Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:33:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686641
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Mandalorian - Spoilers thread  (Read 39298 times)

Offline Juan

• Mad Scientist
    • Manche´s Walpurgisnacht
Re: The Mandalorian - Spoilers thread
« Reply #180 on: November 15, 2020, 09:57:22 AM »
I think this episode was more interesting than the second one, new places, new ships, new characters and new bits of information about the "Great Game". As Oshiro has said, it has expanded the Galaxy.

And Rick W., about the age of the X-Wing pilots I commented, it was because I am a member of the Spanish Air Forces and here, senior pilots (COs all of them) are posted in higher level of responsibility, nor patrolling the air space. That was the reason of my joke. But I like to see directors and other SW people in these small participations, this is one of the reasons I like a lot "The Mandalorian".

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #181 on: November 15, 2020, 12:28:22 PM »
I am an old warhorse and I completely understand.

Let‘s just say I am overly familiar with folks underestimating someone because of their age.

And yeah, it is nice to see directors care enough about the project to want to be in cameo roles.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #182 on: November 15, 2020, 07:15:57 PM »
Where do I find series 2 ???
My wife & I watched, & enjoyed, series one on her Firestick, but
we can't find Series 2. 

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #183 on: November 15, 2020, 07:26:02 PM »
Only place I know is Disney+.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #184 on: November 16, 2020, 09:37:59 AM »
Only place I know is Disney+

Unfortunately we would have to pay extra for that.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #185 on: November 16, 2020, 10:46:13 AM »
I find Disney+ to be worth the cost.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
« Reply #186 on: November 16, 2020, 07:53:51 PM »
Well, I'm a little behind but appreciate many of the sentiments already expressed. I thought episode 1 was great, and 2 just left me scratching my head. Wife liked the frog/gecko alien though. I just didn't understand what the point of the episode was, nor why the x-wing pilots would kill the ice spider thing but when Mando asked for help getting the ship flying again they were like "whatever, sucka, you are on your own." So... they came back to tell him that they didn't give two hoots about him (or his companions) freezing to death? I feel like maybe they just wouldn't have returned at all, or called off trying to destroy the Razorcrest once they figured that some crimes plus some "good acts" balance the cosmic legal system so long as he turns on his beacon? Truly, truly, confusing.

Episode 3 was better but will agree with it feeling rushed along. It jumped from action to action with seemingly little indication as to how or why things were happening. Suddenly Mandalorians? Suddenly revenge for killing my brother? Suddenly we are free from the room you trapped us in and we managed to enter the cockpit with little resistance? It all lept about too much for my tastes.

I was hoping the frog people would have absconded with baby Yoda after learning that he had been eating their babies. Take the little monster (their perspective, certainly) to the local authorities for threatening the very survival of their lineage? That didn't happen. Felt like a missed opportunity. Also, how do you miss the chance to make a connection like the Mandalorians looking for the dark saber talking to the guy who "shot down" the gent who happened to be flying around with the dark saber? Just mentioning Moff Gideon should have been enough to trigger an interesting conversation, but that was also missed.

I don't know, so far this season has not felt as coherent and interesting as the first. It is like this season was written by someone that writes those grinding side quests for Bethesda games. Go here, talk to this guy who will tell you to go there and talk to that lady who will tell you to travel over yonder and find an herb which needs to be brought to her brother... Groan.

I hate to say it, but if adding a Jedi will stop the madness, let's do it already! lol

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #187 on: November 16, 2020, 08:43:42 PM »
Yup, I agree. Great point about missed opportunities and the Bethesda side quests vibe is spot on.

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #188 on: November 16, 2020, 09:22:46 PM »
Howdie fellows!

I tremendously enjoyed the first episode and really had a good time for the next two parts.

There are many issues with Mando, but as in series 01 I don’t really care. It looks good, give gazillillions of ideas for the tabletop and is just plain good fun.

Next episode will be the return of Ahsoka!

Offline Maniac

• Scientist
« Reply #189 on: November 18, 2020, 04:17:31 PM »
I think folks are over thinking the child eating the eggs.  They are, at that point, just eggs.  They are not sentient.  Remember, according to the main series, all living things are part of the force.  Plants, animals, microbes, bugs, etc.  Essentially eating anything at all, according to the logic, is killing something with a 'soul'.  The eggs at least have no presence of mind to affect.  They are just protein jelly.

The Child's eating of the eggs, or really anything it can fit in it's mouth, is a riff on Yoda himself.  When we first met Yoda he complains to Luke "How you get so big eating food of this kind?" Then he drags Luke off for food he was making.  I think the Child is poking a little bit of fun at how big a deal Yoda seemed to make of food when you look back on it.

Certainly eating the eggs is less 'carnivorous' then eating the living lizards or bugs he's eaten in the past.  They aren't children or babies at that point.  Just protein until fertilized.  Note that he did not try to eat the tadpole....
On time, on target, or the next one's free

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #190 on: November 19, 2020, 06:09:54 AM »
I think the eating of the eggs is part of the thankfully rare thoughtless/lazy writing that can creep into something like Star Wars. The Star Wars universe is interesting to me in part for its rich diversity and layered world building. So many cultures, species. So much lore.

