Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:08:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686609
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Mandalorian - Spoilers thread  (Read 39286 times)

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
Re: The Mandalorian - Spoilers thread
« Reply #210 on: November 20, 2020, 05:32:37 PM »
Chapter 12 was fucking awesome!

Time to get the toys out  :D

Mine are out already.
Painting more stuff... :D ;D

Just loved this episode.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #211 on: November 20, 2020, 06:27:10 PM »
I agree that the Stormtroopers are being portrayed as rather inept. Which is disappointing. They are however better portrayed than the New Order.

Whilst the show is full of tropes I think they are generally done well and I find Pedro Pascal to be doing a fine, charismatic job in the role. He has excellent scenes where he can portray emotions well without having to task his mask off. And not taking his helmet off is I believe in him having been taken in by Death Watch.

Folks might wonder why I am so passionate about Star Wars. As a child the first film was incredibly important to me. I listed to an audio version of it on cassette tape over and over and over. Hundreds if not thousands of times. Even to this day over four decades later I can quite lines from the first film verbatim.

As the years went by and Lucas brought out more films I grew increasingly distant from his evolving vision. That made me sad. I got my hopes up for the recent films but they all disappointed. Some more than others. For whatever reason this show finally speaks to me the way the original film did.

I am engaging in this thread in part to think out loud and try to figure out why I get the same goosebumps I did as a kid when all the recent movies failed to evoke that response.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 06:34:39 PM by Rick W. »
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Manchu

• Mad Scientist
    • Life on Jasoom?
« Reply #212 on: November 20, 2020, 06:56:52 PM »
I must be missing something, because this show just reminds me of a slightly more violent Saturday Morning Cartoon, rather than anything "gritty" or tense, or gripping.
Not sure what you have in mind for “gritty or tense, or gripping” but S2 opens with Mando stringing a dude up and leaving him to be consumed alive by vermin. In a cartoon (for kids), this situation might be set up but (a) it would be the work of a villain rather than the protagonist and (b) it would have been resolved with the victim’s rescue.

I mean, it’s not flat-out horror, nor is it aiming for that. I think by “gritty,” most people mean something a little bit moral and a little bit physical. The main thrust of the setting is the fringe and frontier of civilization: locations and props are dirty and well-used and characters are wary of others and not completely trustworthy themselves.

Offline Juan

• Mad Scientist
    • Manche´s Walpurgisnacht
« Reply #213 on: November 20, 2020, 08:10:01 PM »
I have liked a lot this episode, classic Star Wars, but I am also begining to feel they are too short. A lot of plot is lost with such a hurry!

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #214 on: November 20, 2020, 08:50:38 PM »
I must be missing something, because this show just reminds me of a slightly more violent Saturday Morning Cartoon, rather than anything "gritty" or tense, or gripping.

A) It's Star Wars, B) It's designed to be family friendly, C) It's star wars.
What was the highest age certification for a Star Wars movie?

It's kinda fun, but Pedro Fett just strikes me as a less charismatic imitation of old Clint Eastwood characters, and the plots extremely simplistic.

Erm, what? Firstly, it's pretty clear it is designed to be a homage to "the man with no name" and other westerns. You even have episodes that hark to the likes of the seven samurai / magnificent 7 etc. As for plot. You really can't mention the Spaghetti Westerns and then suggest that the plots are extremely simplistic. I mean none of those movies had complicated plots at all, they were incredibly simplistic really.

I think the most entertaining part of this season so far is, knowing the behind the scenes drama with Pedro Pascal, watching literally every other Mandalorian character and stunt-casted actor taking their helmet off at every opportunity.

As has already been said, this was a fake rumour. But even then, if you have watched any of the other series you would know that the way of the Mandolar is a reference to Mandolar, an actual person who is a hero to many Mandalorian natives. However, as described in the last episode, some follow a strict code they believe he set. So far, we haven't seen a Mandalorian of the same group as our main character, remove their helmet.
RP Tabletop Blog:

RP vlog channel: https://www.youtube.com/@RandomPlatypus

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #215 on: November 20, 2020, 09:12:06 PM »
The Child is just being a child, when hungry it tries to eat just about anything. I had to stop my 1 year old from eating a live spider the other day. I think people a reading to much into it.

