Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:23:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686604
  • Total Topics: 118111
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Mandalorian - Spoilers thread  (Read 39276 times)

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Re: The Mandalorian - Spoilers thread
« Reply #105 on: May 08, 2020, 02:15:07 AM »
“.... they let us go....it’s the only explanation for the ease of our escape.“

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nammMXTkrX4

That is how I justify the poor marksmanship displayed in the hallway scene. The plot armor can be attributed to Vader’s plan. At least at this stage of the franchise.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #106 on: September 23, 2020, 06:33:43 PM »
Very surprised to see Season 2 coming so quickly given the state of the world these days.... but it does look good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eW7Twd85m2g

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #107 on: September 23, 2020, 07:24:57 PM »
Looking forward to it  8)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Historiker

• Scientist
« Reply #108 on: September 23, 2020, 08:55:48 PM »
The trailer made me finally prime all the Imperial Assault miniatures I have lying around :)

These PVC style minis from my wargamer perspective are just okay and I plan to use them as a massive testing ground for painting techniques.

Not to ruin them but not being angry if some of them turn out to look funny...
"The philosopher Didactylos has summed up an alternative hypothesis as: Things just happen. What the hell."

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #109 on: September 24, 2020, 06:34:36 AM »
Apparently season two filming finished before covid lockdowns and impacts started.

And they have been working on scripting and other stuff within limitations already for season 3 but apparently not started filming yet

So might be a long delay on that, but thats ok, looking forward to binging the second at least

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #110 on: September 24, 2020, 09:48:27 AM »
Enjoyed series one, looking forward to series two.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
« Reply #111 on: September 24, 2020, 07:11:40 PM »
I got a chance to catch season 2's trailer last night. I have to say I'm very excited. I've enjoyed the bits of the Star Wars universe that haven't been so Jedi/Sith focused.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #112 on: September 25, 2020, 01:53:04 AM »
That dock scene really caught my attention.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #113 on: September 25, 2020, 02:30:34 PM »
That dock scene really caught my attention.

I am hoping that is the last episode, if I'm honest. I would rather the Jedi be a cliffhanger, and not appear early, and thus constantly be in the picture. Plus I fear that the addition of a Jedi invites the introduction of a Sith, and then we get back to a world of Jedi/Sith and stop focusing on the other 99.999999999999% of the Galaxy's inhabitants... which is the draw for me. I could probably live with a Jedi showing up, being found, and taking possession of the child. Not totally sure what Mando would get up to then, but certainly there are plenty of other situations needing a bounty hunter and we could tie into a story line with the Hutts or something equally interesting and not Force involved.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #114 on: September 25, 2020, 03:52:21 PM »
It is Star Wars mate, you can not escape the Force. It is an energy field created by all living things, it surrounds us, it penetrates us, ties the galaxy together. The Force has been a central plot element of the Mandalorian both with the baby and the history of the Mandalorians themselves.

Given what has been in the tv series Rebels (admittedly I have only seen a couple episodes), the crazy old wizard Ben was hardly the last of the Jedi despite what Vader thought.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #115 on: September 25, 2020, 06:46:44 PM »
Yes, yes, I am aware that there are Force sensitive individuals sprinkled throughout the Galaxy, but this assumes they have to be involved in everything, all the time. The universe can be interesting without it. Rogue 1 didn't need Jedi, Solo didn't need Jedi, and both were set in a universe where the Force existed. Whether you liked either story is not a relevant point, I'm saying that they told the story without centering around the Sith/Jedi directly.

In season 1 I would say that we understood the Child to be special, but that the Force wasn't a central point to the story. Take out the Force and I think you can probably have another mcguffin that would work in the story. Any secret weapon that the Empire would want and that maybe the Mandalorian wouldn't want to give them would work. That other secret weapon could be used on the rhino monster, and could pull Mando out of a jam or two. In the end Mando could simply work to destroy the weapon LOTR style and move on. I don't know that it HAD to involve the force, but I suspect there was no way Disney wasn't going to cash in on something cute and marketable in plush toy form. Plus there is a clearer moral dilemma involved if the bounty involved a kid. We, as the audience, wouldn't have cared nearly as much if this was centered around a middle aged and fully functioning Force user (Jedi or not).

