Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:21:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686614
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Mandalorian - Spoilers thread  (Read 39292 times)

Offline Manchu

• Mad Scientist
    • Life on Jasoom?
Re: The Mandalorian - Spoilers thread
« Reply #270 on: December 04, 2020, 03:16:58 AM »
I’m also a big, big fan of the episodic format. I really miss that structure of TV shows.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #271 on: December 04, 2020, 10:46:03 AM »
What. An. Episode!

Epic. Epic. Epic!

Some Lucas lore overturned but for the better I think. This show just keeps on delivering.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #272 on: December 04, 2020, 12:07:48 PM »
Holy shitballs  :o

Loved it  :D

New bloody vehicle to make though  lol
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Historiker

• Scientist
« Reply #273 on: December 04, 2020, 12:22:56 PM »
I liked it but did not find it to be special as was the case with the last episode (in finding it special on a narrative and aesthetic level).

The series, in my opinion, would be greatly enhanced if the episodes were longer. I don't mean that in the "gimme more! kinda way, otherwise I would have been a fan of Peter Jackson's Hobbit Trilogy which I am most definitely not, but in a "let the characters breathe" way.

The current style in my opinion leads to all characters except the two protagonists (and Ahsoka) seeming like NPC characters, ready to suit a specific purpose and ready to be discarded at any time. These NPC characters rarely need any dialogue / evolution to become allies / enemies just like in a (shallow) RPG.

"Ah, there is a debt now, now we have to follow you on your mission - nod nod, yes yes". I was really looking forward to see more Fennec Shand but so far it did not pay off for me.

Still very much looking forward to how this season finishes with the last two episodes.

"The philosopher Didactylos has summed up an alternative hypothesis as: Things just happen. What the hell."

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #274 on: December 04, 2020, 12:49:05 PM »
The episode had flaws.

My wife kept saying, “go get your jet pack!”
There were a lot of Stormtroopers in that first ship.
Don‘t run on the crest of a hill when being shot at.
Why didn’t the Imperial ship shoot Slave 1?
Why did that ship mean “the Empire is back” when scores of Stormtroopers did not?
Why didn’t Din learn his lesson the first time he tried to get through that Force barrier?

I agree that yet again the show suffers from the short running time.  It is edited entirely too tightly. Makes wonder if there is a director’s cut or special edition in the future which restores some of the edited footage.

Perhaps I was a bit blown away by some of the epic bits... like the change in Jango’s and therefore Boba’s backstory. Boba being a brilliant combatant. His Gaffi Stick visually shattering Stormtrooper armor (such a nice little detail) sitting on the edge of my seat to see who was in the ship that arrived after Slave 1. Some nice humor from Din. Moff Gideon twirling his moustache. Temuera freaking Morrison... man he is epic!

Because of these moments it was too easy for me to overlook what you quite rightly point out Historiker, there is still a certain NPC vibe to many of the characters and their decisions. And it feels like yet again Din is putting together a team to go on an adventure. I can not for example understand why he really needs Mayfeld (Bill Burr) to track Moff Gideon.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 03:23:02 PM by Rick W. »

Offline Historiker

• Scientist
« Reply #275 on: December 04, 2020, 12:59:18 PM »
We will probably get one more episode which is half "getting to Mayfeld" and half "epic season ending" and then one more completely "epic season ending" episode with a massive cliffhanger  :D

For me it is a weird mixture: I like that they actually expand the Star Wars canon and have a try at world building in this established world, yet a lot of their attempts seem a little unrefined. The Dark Troopers are a neat concept but also a good example of this: They get introduced, just like the other characters, and that's it. "There, you have another toy, now to our next set piece".

Would like to see a more gradual approach, taking more time. In the end it also probably comes down to money - if you have crazy money like GoT you can take your time (or not, as Season 8 shows, and I still shudder...). When they took their time however, like in the last episode which had lots of stillness next to the action the results were extremely good.

So, fellow enthusiasts, which Jedi will answer Baby...Grogu´s Call?

Revan :D The Outcast :D Kyle Katarn :D A different incarnation of Mara Jade :D ???

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #276 on: December 04, 2020, 01:22:59 PM »
The series, in my opinion, would be greatly enhanced if the episodes were longer.

Yup, each time the credits roll up the wife and I yell "Noooo!" because it seems it's just started. Who knows what pressures there are on programme makers that dictates the lengths of their episodes, but it seems to me that another ten or fifteen minutes would flesh out each vignette nicely but still keep it lean enough without any padding, to keep the viewer wanting more.

By the way, does anyone else deliberately stay and watch the credits at the end, to see the lovely paintings? I wonder if the pics will be available to buy anywhere?
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #277 on: December 04, 2020, 01:34:12 PM »
By the way, does anyone else deliberately stay and watch the credits at the end, to see the lovely paintings? I wonder if the pics will be available to buy anywhere?

Yes and I wonder if they're done just for the credits or are pre-productions that have been altered (the slight movement)

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #278 on: December 04, 2020, 02:01:17 PM »
Those paintings are beautiful. As much as I am enjoying the TV show I think the music and end credit paintings are my favourite things!

A big lavish book of them would be a must buy.

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #279 on: December 04, 2020, 02:16:31 PM »
I’ve refrained from reading this thread again, until today, as I’ve just binge-watched all of Season 2 so far....

...firstly, some of you really seem to be overthinking this series  :)

...I prefer the more “simplistic” approach of James, as summed up by:

Holy shitballs  :o

Loved it  :D

New bloody vehicle to make though  lol

So far the highlights for me have been the egg-eating, Katie Sakehoff, crane-Walker, Katie Sakehoff and Big Bad Bobba and his gaffi stick.

Shit, I had an omelette the other day.

Frogs are people too Steve  ;)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 02:54:21 PM by AKULA »

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #280 on: December 04, 2020, 03:32:29 PM »
I love the artwork and music, so yeah I watch the credits.

For as long as I can remember people have told me that I try too hard, think too much and wear my heart on my sleeve.... as if these are bad things. I do not think they are bad things. But then I suppose that does get me running the risk of having my posts deleted.

And your joke AKULA gets to the crux of the egg eating, whether you see the characters as people or not.

As for the Dark Troopers... Droids or Cyborgs?

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
  • Sometimes I feel like Schroedinger's Cat
« Reply #281 on: December 04, 2020, 03:52:01 PM »
Those paintings are beautiful. As much as I am enjoying the TV show I think the music and end credit paintings are my favourite things!

A big lavish book of them would be a must buy.

No kidding!  Seeing that gorgeous art at the end is like having extra dessert after a great meal!

"But wait, there's more...!"
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 07:12:39 PM by ErikB »

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #283 on: December 04, 2020, 05:11:09 PM »
 :o :-*

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #284 on: December 04, 2020, 05:15:46 PM »
Not due till the 22nd but I’ve got it on preorder from Waterstones.

Nice little Christmas present to myself although there’ll be so much inspiration in there I won’t know where to start  lol