Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:51:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Meals and Minis...  (Read 1929 times)

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
Meals and Minis...
« on: November 17, 2019, 04:13:21 AM »
So, you paint all the minis for your group. Good because your interests get games, bad because it's all on you. It is what is is though. However...how lenient are you on snacktime when players are handling your minis. Can they eat cheetos (puffed snack with orange poweder)? use wet hands? melted chocolate? greasy pizza? do you not care or do you strictly only allow 'clean' snack food like pretzels?

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
Re: Meals and Minis...
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2019, 05:13:20 AM »
Honestly?  I don't have any of my gaming friends, RPG or wargame, that would have the audacity to handle my figures with greasy fingers.  The respect for my effort and ability is there.

I actually don't remember ever seeing this happen at the historical miniatures convention I go to every year, either.

Anyone without the respect for my property and effort wouldn't be welcome at a game I run.
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2019, 05:21:52 AM »
Its more likely a drink is spilled on the table than a snack.  Usually followed by scrambling to save the terrain, rinse off the figures and dry everything whilst generally agreeing with everyone your an idiot and your drink never should have been there...

I mostly game with people I have know for a long time so we all respect each others efforts to provide painted miniatures and terrain for all to use.
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2019, 08:23:18 AM »
I have a simple rule: if you are gaming, you are gaming, therefore no drinking nor eating.

if you are thirsty go to the kitchen and drink water. If you are hungry, wait until the session is over and then we can go somewhere and enjoy food, drinks and conversation.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2019, 09:18:28 AM »
Our group very rarely eats and games - at most the odd biscuit or something similar that is fairly ‘clean’.

Drinks are fairly common, cups of tea or coffee or the odd beer. These either live on the very corners of the gaming table, or to the side. Accidents are very rare (obviously now I have written this the next game will have some kind of beverage disaster).

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2019, 09:33:22 AM »
I do enjoy (when at Flatpack's) the break, i.e. we stop playing, when he brings out the
Bacon Butties etc. Fingers are (I notice) carefully wiped on the kitchen paper provided.
Yes it is respect for the person who painted the figures.
Yes I have seen 'abuse' of figures, but I no longer attend clubs that allow such.
I am educating the pupils, at the school club, to show respect, restraint & care when
handling figures.

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2019, 10:39:52 AM »
I wouldn't eat anything greasy or otherwise likely to get on miniatures when handling only my own figures - I'd expect anybody handling mine to be at least as clean as that.

Drinks I have no problem with; I have probably played as many games with a beer or cider in my hand as I have without. Not encountered any issues so far, and if one day it does go wrong.. ah well, it might even help the immersion if my Dwarven horde has the distinct aroma of beer. Would at least explain why they failed to hit a puny goblin for the umpteenth time in a row...
~Ad finem temporum~

Offline flatpack

• Mastermind
  • Hiding in the shed
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2019, 04:16:28 PM »
As has.been says, I tend to supply the food and drinks AFTER the game has come to an end.
This way the figures and terrain is safe.
Works so far....
Flatpack

Offline SBRPearce

• Mad Scientist
    • "The Cellar-Dweller" blog
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2019, 09:25:18 PM »
In our circle, snacks are for before and after the game, while beverages are common during play. However, they're never on the table. The room where we most often play has a convenient range of shelves and side tables where one may rest one's drink.
from Mr.Vampire: "It's the paintjob that makes the miniature fight harder not the size."

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2019, 11:15:17 PM »
Almost our games are played at either in my friend's wargames room (as tonight) or in my wargames room.  In both we do the same and have drinks, usually tea, and biscuits in the wargames room.  If we are having a whole day wargame we stop for meals and leave the wargames room.  I doubt it has ever crossed our minds to handle figures with dirty hands.
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.'
-- Xenophon, The Anabasis

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2019, 04:04:20 PM »
When wargaming, it's a bit of a rule around here that you only touch your own models, so if you have Cheeto-fingers, hey; they're your minis! Touching somebody else's minis usually involves asking the owner for permission first. When fatty, sweaty or generally dirty hands are spotted, the requester is then asked to first clean off his hands. A simple matter of etiquette I suppose?

When it comes to RPG minis though, I am by and far the sole supplier of miniatures and terrain (though there are exeptions). And our sessions are usually accompanied by copious amounts of drinks and snacks. But even then, people usually automatically defer to the DM to move the miniatures around. When it comes to PC miniatures, this is then done at the directions of the player in question.

One DM has the habit to use anything at hand to identify effects. To the extent that he used a piece of string wrapped around a miniature to signify a holding spell, cherry tomatoes and blocks of cheese to mark obstacles and fires, etc.

This one we've had to repeatedly restrain from even more extreme miniature abuse (with cucumber slices for instance lol ), but the past couple of years, he appears to have cought on to the whole miniature handling aspect though.

In all, our long time group (about 15 years now?) has only required one or two corrections by the two miniature game players in it (myself and one other) over all that time.

So I'd say we're good on that front :)

On the other hand; I've once attended a 40K tournament where one opponent used the base of the miniature he was holding to flip over the miniatures of mine his unit just shot ('He's dead *flick*, he's dead *flick* and he's dead *flick*'). Needless to say that only happened this one shooting phase...  >:(
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2019, 04:47:24 PM »
Hell no!

Offline Historiker

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2019, 05:01:39 PM »
The case of my gaming group is much the same as many others who have replied before:

Beverages, tea preferably, are absolutely fine if left at the side of the table or another little extra table.

Snacks, apart from a wrapped chocolate bar or such food which can be eaten without touching the food, are absolutely off limits. I once had pizza smell on a miniature because I played at a shop and someone moved the figure and since then I held my "no food" policy quite firmly.

If in our group there is a rare instance of eating while playing, like when someone brought a case, we eat it with forks. Generally we separate playing from eating and have regular breaks (most of the games we play play in about 2 hours).

"The philosopher Didactylos has summed up an alternative hypothesis as: Things just happen. What the hell."

Offline ragbones

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2019, 05:28:09 PM »
My friends and I are very respectful of one another’s games and the variety of miniatures, buildings, scenery, etc that comprises them.  No drinks are allowed on the game table.  Coasters are provided for them on other tables.  We don’t eat while playing.  Generally, we break for a homemade lunch and return to the game after washing our hands. 
Hail to the King, baby.

Offline Bowman

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2019, 10:38:54 PM »
All depends on how your friends are.
"This I have known ever since I stretched out my fingers to the abomination within that great gilded frame; stretched out my fingers and touched a cold and unyielding surface of polished glass." 

H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"