That!  When my daughter started to crawl, no bug living or dead was safe from her. That’s just what little children do.

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #216 on: November 20, 2020, 09:21:50 PM »
Just finished today’s episode. Yes, it’s simple (not simplistic!), yes, it’s rushed, but it was (again!) great fun, and I can even get my wife to watch it on a regular basis.

Loved the style, the school and Moff G.‘s ship at the end. So many tabletop opportunities.

Offline Veteran Sergeant

• Assistant
« Reply #217 on: November 20, 2020, 11:28:29 PM »
A) It's Star Wars,
Rogue One was Star Wars, and it wasn't structured like a children's cartoon. Neither was The Empire Strikes Back, for that matter. Turns out that being Star Wars doesn't mean something can't have an interesting story with mature themes.

The Mandalorian just is what is is.  A live action cartoon Star Wars Lite for preteens.  You can still like it, but let's not pretend it isn't the same show where Pedro Fett crawls up the side of a sand crawler while Jawas throw trash at him, only remembering they have Space Tasers when he reaches the top so they can zap him off and he can fall off the side like Wliey Coyote.

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
« Reply #218 on: November 21, 2020, 12:00:12 AM »
Rogue One was Star Wars, and it wasn't structured like a children's cartoon. Neither was The Empire Strikes Back, for that matter. Turns out that being Star Wars doesn't mean something can't have an interesting story with mature themes.

The Mandalorian just is what is is.  A live action cartoon Star Wars Lite for preteens.  You can still like it, but let's not pretend it isn't the same show where Pedro Fett crawls up the side of a sand crawler while Jawas throw trash at him, only remembering they have Space Tasers when he reaches the top so they can zap him off and he can fall off the side like Wliey Coyote.

Rogue One, was far grittier but still not a 15. It was still aimed at being digestible by a family audience. Even more so with the Empire Strikes Back. Yes, there are 'some' mature themes. And again that very much depends upon what you class as a mature theme. Revealing a father you didn't know isn't particularly mature. The concept of a less than straightforward love as seen between Leia and Han isn't particularly mature either. The plots on neither are complicated. In fact, the plot of Empire is relatively straight forward as is Rogue One. Doesn't stop either being great movies to watch though.

As for adult themes, he obliterated several Jawas in an angry rage in season one... Then you have sort of likenesses to Shane (western) at some moments too. The times when he is tempted, albeit briefly, to stop and settle down, but then his guns are needed. And the conflict between only taking the 'good' jobs, and then the balance of taking the 'bad' jobs because they are the means in which to reach the 'good' outcome. Then there is the genocide that saw the death of both his parents. He has been not trusting, too trusting, critical of others for not trusting or seeking a peaceful route etc. There is a fair bit going on for 30-40minute episodes of which there have only been 12 so far.

It's clear you don't like it, but you don't have to belittle it and diminish the reasons others enjoy it. I personally think it hits the spot in terms of again, being for all of he family. There are references, homages and lore that you wouldn't necessarily pick up as a kid. All are nods to the adults that will be watching it with their families.

Also, the characters name is Din Djarin. Pedro is the actors name, I kinda get that, and Fett belongs to two characters, Jango and Boba, neither of which are/were Mandalorians. They wear the armour but that's it. Surely Pedrolorian would be better? ;D

Offline Manchu

• Mad Scientist
    • Life on Jasoom?
« Reply #219 on: November 21, 2020, 07:17:34 AM »
Dudes it’s totally useless to discuss whether the show is “gritty” without first agreeing on what that even means. As I said before, it seems like most people use that term to refer to the frontier worn’n’rusted aesthetic plus the moral tone of trust having to be earned rather than assumed.

