Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:44:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Mandalorian - Spoilers thread  (Read 39265 times)

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
Re: The Mandalorian - Spoilers thread
« Reply #240 on: November 29, 2020, 10:20:38 PM »
Bloody loved it.

I am also beginning to wonder if this series is going to be the launch pad of various other series.

Cara Dune is rumoured to be getting her own series, unless she is found to be too controversial with her political views (lets not go down that rabbit hole here 8)). Now, the last we saw of her, she was given a token as a form of an invite to return to the "rebels" or perhaps the New Republic? It sets itself as a great moment for her to branch off on her own adventures.

Then there is Asoka Tano. She may well get her own series too. She is a firm favourite from Clone Wars and a creation of Filoni. So we know that the love is there, and she certainly has a story to be told, though we know she is no longer alive by the time of RoS as her voice is heard speaking to Rey and it has been confirmed all those we hear in that segment are no longer around at that time, having passed on to where ever it is Jedi spirits go to.

I sort of wonder if the Bo-Katan and Mandalor storyline might be the plot that sort of acts a bit like the catalyst for some team ups? Some shared plots across stories etc?
RP Tabletop Blog:

RP vlog channel: https://www.youtube.com/@RandomPlatypus

Offline Skrapwelder

• Mastermind
  • Pluviophile
    • What Ho, Cythereans!
« Reply #241 on: November 30, 2020, 03:09:03 PM »
One question to those LAFers with more Samurai experience: I had the impression that several parts of the episode were a reference to an older Eastern or Samurai movie, e.g. the castle, the alarm bill, the cages (reminding me of crucified prisoners). Is this so or was it just a general homage to this genre?

The Mandalorian himself seems heavily influenced by the main character in Yojimbo. In addition I thought the early sequences in the forest were very reminiscent of  Throne of Blood, Kurusawa's take on MacBeth.

This was my favorite episode episode to date.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
« Reply #242 on: November 30, 2020, 06:43:19 PM »
Ok... I'm not retracting my take on adding Jedi to this series but... as a cameo, I thought it played well. I was glad to see that Tano wouldn't be tagging along for the rest of the season, even if I rather enjoyed her in the episode. I think it maybe helps that she isn't a Jedi in the common goody-two-shoes manner, and by the time of this episode I believe she isn't a Jedi at all? I'm not well versed in the back and forth of her story arc.

That said, having refused to take/train the child I'm a bit bummed that we have to go on another Jedi hunt.

It does seem that this season is working towards introducing some characters that might work well in their own spin-off series. Bo-Katan's quest to regain the darksaber would be a good story to follow.

Offline nozza_uk

• Mad Scientist
    • The wargaming world of Nozza
« Reply #243 on: December 01, 2020, 09:27:47 AM »
by the time of this episode I believe she isn't a Jedi at all? I'm not well versed in the back and forth of her story arc.

Quoting Wookiepedia "Tano was framed for the bombing of the Jedi Temple hangar and other homicides, and she escaped into the Coruscant underworld to clear her name. Though she formed an unlikely alliance with Asajj Ventress, she was detained by Republic forces and was consequently barred from the Jedi Order. Ultimately, Anakin Skywalker uncovered the true culprit, Tano's friend, and fellow Padawan Barriss Offee, and prevented his former apprentice from being convicted of sedition. Nevertheless, the ordeal dislodged Tano's faith in the Jedi. She refused the Jedi High Council's offer to rejoin the Order, instead of departing in search of a new path and becoming a Force-Sensitive Outcast."

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #244 on: December 01, 2020, 10:02:17 AM »
Yeah, I just watched that episode on Clone Wars! She was kicked out by the council after being falsely accused, but when the real culprit was found and she was invited to be re-admitted to the order, she was so disgusted that the council had not trusted her, she literally walked off into the sunset. Presumably this is how she survived the purge of Order 66. Kids' show though it is, there are some interesting and mature nuances to the Clone Wars stories underneath the cartoon fun. This is one of the stories that show the Jedi Order to be less than the perfect models of wisdom they aim to be, perhaps part of Palpatine's grand scheme to draw them into a galaxy wide war, eroding their peaceful and non-political values to fatally weaken them from within. The actual bomber was a Jedi herself, torn by how far the Order had strayed from their traditional values, no longer seeing them not as reluctant protectors, but aggressors in the war.

But I digress. Yup, Ahsoka Tano is cool.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
« Reply #245 on: December 01, 2020, 10:41:48 AM »
She's a trained Jedi, but not part of the Jedi order. It isn't only the being exiled from the Jedi Order that leads to her choice, but everything leading up to it.

I felt it to be a bit like the times in Star Trek when one of the captains rails against the non-interference principles of the federation. At times the rules are pompous, arrogant even.

It's a turning point for the Jedi, the beginning of the end so to speak. I think it feeds into the reluctance Yoda initially has to train Luke in Empire too. As such it also bridges to the new movies (love them or hate them) in the sense that Yoda's force ghost suggests that being a Jedi isn't the only way to be a force of good and the order's time had passed. By that point they have Tano to prove that.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #246 on: December 01, 2020, 11:54:45 AM »
I felt it to be a bit like the times in Star Trek when one of the captains rails against the non-interference principles of the federation. At times the rules are pompous, arrogant even.

