Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 05:54:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Mandalorian - Spoilers thread  (Read 39803 times)

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: The Mandalorian - Spoilers thread
« Reply #165 on: November 10, 2020, 10:42:17 AM »
But they're not fertilised. Fine by me  :D

Sith baby Yoda works for me as well  lol
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 10:46:30 AM by OSHIROmodels »
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #166 on: November 10, 2020, 10:55:48 AM »
Having looked about the internet it interesting what some theories throw up.

Some folks seem to think that baby yoda wasn't eating the eggs as they appeared to be swallowed whole. Also, they are just eggs. As for being of sentience? Every living creature is sentient so unless you are vegan, you would also have to take issue with eating any egg...

Personally I found it amusing and reminded me of when Luke first landed on Dagobah and Yoda was just helping himself to his food etc.

As for Sith? Well it's clear you are not born to either light or dark, so it is entirely possible that without guidance of one or the other that at times, both can be seen. Hence the force choke we have already seen too in the last series, which in terms of story telling, tends to be something we see far more commonly from the Sith.

A friend an I were also theorising what baby Yoda could represent. Being that this is set between the Return of the Jedi and the latest trilogy. We know that the Sith have used clones before and have an interest in cloning tech. We also know that Yoda was one of the most powerful Jedi - and possibly more importantly, longest living. We also know that in the last movie Palpatine was able to gain rejuvenation from Ren and Rey. So there is some sort of potential plot line around trying to create a clone force of Jedi, or possibly a source of rejuvenation for Palpatine? Though the original bounty was dead or alive which might suggest that there was some sort of 'issue' with him, perhaps too inherently good/light?
RP Tabletop Blog:

RP vlog channel: https://www.youtube.com/@RandomPlatypus

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #167 on: November 10, 2020, 12:29:02 PM »
My wife said the same thing about them being unfertilized.

I was lazy in writing just sentient, I meant higher level sentience. (EDIT: Perhaps I should have used “sapient”? I seem to confuse the two words). A chicken may be sentient but I would not balk about eating chicken eggs compared to human, ape or dolphin eggs. But that may be my own arrogance and ignorance at play. For some reason The Child eating what appeared to be a lower sentience amphibian in a previous episode is not the same as eating the eggs of a distressed being that can be communicated with. As I reflect on that, it does appear somewhat arrogant and ignorant, as well as hypocritical of me to make assumptions about levels of sentience/sapience and the ethics of eating such creatures/beings as well as their young.

Given my wrestling with the ethics of animal and AI rights I really have not come to a firm resolution. I can not explain why I feel dolphins, horses, dogs, apes, whales and so forth should have more rights than say a chicken or cow. So I have to wonder at the logic of it since I can not explain it. For whatever reason I had a sudden and overwhelming disgust at the eating of the Passenger’s eggs unlike anything else the Child has eaten. A sense of wrongness, not just distaste along the lines of my opinion on say, caviar.

From a certain perspective our protagonists were the monsters that trespassed and ate one of the young ice spiders before they in turn acted in what could be described as self defense. It does make me wonder what they normally feed on in that environment. And how related they are to Krykna. At times the show has me confused as to where they are because I thought Jawas for example were only on Tatooine.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Krykna

As for Sith... I agree, it seems unlikely that something is born Jedi or Sith. Those seem to me to be philosophical path choices.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 12:46:44 PM by Rick W. »
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #168 on: November 10, 2020, 12:33:10 PM »
As anyone with kids can attest to. Children will try to eat everything.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #169 on: November 10, 2020, 12:39:18 PM »
Fair point Dr. Zombie, I am constantly trying to teach my son empathy towards our tortoises, various insects and plants. Said empathy is admittedly in direct conflict with my arachnophobia.

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #170 on: November 10, 2020, 01:52:35 PM »
Perhaps "Sith" was too prescriptive of me... I meant that maybe the Child isn't quite as innocent as he appears. Remember he is over fifty years old, as well - who's to say that species doesn't mature faster mentally than they do physically? Maybe that's why they are so strong with the Force, they have longer to practice at a higher operational level.

It would make sense in a way that a species that was physically vulnerable for so long would have other ways to defend themselves. And as mentioned earlier, the philosophy of the whole Jedi/Sith thing depends a lot on temperament and experience...

On the other hand, it's STAR WARS. Just relax and enjoy the ride FFS...  lol

Offline Juan

• Mad Scientist
    • Manche´s Walpurgisnacht
« Reply #171 on: November 10, 2020, 05:51:26 PM »
This is a kid eating candies.

On the other hand, the New Republic "Air Forces"  appear to have a real problem with the age of the X-Wing pilots...  :D :D :D
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 09:47:48 AM by Juan »

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #172 on: November 10, 2020, 05:53:30 PM »
As anyone with kids can attest to. Children will try to eat everything.

I don’t know the name of Yoda and the child species but, maybe it’s their only flaws… they just can’t stop eating all the can put their little paws on… ::)
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #173 on: November 10, 2020, 05:59:42 PM »
On the other hand, the New Republic "Air Forces"  appear to have a real problem with the age of the X-Wing pilots...  :D :D :D

lol

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #174 on: November 10, 2020, 06:16:44 PM »
Problem? Beware older folks who have survived in a job that often gets folks killed in their youth.

Offline Cypher226

• Mad Scientist
    • Friendly Fire
« Reply #175 on: November 10, 2020, 06:20:44 PM »
But Boba is not a Mandalorian. Even if he were he is disgraced as he has lost his armor.

Not necessarily, Din Djarin's crew are Deathwatch, extremists.
Other Mandalorian in canon (in Rebels) have had no issues removing their helmets, for example.

Offline Historiker

• Scientist
« Reply #176 on: November 13, 2020, 09:25:40 PM »
So, I guess there might be some people firing up their 3D printers or converting some particular SW Legion minis after this episode...
"The philosopher Didactylos has summed up an alternative hypothesis as: Things just happen. What the hell."

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #177 on: November 13, 2020, 09:40:58 PM »
Episode 3 was great  :D

Nice to see the galaxy expand with different environs etc.

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #178 on: November 13, 2020, 09:50:19 PM »
Episode 3 was great  :D

Super great. :D
Lots of ideas too. :D

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #179 on: November 14, 2020, 05:09:21 PM »
I thought it was a decent but not overall amazing episode.

It had some good scenes, as always it looks amazing. But I felt it suffered yet again from the short running time.  I thought it felt rushed. And it felt like some plot holes were not addressed because the writer/director was more interested in the really cool scenes rather than needed but not as exciting scenes linking them together.

Yet again I felt like I should try harder to catch up on Clone Wars and Rebels as the little bits I do know from those helped me explain some things to my wife. She enjoyed this episode more than the last one, even though she did not understand a lot of what was going on.