Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:07:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686467
  • Total Topics: 118101
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Mandalorian - Spoilers thread  (Read 39254 times)

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Sci-Fi blog - Task Force Thor
Re: The Mandalorian - Spoilers thread
« Reply #285 on: December 04, 2020, 07:15:10 PM »
Not due till the 22nd but I’ve got it on preorder from Waterstones.

Nice little Christmas present to myself although there’ll be so much inspiration in there I won’t know where to start  lol

Ahh, that's strange Amazon says it was released on the 1st of December and it's already unavailable. Went ahead and ordered mine at Bookdepository. Says it will be released on the 15th. Fingers crossed for that to be true.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #286 on: December 04, 2020, 07:16:57 PM »
I don’t mind waiting as I’ve got plenty to be getting on with  lol
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Manchu

• Mad Scientist
    • Life on Jasoom?
« Reply #287 on: December 04, 2020, 08:56:32 PM »
Did anyone get this book?

Yes, got my copy this past Tuesday. Paid 27USD, it is well worth it for fans of the production and minis gamers will find it particularly worthwhile.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
« Reply #288 on: December 04, 2020, 09:19:41 PM »
I love the artwork and music, so yeah I watch the credits.

As for the Dark Troopers... Droids or Cyborgs?
I watch the credits too. Always interesting to see how the concept art varies from the production work. The art is nice, but I always view it as more of a game to see how it differs.

I always thought Dark Troopers were droids, though I think I primarily got that idea from video games.

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #289 on: December 04, 2020, 09:55:31 PM »
Loved it, though not as much as the last episode and the first episode of season 2. great potential for an epic final.

Boba + Fennec + Mando + unknown Jeid (Kyle Katarn?) vs. Dark Troopers!

Had nearly forgotten them since playing Dark Forces a long time ago in a part of my life now far far away...

Online Mark

• Librarian
« Reply #290 on: December 04, 2020, 10:03:43 PM »
Another great episode, though I feel I have been short changed 20 minutes of star wars tonight! Don't usually have an issue with the run time, but 30 minutes was not enough for my weekly fix!

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #291 on: December 04, 2020, 10:19:19 PM »
Another great episode, though I feel I have been short changed 20 minutes of star wars tonight! Don't usually have an issue with the run time, but 30 minutes was not enough for my weekly fix!

Yes! I feel the same, but I’ve been binge watching the Clone Wars (great!) and am now giving myself in to an episode of Rebels per day (also very good after the first couple of episodes).

Offline Manchu

• Mad Scientist
    • Life on Jasoom?
« Reply #292 on: December 05, 2020, 03:37:13 AM »
Weirdly, this was the weakest episode so far IMO. Too many “gee whiz” elements stuffed in, just thing after thing after thing and yet no time for emotional impact. What a contrast to S2E2!

Most of the show’s strength stems from its low stakes. Things are ramping up to “epic” with the paradoxical result of losing a sense of gravity. I hope this is mostly down to the directing, which was not strong at all, and the show can get back on track tonally in its final two episodes this season.

Offline nozza_uk

• Mad Scientist
    • The wargaming world of Nozza
« Reply #293 on: December 05, 2020, 07:59:08 AM »
Finally watched it last night. Why only 27 minutes? The previous episode was 52 minutes. Why can't Disney settle on a set episode duration? Say what you like about Discovery, at least the episodes are the same length every week.

Nice to have a 3rd episode in a row where a character from a previous film/TV show appears.

My gripe is why do they continue to show Stormtroopers as cannon fodder (and I know this goes backs to movies)? Stormtrooper armour seems to be as ineffective as ever - makes you wonder why they wear it? I know it's to make the main characters seem badass, but I think the Empire would struggle to take over a picnic, let alone a galaxy!

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #294 on: December 05, 2020, 09:23:16 AM »
A fair point about this episode increasing the epic factor but losing some of the sense of gravity to it.

And the constant waves of Stormtrooper cannon fodder is part of that. There was a video game feel to it. I got my hopes up a bit when the Stormtrooper Officer/NCO at least thought of flanking but then it was never properly executed and instead he was flanked in turn.

Even the heavy weapons proved more for show than a real threat. As an old mortar maggot myself I was pleased at first to see a mortar but proved as ineffective as the rest.

I feel like directors miss that the more mooks you throw at heroes, the less scary they become. A few scenes showing Stormtroopers saved by their armor would add to the immersion of the Star Wars universe. Does the armor of the Clone Troopers ever save them in the Clone Wars shows? I have only seen a couple of episodes.

Of course the masked helmets dehumanize the Stormtroopers and make it easy to forget that the newer films established them as “kidnapped and conditioned as children slave soldiers” like Finn. And their repeated incompetence erodes their supposed elite, fear inducing status.... although I think their reputation for poor marksmanship is falsely earned their tactical competence is repeatedly demonstrated.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #295 on: December 05, 2020, 10:01:16 AM »
Never mind all that, when are they going to save Grogu?  :o

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #296 on: December 05, 2020, 10:12:56 AM »
 lol

Offline Huascar

• Librarian
« Reply #297 on: December 05, 2020, 11:00:32 AM »
Episode 14, Guns of Navarone reference, anyone else see it?

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #298 on: December 05, 2020, 11:15:39 AM »
Never mind all that, when are they going to save Grogu?  :o
Should that not read when are they going to save the empire from Grogu
Loved the scene of them coming into the room with the two storm troopers getting thrown about the room lol lol lol

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #299 on: December 05, 2020, 11:45:41 AM »
Should that not read when are they going to save the empire from Grogu

lol