Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:23:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689604
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 588
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The '45. A campaign using Pikeman's Lament  (Read 3312 times)

Offline pbjunky1

• Scientist
The '45. A campaign using Pikeman's Lament
« on: November 19, 2019, 12:36:24 AM »
Just started a Culloden based campaign (from Black Powder but using PL rules) at Wigan Tabletop Games Club. So far it's going according to history with the clan triumphant  and Bonnie Prince advancing into England. You just know it's all going to end badly.

https://wigangames.club/forum/index.php?thread/677-raising-the-standard/#post2805

Here's a few pix to whet the appetite

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
    • Corlears Hook Fencibles
Re: The '45. A campaign using Pikeman's Lament
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2019, 04:10:37 AM »
Nice!
And the glorious general led the advance
With a glorious swish of his sword and his lance
And a glorious clank of his tin-plated pants. - Dr. Seuss

My blog: http://corlearshookfencibles.blogspot.com/

Offline levied troop

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2019, 07:57:35 AM »
Nice write-up and a good looking game.
The League of Gentlemen Anti Alchemists
(We Turn Gold into Lead)

Offline pbjunky1

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2019, 12:26:42 AM »
Third battle (Trowley Bottom) just  fought.  To see the truth of the oft quoted statement 'At the end of the day it's a dice based game' read on.

https://wigangames.club/forum/index.php?thread/677-raising-the-standard/#post2840

Meanwhile here's a few pix to whet the whistle

Offline Spooner6wa

• Assistant
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2019, 03:04:52 AM »
What about PL rather than Rebels and Patriots do you like for the ‘45?  I am leaning towards R&P for my ‘45 project.  My concern is how the rules treat the Scottish clans.  Does the interaction feel right.

Chris
Chris
"I always arrive late at the office, but I make up for it by leaving early" - Charles Lamb

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2019, 11:33:25 AM »
I'd be interested as well. At the moment my intent is to use Sharp Practice.
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

Offline pbjunky1

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2020, 05:38:36 PM »
Apologies for the delay in replying. As the '45 fell between rules sets we went with PL though you probably could use R&P. Wild Charge with a simple unalterable stat line  did it for us really as it seemed to capture better the clan rather than the 'native' profile in  R&P.
We were really happy  with the games we played and the Jacobite dominance was down to dice rolling rather than issues with the rules.
The campaign itself was from a Black Powder supplement so it was a proper hybrid.

Offline pbjunky1

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2020, 06:02:46 PM »
The Battle of Hampstead Heath
In the final battle of the campaign Cumberland's failure to appreciate the implications of having raw rather than veteran units proved his downfall.
For details of a bloody encounter on the outskirts of London  check the website.
For some example pics see below
https://wigangames.club/forum/index.php?thread/677-raising-the-standard/&postID=2941#post2941

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2020, 07:46:00 PM »
So the Stuart line was restored. Ah well, just in time to fall victim to the fashionable revolutions spreading across Europe in the 1780s...

Offline Terryb

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2020, 07:35:00 AM »
Loved the campaign write up. Really enjoyed it, thanks

Offline SHARPE52

• Bookworm
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2020, 08:10:58 AM »
What about PL rather than Rebels and Patriots do you like for the ‘45?  I am leaning towards R&P for my ‘45 project.  My concern is how the rules treat the Scottish clans.  Does the interaction feel right.

Chris

Actually we are using R&P rules that in my opinion work very well for the '45 Campaign. As  far as Clans profile is concerned we used successfully  the Native one, adding some special rule such as "Aggressive" to fit better our view of their behaviour.  To be honest we have never played PL so I cannot say if they could work better for this period.
Besides, the battlefields look fantastic :-*
Marco

Offline robo61254

• Lurker
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2020, 12:26:27 AM »
Your campaign may have gone completely different with R&P vs PL.
In Pikeman's lament, missing an activation, stops your entire force.  In Rebels and Patriots you simply move on the to next unit.

Missed activations doomed your redcoats, since they couldn't fire after any one unit failed activation.

Offline doctorphalanx

• Bookworm
    • doctorphalanx
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2020, 04:39:36 PM »
By the time of Culloden the Jacobite army were essentially line infantry equipped with muskets and for R&P I would rate them as Line Infantry, Aggressive. I don’t personally think the Natives category fits very well.

For earlier times I would use PL and, obviously, rate the Scots as Clansmen. If you don’t like the shift of initiative on a failed activation in PL for mid-18thC just adopt the way it’s done in RAP.

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2020, 06:37:11 AM »
Thanks for sharing your campaign and pictures. I'd never thought of doing the 45 with PL or to be honest with R&P but you've given me something to consider.

I like using R&P and have taken it away from its core setting to use in 19thC Italy, Denmark and France. I think it's flexible enough to cope with most things given it's broad muskets to rifles timescale.

From what I've read here the difference in activation between the two set perhaps models some of the very poor generalship either side experienced during the 45 where battles were not so much won by one side as lost by the other!

Regardless of rule sets it's good to see the campaign being played and enjoyed with nice figures.

What next??

Offline Bryanbowdell

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2020, 11:25:31 PM »

Regardless of rule sets it's good to see the campaign being played and enjoyed with nice figures.

What next??

Maybe a Napoleonic campaign using R+P, it was the clear lack of French troops that let me down!!