Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:41:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Mandalorian - Spoilers thread  (Read 39260 times)

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Re: The Mandalorian - Spoilers thread
« Reply #75 on: January 14, 2020, 12:24:48 PM »
I really enjoyed the series, and like many, I've felt an actual SW spark again. Something I've not felt for a very long time.

I think this format is the way forward, and I hope they will continue in this way. But the creation of the Disney+ channel bodes well in that regard.

The Razor Crest looks very familiar for some reason. Maybe the ship's layout is somewhat tropeish, I can't put my finger on it. But I like it nonetheless.

And I have to agree with the general consensus in regards to the final two episodes; they were the best of the season. The Scout Troopers were hilarious, the shootout around/in the bar was thrilling and the (2nd) demise of IG-11 felt like a true loss. Especially since we got to see an IG series truly in action for the first time in this series.

Also, the X-Wing game throwback in ep. 6, when they destroyed the station was a real 'Yeah!!' moment for me! :D

The dark saber and all it entails bodes well for the next season, and I certainly hope Kara Dune will return...  ;)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 12:34:52 PM by Daeothar »
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
« Reply #76 on: January 15, 2020, 03:12:14 PM »

The Razor Crest looks very familiar for some reason. Maybe the ship's layout is somewhat tropeish, I can't put my finger on it. But I like it nonetheless.

I thought the Razor Crest had a similar feel to the Republic LAAT. Clearly I wasn't alone since this image popped up:

I think that helped it feel both familiar and new at the same time. I'm glad Mando didn't fly around in something equivalent to the "Slave 2" as I would have required a lot of help understanding why that style ship happened to be associated with the Mandalorians as a whole. Since Mando was part of a pieced together group of Mandalorian refugees, it feels in keeping with the tone that his ship might also pieced together from an old LAAT vice being a true ship of Mandalorian heritage.

My only complaint with the series was that it didn't last long enough. I loved every minute of it, but I seem to be blessed with a very low threshold for enjoying what is in front of me without having to analyze it to the N-th degree.

Offline mithril

• Bookworm
« Reply #77 on: January 15, 2020, 07:09:01 PM »
his ship is not a modified LAAT.

it is a Razor Crest class Police gunship. dialog puts the class of ship as Razor Crest (it is not the ship's proper name, despite what so many places keep using it as). the design pre-dates the Empire, but we aren't told by how much. it is presumably heavily modified in armaments and internal systems.

visually it is similar in appearance to the SS-54 Assault ship from the pre-imperial period, suggesting a possible trend in design during that time.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 07:11:42 PM by mithril »

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #78 on: January 18, 2020, 05:40:27 AM »
his ship is not a modified LAAT.

it is a Razor Crest class Police gunship. dialog puts the class of ship as Razor Crest (it is not the ship's proper name, despite what so many places keep using it as). the design pre-dates the Empire, but we aren't told by how much. it is presumably heavily modified in armaments and internal systems.
Wookipedia seems to think around 19BBY.

Grimm

Offline Dezmond

• Scientist
« Reply #79 on: January 18, 2020, 09:51:25 AM »
So it’s *a* Razor Crest, not *the* Razor Crest?

Interesting and perfectly in character.

It was a great show. Enjoyed it immensely.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #80 on: January 20, 2020, 08:35:16 AM »
The Razor Crest looks very familiar for some reason. Maybe the ship's layout is somewhat tropeish, I can't put my finger on it.

I finally figured out what the ship reminds me of: the VTOL from Deus Ex: Human Revolution...

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #81 on: March 29, 2020, 09:37:04 AM »
As one of the folks in Europe who only just got access to Disney+ and therefore The Mandalorian, I am as usual late to the party.

My wife and I watched the first episode last night. My wife thought it was ok.... whereas I loved it! It was pretty much what I hoped it would be... pulpy spagetti samurai western space opera. It was too short and the voice of the IG robot did not make the most of its brilliant self destruct dialogue but I was surprised how much the show managed to suspend my disbelief.

For me this experience was essential, because it illustrates to me that what I expect from Star Wars is achievable. My nostalgia has not ruined all future Star Wars.

Fire Kathleen Kennedy I say! I have spoken.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #82 on: March 29, 2020, 09:39:48 AM »
It's fucking aces!!!

(just watched Episode three on Friday  :D)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Juan

• Mad Scientist
    • Manche´s Walpurgisnacht
« Reply #83 on: March 29, 2020, 09:49:52 AM »
As one of the folks in Europe who only just got access to Disney+ and therefore The Mandalorian, I am as usual late to the party.

