of the convention games Duke Seifried would run. I recently got more access to my basement (long story; please ignore the remodeling mess in some of the photos) and I decided I was going to do something similar. Everything is pretty much made up on the fly.

There will be 24 turns in the game, each one about an hour, so it goes from midnight to midnight. I have played the first 7 turns, and am having a good time. I'll make up a few comics for all the action when I am done, but here is Issue #0, showing the table and the factions and their goals.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
Re: Shades' Hollow
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2019, 10:21:13 PM »
Lovely collection of true "old school" minis there. Great to see them getting some time on the table.

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2019, 05:52:41 PM »
Thanks, robh! Older minis are the only ones I use. I am a nostalgic snob that way!

Here is the first issue of the comic. It comprises the first four turns, from midnight through 3 AM. Trying to balance information about where they are on the table as well the combats - hope it is not boring!

The first part:

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2019, 05:54:36 PM »
And the second part:

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2019, 06:47:25 PM »
Thanks for posting - a great looking old school thread

:)

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2019, 11:57:36 PM »
Excellent.  Presentation style works really well with the figures and scenics.

Offline Launets

• Assistant
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2019, 11:52:45 AM »
This is brilliant! Can't wait for other parts and Issues.
What minis are you using? They seem to be 25mm but what manufacturer?
Also will you be continuing your Greywater Chronicles?? I'm curious as to what happens to Sir Gordonn, and the other heroes!

Offline Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2019, 12:20:31 PM »
Great stuff. Thanks for taking the time and putting in the work for this really unique presentation. May I ask which software you use to make these comicbook-like panels and speech bubbles?

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2019, 05:05:02 PM »
AKULA - thanks! A little more to come!

robh - appreciate it! It is fun gaming and making it into comics!

Launets - thanks! I will be doing more Greywater Chronicles. I have a batch of pictures to turn into another comic or two. I did stop the game for various reasons, but I will start it back up soon, after I finish Shades' Hollow.

As far as figures, they are from many different manufacturers, most of them lost to time. Almost all of these are "true" 25mm, and vintage. Ral Partha (some of which are still available from Ironwind Metals), Heritage, Martian Metals, Garrison, Grenadier...I can identify any you are curious about. Let me know which ones!

Battle Brush Sigur - thanks for the kind words! I am using Comic Life 3. You can download it for 30 days free, then you pay like 30 bucks if you want to keep using it. It is a little time intensive, but it becomes intuitive to use (at my basic level, anyway!) and is fairly easy. I got the link here on LAF a year or two ago, so I don't think it is spam if I post it. Here it is:

https://plasq.com/apps/comiclife/macwin/

Thanks again, I should have the second issue up later today or tomorrow.

Offline Launets

• Assistant
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2019, 09:31:11 AM »
Oh Well, I actually like most of them to be honest, If I'd have to pick some of them randomly in this report it's Barbarian Warrior Ragnar, and Brak Morn, also Duncan the Drifter from Greywater Chronicles.
Sadly I own almost no 25mm minis (besides some Fantasy Warriors from Mirliton), I'm more into 28mm, but they look extremely cool, although hard to find in stores...

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2019, 03:18:03 PM »
Hey, Launets,

Ragnar is an old Grenadier figure from their 70's Wizzards and Warriors line. He came in a blister pack with a swordsman, 3 of each sculpt as I recall. He was also in their blister pack Dungeon Beginners set. He was later in some of their 20-figure Dungeon Explorer sets. Mirilton may have the rights to him now, I know they recently ran some Kickstarters for some of the old Grenadier molds. He shows up on ebay fairly often. I may have an extra or two lying in my lead mountain.

Brak Morn is from Ral Partha, put out in 1988 as part of their Fantasy Adventurer lines. He is based on Howard's Bran Mak Morn character. He is back in production with Ironwind Metals right now - https://ironwindmetals.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=263_276&products_id=7324&osCsid=tl2n0o2jnae79plrs8tunmdb17

Duncan's sculpt is obviously based on Clint Eastwood, so I named him for the High Plains Drifter character. I was pretty sure he was from Ral Partha, but I cannot find him either on the Ironwind website or, more importantly, the Lost Minis Wiki. He might be hiding there, and I am missing him. I got him in the mid to late 80's at my local hobby store in a single blister pack. On his base the only info is "P.A. CH14". The PA doesn't match any company I know of (he is definitely not Prince August) or sculptor. He might be one of the Citadel Import figures. I'll try to do some more digging - sorry!

In the meantime, here is the second issue:

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2019, 03:21:19 PM »
And now the second half of the issue:

Offline Launets

• Assistant
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2019, 04:05:30 PM »
Thanks for the useful infos, and the link to the site. I saw a lot of cool stuff there.
Also if you have some spare lead you want to part with I'm always willing to welcome new minis  :D :D

Now for the second part I'm glad to see that Brak found his siter. And I'll look forward to the rest, as there's gonna be a big battle in the following hours

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2019, 08:05:28 PM »
Love the old school tabletop feel. Reminds me of playing with my buds in school.

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2019, 03:11:35 AM »
CookAndrewB - Glad you like it! 

Laurents - I found the Duncan figure. It is in fact Prince August, CH-14, the Ranger:

http://www.miniatures-workshop.com/lostminiswiki/index.php?title=Image:Pa-f-CH14.jpg

I had totally forgotten that. I nosed around their website, it doesn't look like they offer figures that are already cast anymore, and I did not find the mold.