Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:53:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689629
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Oldhammer Empire Proxy Figures?  (Read 5815 times)

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
Oldhammer Empire Proxy Figures?
« on: November 15, 2019, 08:57:42 PM »
Inspired by some of the threads here and bits and pieces I already have - some even painted  ::) - what are suitable proxy figures?  (As the originals are often expensive, rare or both.)

For the Reiksguard I already have a unit of WK's figures.  I also have an "original" Captain painted, along with a few unpainted character and command figures.  So what proxies are out there that not just look the part but are also 28mm "Heroic" scale?  (Or close enough to match the originals.)

As an example, if I wanted a unit of Pistoliers would TAG or Casting Room Miniatures be a better fit?  Or neither?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 09:01:40 PM by Orctrader »

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
Xander
Army painters thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=56540.msg671536#new
WinterApoc thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=50815.0

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
Re: Oldhammer Empire Proxy Figures?
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2019, 09:26:51 PM »
TAG would be better figures, but Casting Room would be closer in size (the pistoliers are ok, but stay away from their landsknechts).

Artizan landsknechts aren't too far off.

I hope to do some fantasy landsknecht rank and file next year with the same sculptor of the footknights and witchhunters (and my former landsknecht zombies, now with TAG).

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2019, 11:53:34 AM »
Thanks.
I hope to do some fantasy landsknecht rank and file next year with the same sculptor...

They'd be worth seeing.  Love the stuff produced so far.   :)

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2019, 12:52:46 PM »
Back in t' day, my brother's 'Men of the West' (old edition Empire & Bretonnia) were made up of the Perry 'Wars of the Roses' guys. They were a great fit for the late medieval feel.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline ulverston

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2019, 01:07:06 PM »
Beautiful work so far. I look forward to seeing more of your collection.

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2019, 01:28:46 PM »
I'm working on an Empire army that is thus far made up of Foundry, TAG and Artizan. They all work OK together - it really depends on how fussy you are. The only really noticeable difference I've seen is the size of the weapons. These things don't really get noticed mid-game though, it's only when you're looking specifically for size compatibility, I find.

I also have a unit of "Outriders" made up of Warlord's War of Religion Arquebusiers. Their horses will no doubt be quite small compared with Warhammer ones, but as they're light cavalry it doesn't bother me.

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2019, 10:08:52 PM »
I'm working on an Empire army that is thus far made up of Foundry, TAG and Artizan. They all work OK together - it really depends on how fussy you are.

Not particularly fussy, but in this case I'm looking for reasonably close matches to GW stuff.  As WK's figures are "Heroic" scale they match the originals.  I find Reaper Miniatures too fit in very well.  I love Artizan figures - painting some at the moment - but they won't fit with this project.

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2019, 09:13:19 PM »
Yeah I agree, if you're wanting to stick with GW proportions then unfortunately even the larger historical ranges are a bit too small. I really must get hold of some of White Knight's stuff, they look superb.

Problem is, I'll then want to replace my historical-stand ins to all match that size  lol

Offline Griefbringer

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2019, 04:29:33 PM »
The issue is not made any easier by the fact that the size of GW Empire figures has gone up and down over the years, so it would be good to specify which ones you are using as a reference.

From the examples in the first post, I presume that you are after things that look like the wonderful 1992 releases. I have been painting quite a bunch of these lately, and they are certainly nice figures, but more stoutly proportioned than what you can find in most historical ranges. And even this range has a fair bit of variation in figure size, despite being released more or less at the same time - try placing a Helblaster crew next to to a bunch of greatswords and you will see the issue.

As for the White Knight miniatures, please notice that the halflings and dwarves from those ranges are still available through TAG.

Anything special you are after? Melee infantry, missile units, cavalry, artillery, war wagons etc.?

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2019, 09:38:41 PM »
Thanks guys. 

Perhaps proxy is not the way to go, apart from WK's stuff.  Although I recently bought a "Spellcaster" from Northumbrian Tin Soldier that will suit I think as a Wizard.

Anything special you are after? Melee infantry, missile units, cavalry, artillery, war wagons etc.?

All being well I have some artillery sorted.  Pistoliers look fun to paint.  Hand-gunners and Great Swords look appealing.  Pikemen of course are always a favourite, but not sure if there are any?   (As you can see, no great plan here.   ::)  )

Painted this chap years ago, but as a single figure I let him go.  Must try to get another one or similar.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 09:42:09 PM by Orctrader »

Offline Griefbringer

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2019, 05:18:47 PM »
One manufacturer you might want to look for is Gamezone Miniatures from Spain, they have a range of fantasy humans that are rather heroically proportioned:

http://www.gamezoneminiatures.com/tienda/en/45-empire

Not really my style, and a bit on the pricy side, but some people like them and technically the sculpting seems very good. From the few scale comparison shots I have seen, they are at least the same size as 1992 Empire figures by Perry (or maybe even a bit larger).

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Mastermind
    • ZeroTwentythree
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2019, 01:15:36 PM »

Offline Von Trinkenessen

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2019, 10:01:34 PM »
Size wise Steelfist are very good. The Casting room italians fit in well with the Markmen of miragliano ,Bronzino's Galloper guns et al, also have light cavalry as well.

If you're not too snobby about figures some of the landsknechts are quite good and characterful as are the spanish.
I use them all for the Von Trinkenessen Chronicles.

Offline Griefbringer

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2019, 08:33:02 AM »
Size wise Steelfist are very good.

Steelfist are very nice sculpts, but compared to the 1992 GW Perry Empire sculpts they are rather anorectic looking.

As for Marksmen of Miragliano and many of the other humans (though not all) from the 1998 GW Perry Dogs of War range, those are also a bit on the skinny side compared to the beefy 1992 Empire range, and not just because of the tighter fitting clothing style. Then again, maybe Tileans are supposed to be a bit slimmer than the men of Empire.