I'm just saying that I don't want there to be a Jedi to swoop in and wave a hand to make someone forget, or to lightsaber their way through a few fight scenes. Mando is capable, and the Jedi addition makes him an easy second best (perhaps) or steals some of the thunder at least. The fun of Mandalorian, for me, was getting to see a Mandalorian in action. Boba never really had his day in the sun, and Jango had a fairly short run of success before he was bested. Plus, I liked seeing the IG unit display how/why it is lethal. Again, we were told about it in the first Star Wars movies, but lining people up and saying "You all are great bounty hunters" (paraphrasing a bit) isn't as fun as seeing it in action. I think a Jedi in the mix ruins that in the same way that asking Magic Johnson to play on your rec league basketball team ruins the season. Yeah, you win but it was never really a fair fight to begin with. This is why the Jedi/Sith thing is always there. The franchise has set out that you pretty much need a Larry Bird on the other team if someone is going to bring a Magic Johnson.

I don't know modern basketball players. lol

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #116 on: September 26, 2020, 02:27:22 AM »
Whilst I never played Star Wars Galaxies I have numerous accounts of how the later prolific Jedi population “ruined” the game. Jedi, like any other kind of superheroes, can become a crutch and if so abused can undermine the appearance of relevance of other characters.

Make no mistake, given the incredibly poor handling of Jedi stories in the movies from the prequels onwards I feel like I could do without Jedi/Sith as well.

I am not up to speed with Clone Wars and Rebels mind you. Several folks have told me they really expand the Star Wars universe and are quite good but I just have not gotten around to them.

As for Jango and Boba.... to be fair, from what I understand, they are not Mandalorian, merely having Mandalorian armor. Whereas in the lore real Mandalorians fought Jedi with some parity. Hence the Darksaber with Moff Gideon.

I do not think the problem is having Jedi, Sith and the Force but rather how they are handled. So far the Mandalorian tv series has handled the Force well and I remain optimistic that it will continue to do so. Using the term “sorcerers” for the Jedi is a bit of hint on how they may be written into what currently feels like a Western.... going back to the crazy old wizard trope of the space opera vibe of A New Hope.

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #117 on: September 26, 2020, 06:33:07 AM »
Can’t wait for S2

The Jedi involvement looks v.minimal tbh - it’s the end goal of the season so has to be teased a little.

8)

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #118 on: September 28, 2020, 09:07:51 PM »
As for Jango and Boba.... to be fair, from what I understand, they are not Mandalorian, merely having Mandalorian armor. Whereas in the lore real Mandalorians fought Jedi with some parity. Hence the Darksaber with Moff Gideon.

It would seem that Star Wars has been a bit unclear about whether Boba is a Mandalorian. It seems that because Boba was popular, a backstory was created to explain him, and thus the Mandalorians were created. To me, he is THE Mandalorian Godfather. Not in timeline, but in terms of my introduction to the culture and iconic armor. Jango is dad, or... genetic donor? There certainly seems to be a lot of Star Wars backstory that plugs Jango into the Mandalorian history directly. Whether Jango or Boba had Beskar armor isn't ever really detailed. As we see from Mando, the armor style and Beskar aren't one and the same, so it is likely that if the Empire hoarded Beskar then Boba probably didn't have it? But it wouldn't appear that the greater Star Wars universe thinks of them as simply not Mandalorian. I suppose it depends on the books you read, or how you interpret some vague lines from the movies.

I don't want the Star Wars universe to cease having Jedi/Sith/Force, but I want to see parts of it that aren't FOCUSED on that black and white version of good and evil. Sadly, I'm not sure that you can introduce Jedi or Sith without the accompanying extremes. A force sensitive child is fine, though I would be lying if I didn't want that story line to end so we can move onto some other plot.

Offline AzSteven

• Scientist
« Reply #119 on: September 28, 2020, 11:05:00 PM »
Whilst I never played Star Wars Galaxies I have numerous accounts of how the later prolific Jedi population “ruined” the game. Jedi, like any other kind of superheroes, can become a crutch and if so abused can undermine the appearance of relevance of other characters.

Absolutely.  I was a HUGE player in SWG from the start; things started to get a little messy/unbalanced when they added more vehicles and pets into the mix, but when they opened the doors to Jedi the game almost overnight turned into Overpowered Jedi vs Overpowered Bounty Hunters.  Suddenly every other class became insignificant except as alts to use for mining and crafting.  One of the most enjoyable MMOs ever rapidly became unplayable dreck.