My wife and I watched the first episode last night. My wife thought it was ok.... whereas I loved it! It was pretty much what I hoped it would be... pulpy spagetti samurai western space opera. It was too short and the voice of the IG robot did not make the most of its brilliant self destruct dialogue but I was surprised how much the show managed to suspend my disbelief.

For me this experience was essential, because it illustrates to me that what I expect from Star Wars is achievable. My nostalgia has not ruined all future Star Wars.

Fire Kathleen Kennedy I say! I have spoken.

The voices in the English version are really better than in the Spanish one, all of them.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #84 on: March 29, 2020, 10:30:15 AM »
The Hasbro 'Mandalorian Child' plush speaking toy is up for pre-order already. MrsCub has dropped several lead-weighted hints regarding her birthday.

I want the episodes to be a good 15mins longer, but what a great TV programme and what superb timing for us in Europe to have something to look forward to each week! No doubt I'm not the only '1st generation' Star Wars kid to be loving the indulgent storyline on Mandalorian warrior culture, remembering playing with my Boba Fett action figure and insisting that he was rock-hard despite that fact that he doesn't do that much in the films.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #85 on: May 01, 2020, 06:50:30 PM »
I can not get over how much I am enjoying these episodes. They are not perfect. Too short and some plot holes but overall head and shoulders better than anything since before the prequels.

Interestingly, I just came across this article and I have to say I agree with the author. I have always preferred A New Hope to Empire Strikes Back but I never considered that the hype for Empire may have what got use Rise of Skywalker.

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20200430-star-wars-why-the-empire-strikes-back-is-overrated

Offline Exiledadmiral

• Scientist
« Reply #86 on: May 03, 2020, 09:16:09 PM »
I'm in the same boat as you Rick, I watched and enjoyed while my wife looked at her phone! Watched them all now and quite glad in a way that they weren't put on in one lump, as they've stretched out and kept me wanting more.

I really enjoyed seeing Tuskans and Dewbacks back and have ended up buying a dewback rider to paint, it's a really nice model. I found the jailbreak episode a bit dull, thought the characters were a bit tropey, particularly the hissing Twi'lek, but maybe that's the point and I just missed it.

And altogether I enjoyed having short episodes. Personally I'm getting tired of epic series with hour long episodes every week and find they can get to be a chore to watch. Half hour episodes with a good few action scenes kept me wanting to watch the next one, and I'll probably go back and watch them again.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #87 on: May 04, 2020, 04:29:17 AM »
I think the show is something of a homage to tropes. What is surprising is that it can take cliche tropes and execute them well. Just how many times can the story of some warriors hired to protect villagers from bandits be told? I was surprised how well that worked.

I even liked the tropes in the jailbreak episode, including the Harley Chianna Catwoman Twi’lek. What really made the episode for me though was how it went from heist movie to horror movie with Mando hunting the others in the manner he did.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
« Reply #88 on: May 05, 2020, 06:24:32 PM »
I am easier to please than most, I find. I loved every second of it. The show got better and better as the season went on, and the cliffhanger at the end has me on the edge of my seat still, even after finishing it back before the coronapocalypse.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #89 on: May 05, 2020, 06:42:26 PM »
As something of an amateur cinematography enthusiast I am rather critical. I can enjoy a technically terrible film at times but yeah, I am something of a critic. Costuming, editing, plot writing... I always pick up on these things. I can make some allowances for budget or when watching dated productions. I am not skilled with lighting or special effects so I often give a break in these categories as well.

We just finished it tonight, my wife and I loved the final episode. We loved the whole season but I am critical enough to spot a couple things that could have been a bit better.

I absolutely hate the whole stormtroopers always miss trope, which is demonstrably false, as it undermines the death of characters who do get shot. I liked the chatter between the Biker Scouts but I think it would have been better if the first one was a terrible shot but the second one was a good shot. I let the Bill Burr stormtrooper remark slide in the jail break episode but considering the character death in the episode before this one the trope just went too far. It undermines the threat from all the other stormtroopers throughout the show. That said, I liked that the black clad Death Troopers appeared to be at least competent in hand to hand. And I loved the Moff Gideon was clever enough to take that explosively epic pistol shot. That kind of thing lends gravitas to a villain. Like the Vader scene iinRogue One where he is cutting down rebels alone in his pursuit of the plans. Counter that to the joke that was Hux and all the First Order villains. Their comedic value undermines the sense of genuine threat to the heroes.

My wife and I want more Mandalorian... but looks like we all have quite a wait on our hands with the current international health situation. I really hope producers learn from this and get Star Wars back on target!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 06:46:47 PM by Rick W. »