In one episode of Next Generation, Jean Luc, in reply to the Doctors
railing against 'The Prime Directive' stops the turbo lift & agrees that
in that particular situation the P.D. seems wrong. He then postulates
a slightly different series of scenarios. It is not so obvious as to where
to draw the line. That, he says, is why we have the P.D. In the early
days of the Federation so many mistakes were made, with the best of
intentions.
When they brought out the Pre-quel to Kirk's Star Trek I thought that
it was a golden opportunity to show those mistakes. To have a 'Kirk'
unhampered by the P.D. Boy was I disappointed with what they did do.

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #247 on: December 01, 2020, 12:16:10 PM »
I'm wondering if Moff Gideon and Thrawn (whatever rank he may have at this time) will come to logger heads and slug it out with the New Republic watching on (or taking part hopefully).

I also wonder if there will be another series set a few years after this one showing the progress, or lack of it, by the New Republic  ???
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
« Reply #248 on: December 01, 2020, 12:32:47 PM »
I'm wondering if Moff Gideon and Thrawn (whatever rank he may have at this time) will come to logger heads and slug it out with the New Republic watching on (or taking part hopefully).

I also wonder if there will be another series set a few years after this one showing the progress, or lack of it, by the New Republic  ???

I've seen rumours about a Poe Dameron series... potentially that could be set prior to the new trilogy. Perhaps that could give more of that side of things? There's quite a bit of time between the Mandalorian and the latest trilogy so I suspect we may get to see all sorts of things explored by different characters. I think that's what I like about it. We're seeing a bounty hunters take on it, all be it one with on the whole good tendencies thankfully.

We are also seeing a different side of the force as well. The universe observing it from a distance, still people out there who believe it to be a bit of a myth. Still some old scores to settle like Mandalor still not having been freed. Perhaps reminding us that the Empire still has a grip in places. Though so far in this series it's definitely somewhat weaker.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #249 on: December 01, 2020, 12:44:20 PM »
There's quite a bit of time between the Mandalorian and the latest trilogy so I suspect we may get to see all sorts of things explored by different characters.

I was wondering if the title sequence for The Mandalorian - with all the different heads and helmets (pfff) flashing alongside the Stranger Things-style intro music was a hint that there's a variety of different stories being written, ready to be drip-fed into the TV episode format. If so, they're probably boxing a bit clever after dumping too many Star Wars movies in quick succession and maybe want to take things slower, making sure they have good stories, good characters and good casting, not to mention hunger from the public, before leaping into it.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #250 on: December 01, 2020, 01:48:30 PM »
I would be very surprised if the Marvel universe marketing strategy is not now going to be applied to the Star Wars universe. I expect several threads to begin being woven together with another 10 year, 3 phase plan.

Gideon versus Thrawn... I had not considered that possibility. Interesting.

Long shot idea... Grogu becomes a Knight of Ren? Or a victim of Ben Solo at Luke’s Academy?
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline dwartist

• Mastermind
    • DWARTIST'S PAINTING BLOG
« Reply #251 on: December 01, 2020, 02:01:43 PM »
I know Pedro Pascal is the 'Mandolorian' but am I the only one who thinks he talks and walks just like Timothy Olyphant (Cobb Vanth in the series, Deadwood, Justified)? The only time I've seen PP as other characters he speaks with a  Spanish(?) accent.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #252 on: December 01, 2020, 03:39:33 PM »
The only time I've seen PP as other characters he speaks with a  Spanish(?) accent.

I think he's Chilean/American and is a fluent Spanish speaker, which, combined with his Latino looks, probably dictated he'd get a lot of those style parts. He does have a good swagger and presumably they want slim actors for things like that, if only because he needs to fit in the suit without looking oddly bulky.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
« Reply #253 on: December 01, 2020, 03:58:53 PM »
Marvel has certainly done a good job of weaving a larger tale over the years. With Disney at the helm of each project, and with a strong drive to turn everything into a franchise/remake/reboot built into the Disney machine, I'd be absolutely stunned if we didn't have more projects like Rogue One in the works. I'm guessing we will see movies and TV series to support the expanding universe of lore. The good news is that there is already a metric ton of source material. Even if you did a live-action/CGI remake of the Clone Wars cartoons, you would have enough material for several years of TV. Video games, books... I think they landed on a gold mine. I doubt I'll live to see the Star Wars (or Trek) well dry up.

Offline Mr Tough Guy

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #254 on: December 01, 2020, 04:30:17 PM »
I know Pedro Pascal is the 'Mandolorian' but am I the only one who thinks he talks and walks just like Timothy Olyphant (Cobb Vanth in the series, Deadwood, Justified)? The only time I've seen PP as other characters he speaks with a  Spanish(?) accent.

I can recommend watching Pedro Pascal in "Prospect", really nice sci-fi flick of the kind that I wished we would see more of