Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:17:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690724
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Setting up a multiplayer Pulp campaign?  (Read 2851 times)

Offline rjandron

• Bookworm
    • Historical Wargames
Setting up a multiplayer Pulp campaign?
« on: March 14, 2007, 04:11:47 PM »
Hi everyone. I just signed up for the forum here and I have been looking forward to getting into pulp gaming. One of the things that I would like to do with my local gaming group is to set up a pulp campaign with multiple players.

Are there any suggestions for how to do this? Are there any rulebooks out there with campaign rules allowing for multiple factions? I'd like each player to have their own faction and race for "the Ultimate Prize" in 1920s Egypt.

Thanks,
RJ
Historical Wargames - My Historical, Fantasy, Science Fiction, Steampunk, and Pulp Gaming Page.

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 04:22:59 PM »
A multi-player race campaign is fairly easy to set up. Without touting any rules (especially since our campaign book just came out), the first thing to decide is how many parts do you want the campaign to run?

You could do something where part 1 starts in a museum and the players race to find the clues to the lost treasue of the Pharoh Ah-Bindedlong. Part 2 takes place in a Cairo marketplace where each team tries to find a guide while avoiding the other players and the local constabulary intent on rouding up the "looters." Part 3 is a race across the desert to the lost temple. Part 4 takes place in the temple.

Of course, you could add in a lot of chapters between, but that's a rough outline on how to go about it. If you want to go "around the world" you can have several artifacts required to open the temple vault. A staff, a medallion, an urn, etc. Unless one player is particularly lucky, they'll all end up with one or two pieces, then you set up the scenario where they meet to discuss working together and all heck breaks loose. The player who wins that scenario, gets to leave with all the pieces but the other teams are hot on his tail for the final scenario.

Pulp campaigns are very easy to set up the fun comes in the details you add to make them more than just a fight a,ong players each game.
Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

Offline tabletop

• Librarian
    • http://www.tabletop-terrain.com
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 08:32:54 PM »
Heh you just described my last .45 campaign almost -exactly-.

First there was the Museum, then the Cairo streets then a race to the Tomb entrance, and finally the Tomb itself!

Dang I really need to work on making my campaigns more original :(
Tabletop Terrain Gaming in 28 and 15mm!

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 09:07:11 PM »
Quote from: "tabletop"

Or I need to stop reading your site (it probably sunk in subconsciously).  :D

Offline rjandron

• Bookworm
    • Historical Wargames
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 03:07:26 AM »
Quote from: "tabletop"
Heh you just described my last .45 campaign almost -exactly-.

First there was the Museum, then the Cairo streets then a race to the Tomb entrance, and finally the Tomb itself!

Actually, reading your scenarios is what inspired me to look at 1920s Egypt for my own Pulp gaming. I'm putting in an order for Hirst Molds as I type  :mrgreen:

Richard, thanks for the suggestions. I'm looking forward to the "Death Soldiers" book for .45 Adventures when it's available in PDF.