Also, calling the show a live action cartoon for pre-teens is weird. Who are you trying to impress with this edginess? OF COURSE people who enjoy this show understand it is a pulp adventure. So how is that a critique? Do you want it to be more gory or sexually explicit? Why? What would be the point?

Citing Rogue One as an example of “mature themes” is pretty absurd. It could have gone that way (Cassian Andor murdering the Rebel informant at the beginning of the film, Saw Gerrara being “Apocalypse Now”-style insane) but those ideas are abandoned before our eyes during the film’s runtime. What a terrible mess that film was. If you want to use “cartoon” as a pejorative term, especially meaning juvenile and superficial, then that term definitely applies to Rogue One. But Darth Vader murdered a hallway full of terrified Rebels like Jason Vorhees so I guess it’s “mature.”

The Empire Strikes Back has at least one fairly sophisticated subplot: Lando, a conman turned legitimate businessman and civic administrator, morally compromises himself — to nobly protect his people or selfishly protect his investment and status? In that sense of “maturity,” The Mandalorian definitely engages in “mature” themes.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 07:34:04 AM by Manchu »

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #220 on: November 21, 2020, 09:13:37 AM »
I agree with several of your points Manchu and McFonz.

Manchu, thank you for giving me a different perspective on that Vader scene. I really liked that scene for the cinematography but you articulated something that I had picked up on but could not really explain. I thought the scene illustrated why Vader was so feared but I had not considered the actual helpless horror aspect.

It would be nice if folks could avoid snarkiness in their critiques. I saw a comment in another thread referencing this conversation that soured my mood because of the implied snarkiness in it as well as what has crept into this conversation. If my critiques of the show have come across as snarky, rude or disrespectful I apologize.

To be honest I am beginning to regret ever voicing my opinion in this thread, which I accept is my own fault. Seems I keep forgetting the advice, “never get off the boat”.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 09:15:12 AM by Rick W. »

Offline Manchu

• Mad Scientist
    • Life on Jasoom?
« Reply #221 on: November 21, 2020, 09:56:25 AM »
The Vader scene is fine — it’s cool to see the Dark Lord be scary. It’s just not all that “mature” in any meaningful way, hence my comparison to slasher horror. It’s fun but just as cartoonish as any other cartoonish aspect of Star Wars.

The main problem with Rogue One isn’t it’s lack of “maturity,” however; rather, the issue is, its characters are paper thin. By contrast, The Mandalorian has great characters. Even minor characters have lots of personality. And as I mentioned above, it is pretty interesting that both main and minor characters in the show are presented as having a moral perspective, one way or the other.

Offline hubbabubba

• Mastermind
« Reply #222 on: November 21, 2020, 01:25:11 PM »
I think you might all be over thinking it lol

I'm enjoying it loads, can't wait till next weeks installment

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
« Reply #223 on: November 21, 2020, 07:15:23 PM »
I agree with you Manchu.

I apologise if I came in a bit heavy handed.

I'll be honest here, I am a bit tired of the toxicity that the counter star wars culture is generating. People who look to do nothing but criticise the modern movies/series as being aimed at children etc. That, despite the fact that Lucas always wanted his movies to be aimed at the family audience - and quite rightly, he had investments in the toy sales resulting from the franchises. Toys sell, primarily to kids, bought by their parents.

To consider Star Wars was anything but that is disingenuous. The complexity of star wars has always been that it can deliver to every generation it is aimed at. That there are themes for all, love, romance, family, good vs evil and everything in between. At the heart the plot and story isn't that unique, it's the telling of the story and the richness of the setting that make it brilliant.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #224 on: November 21, 2020, 10:53:43 PM »
Sorry I'm a bit behind - just saw Ep1 S2 tonight and loved it. The thrill of seeing red R5 (complete with scorched marks where the motivator blew!) in the ship bay on Tatooine was too much. The fun with Timothy Olyphant as Marshall, the glimpse of Boba Fett at the end ... just too much for my poor inferior pre-teen immature self.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 01:53:13 PM by Cubs »
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter