Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:36:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690585
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 822
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Chad Jensen has passed away  (Read 678 times)

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
Chad Jensen has passed away
« on: November 15, 2019, 08:02:37 PM »
Maybe this is not the place, but today one of the most innovative boardgame designers of the last few years has passed away.

Chad Jensen had been fighting with cancer the last year. The other day his wife, Kay, informed the gaming community through Boardgamegeek that his doctors have said that there was nothing else left to do and that he had between one and three weeks left to live. It wasn't that long.

He was the designer of boardgames like Dominant Species, and wargames such as Combat Commander, one of the most innovative approaches to WWII tactical games (it has been developed for WWI by Hexasim Games, by the way) of the last few years. I must say that it isn't my cup of tea (more ASLer here) but it has a big following and with good reason, because the system is very solid and gives credible results to tactical problems.

He also designed Fighting Formations -also for GMT- which although it hasn't the success of CC, it is a solid system for grand tactical wargames in WWII.

This is what his wife posted in Boardgamegeek a couple of days ago:

I don't know where to post this and this thread seemed like a great place...

Chad came home for hospice yesterday. The doctors are guessing we get one to four more weeks together. His cancer took a very aggressive turn in October and there is nothing more they can do except help him stay comfortable - which for us meant coming home.

He has always been very grateful that so many of you enjoy the games he loved to create. And I have always loved the fabulous support and camaraderie of the gamers who have found his work.

Thank you all for your support during this difficult year. Your posts, well-wishes, donations, get well cards, and outpouring of love have carried us through to the end game.

Please feel free to spread the word. I don't know where else to post and what little time I have is for him.

He will be missed.

Offline blacksoilbill

• Mastermind
Re: Chad Jensen has passed away
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2019, 02:25:37 PM »
That is sad. I've just discovered Combat Commander this year and have been loving it. From his forum interactions, he seemed to be a thoughtful and generous guy.