This subplot misses the magic of the best of Star Wars by having things like the character only being called “Frog Lady” in the credits. Her name is not given. Her species is not given. Her character is more than just a background extra. Her mate you might argue the pont on but not her. The Star Wars IP has addressed things like this in the past going from Squidhead to Quarren, much to its improvement.

There is also the dialogue where she says the eggs are the last of her bloodline if I remember correctly. Whether that means her family or species is unclear. It does not come across like she can just wait a bit and produce some more. So each egg is potentially one less opportunity for a surviving child. It is interesting to note that there is only one child, making me wonder if it was just the first, the only one that survived the process or that they only fertilized one egg.

So many things that could have been explained better if they had longer running times.

Another thing I did not understand was why Din was so dismissive of her language. “Whatever language it is that you speak” if I remember correctly.

Cinematography 101, everything in a film or tv show is there for a reason. If it was added by accident it should be edited out. Maybe there was an intentional decision not to create a name for her or her species and that line was on purpose. Or maybe it was an accident and the line is ad lib to reflect that they did not have a name for the language at filming. Either way I find it annoying and slightly diminishes what in many ways is a brilliant piece of work.

Offline Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark
« Reply #191 on: November 19, 2020, 08:35:12 AM »
The Child is just being a child, when hungry it tries to eat just about anything. I had to stop my 1 year old from eating a live spider the other day. I think people a reading to much into it.

Maybe the Frog Lady species will be fleshed out later, either in a movie, a series or a novel?
It wouldnt be the first time they did something like that.
Take Yoda as an example, we dont even know the name of his species and he has played a far bigger role in Star Wars than I think Frog Lady or her spawn ever will.

I think Frog Ladys situation regarding the eggs is left unclear, because she's just a story device to get Mando to the next planet without using hyperspace. Any more detail on her and it would distract from the main story.
Mando isnt dismissive of her language, he's frustrated with the situation and not being able to communicate with her.

Online Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #192 on: November 19, 2020, 10:07:18 AM »
Also I think that one thing that people are missing is that in all good Sci-fi og fantasy there are a lot of blank spaces for you to fill out yourself or just wonder about.
That is the main attraction for those genres. Everything does not need to be explained in detail. Only hints is really enough and you can fill in the rest with your own immagination. It has nothing to do with lazy writing. It's how it is supposed to be.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #193 on: November 19, 2020, 01:51:26 PM »
Whilst it is true that not everything needs to be explained out in minute detail just using a speaking character to get a protagonist from one place to another without considering how they fit into the setting is in my opinion the very definition of lazy writing. Saying Frog Lady is not important enough to distract us with her name or her species name suggests she did not need dialogue at all.

Folks do not need to analyze things as much as I do. If you enjoy it without looking at the small details, cool. I am constantly trying to improve my own story telling skills in various mediums so I remark on things I see, or do not see, and those that care to discuss are welcome to do so. This thread has already given me pause to rethink some of my own views and values. And that is cool. That is what discussion about art should do.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
« Reply #194 on: November 19, 2020, 09:03:54 PM »
The "it's just an egg" argument is hard for me to accept. While the Child does eat a variety of frog things across the galaxy, none of those frogs (Krill pond, for instance) had the wherewithal to book transport to another planet where their spouse was working to build a better life. I don't know what it says about the Child, but someone mentioned that "sneaking" eggs does show an understanding of right/wrong. One doesn't sneak when there is the belief that the behavior is acceptable. The Child doesn't "sneak" eating frog things on other planets and performs happily for a group of small children. But in this episode, the writing clearly indicates that both Mando and the Child understand that it isn't OK to eat the eggs. So why then is the character both a focus AND unimportant? Did we need to be introduced to the character just so Mando has a babysitter in the third episode? You know... a babysitter whose children the Child eats uncontrollably?

It's odd. I don't think you have to look very deep for this to be odd, and I think that is what gets to me. I don't know that you can add more minutes to the show and explain away this entirely awkward plot thread. I'm hoping that there is actually some link that comes back which gives me a sense of all the pieces falling into place. Perhaps nobody knows where Yoda is from, but that his people routinely eat the frog people's offspring? The frog people don't speak "whatever Mandalorians speak" and thus they can't say "Sweet mother of god, why do you have one of those awful baby munchers on your ship?" Or maybe they just accept the loss? I mean, laying a lot of eggs is typically a survival strategy to make sure that some offspring survive the predator/food chain gauntlet. But, maybe they (once you get a translator) can point the way to a whole colony of Yodas because they are from the same swamp planet?

That would make the story, as it has been told to date, make sense. Make more sense. There are still some weird holes in the idea, but it would be one that I could follow along with. Right now it does just feel sloppy.