Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:25:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Wagon Count (100 reached)  (Read 2924 times)

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Wagon Count (100 reached)
« on: November 19, 2019, 02:38:18 AM »
Nothing to see here but I figured since there has not been a post in a few days, what the heck. 

I've placed a couple of orders over the last months but didn't keep careful track of the impact on the total number of wagons and other wheeled conveyances I've acquired for my absurdly large - in 15 mm - collection of Old West stuff.  I knew I'd crossed beyond 80 but was a little surprised the total has reached 98!  Shazohwee!   

I added another Peter Pig destroyed wagon and several of their WWI and WWII wagons that will be converted into old west, can use some as carriages no one else makes - closest being Bluemoon's doctor's buggy.  These will be more like broughams.  Also bought some more Bluemoon wagons.  Some of the conversions will be for hearses and Tumbleweed Wagons (prisoners).  A few will also convert to Mud Wagons.

Not quite cheating but they are wheeled would be the two gatlings on wheeled carriages and their two limbers.  There is also a smattering of carts in the mix.

Getting that close to 100 tempts me to order two more just to hit that number.  Silly?  Maybe.  But once all painted and in the towns, raise your hand if you'll be mildly envious?!   lol

And I can't for the life of me remember if the two Peter Pig covered wagons are for army supply or wagon trains.  I guess I'll trundle off and check. 

I must call buying done, I must, I must, I really, really must.   ;)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 11:36:40 PM by FifteensAway »

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Wagon Count
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2019, 03:28:13 AM »
I must call buying done, I must, I must, I really, really must.   ;)

You will probably order the last two wagons tonight...  lol
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2019, 09:15:16 AM »
That’s a LOT of bloody wagons!

We use about 7-8 in our games and very often, it can get hellishly congested (due to random nature of wagon movements and arrivals).  I know that at double our number, the streets would be gridlocked.

What are you planning for so many wagons and do you have a group photo?

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2019, 03:07:01 AM »
Syrinx, I almost did order two more wagons the night I posted.  Almost.   lol

And, Digits, despite no fruit flies and no road apples, yet, Vulture Creek is one of my favorite Old West towns out there - at least the modeled versions.  However, your town is a little smaller than what I have planned, in a relative sense.

First, there is Anachronism, the county seat of (not yet revealed! still have to wait for the courthouse to be completed and put on display.  recent progress  ;)) County. This town will be the railhead heading west, the jumping off place for the wagon trains also heading west though not the same route as the railroad train, the supply trains of wagons heading into the southwest, think Apacheria.  It will also be a river port with gambling river boats and a bit more (Camp Far West river boat perhaps?) and the county seat - you need a county seat to have multiple hangings on the same day, at least judge sanctioned hangings.  It will also have well stocked banks.  And it will be the cow town where the drovers drive their herds to the stock yards for loading onto stock cars to ship back east.  That takes a few score buildings to be properly represented on the table.  There will be a couple of stage coach companies serving the town (have four of the Concord coaches already and, as mentioned above, some mud wagons eventually - the Rolls Royce versus the Chevy).  Okay maybe numerous score buildings with the upscale business district, a China town area, a run down area, the saloon district - likely better stocked than the banks (unless it is a cold winter in Denver, see below), and that area where ladies ply their trades when gentlemen wish to Fly the Eagle.  A very busy town.  And to make it look right there will need to be quite a few wagons, including manure wagons cleaning up after all those horses and some oxen, too!  Dozens and dozens of them and lots and lots of draft animals.  And some water wagons to keep the dust down.  Not much can be done about the smells unfortunately but who notices when that is your everyday reality? :o Freight wagons, buckboards, buggies.  Oh, and the hearses for those inevitable days when it is time to "feed the earth".

The US Army gets its share of supply wagons in addition to the gatlings and their limbers and more.  A minimum of 8 supply wagons.

And since there will be range wars, there are two chuck wagons.

The wagon trains, one horse pulled, the other oxen pulled, provide an even dozen wagons.  Maybe plus two?

Then there is Lodgepole Creek, the town trying to survive on the edge of the Lakota lands that also happens to be at or near the rail head as it pushes west (a few dozen pieces of rolling stock and locomotives, by the way).  That second town will need plenty of wagons to feel authentic to me.

And then comes Alkali Wells, the adobe dominated town jostling with those fierce Apache and with a fair population of Spanish and Mexicans and the like.  Another place in need of wagons.

And what about the Comancheros and gun runners?  More wagons.

And the sheep herders, that other range war option, will have a few carts.

Well to remember that my ultimate goal is to put on a game to be entitled:

THE WHOLE WILDER WEST, ALL AT ONCE.

Imagine a game with rustling, bank robberies, train robberies, stage coach robberies, Indian raids, cavalry to the rescue, posses chasing bad guys, shoot outs in boxed canyons, cavalry fighting a large Indian battle, temperance union marches causing a ruckus, a fight between rival factions at the gate to the cemetery when two poor deceased souls are scheduled to be buried at the same time.  And not to forget the doctrinal disputes turned violent between the various denominations of worship.  A bit wilder than the Old West really was.  But perhaps a heck of a lot more fun.  It is devoutly to be wished so.

Which means lots and lots of native folk, both belligerent and not, and plenty of army folk both mounted and ground pounders - and some with that hair of a different sort dubbed Buffalo Soldiers, with plenty of freed men and women to show the west was not a whitewashed society despite TV and movies.  And, of course, there has to be a fort in the mix, Fort Courage of F troop being an essential point of inspiration as are Paint Your Wagon and Hallelujah Trail.  Dare we add Blazing Saddles to the list?  Um, yup. Humor improves all gaming experiences in my opinion.

And in way of something along the lines of a "group photo" may I refer you to here?: https://whiskeyhills.blogspot.com   A little searching will reveal some wagons grouped up.

If you choose to visit, let me know what you think.  Or, if you are going to refer me to the guys in white outfits with those funny coats that buckle in the back, can I get some advance warning!?   o_o
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 06:15:56 AM by FifteensAway »

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2019, 10:04:09 AM »
Ok I took a look.  Tbh I’m not a blog fan, I prefer to see stuff on boards like these. 

A critical eye says your pictures are a little dark which means I can’t bask in the spectacle of so many minis!

I love the large collection of cavalry, I love the large herd of buffalo, I applaud your ambition, 100 wagons certInly doesn’t sound out of proportion to the rest of your project ..........  but WTF???!!!!!!   You are stark raving bonkers! Lol. In a nice way!

VERY AMBITIOUS!  If you pull it off, it would look amazing.  But PLEASE put it up here on the boards...... with blogs I feel it’s out of sight, it would be cool here.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2019, 11:33:28 AM »
Digits, thanks for taking a look.  I expect photos here but once there is more paint on them.  The blog is more for progress shots - and also for a longer story than it seems appropriate here.  To be fair to me, quite a number of posters here on LAF maintain blogs with considerable followings.

But just to please you, here is a shot of some of the trains further along - though in an ACW game.  They are not finished yet.  And I can reveal the name of my railroad: T&MWRR - Tentacle & Monopoly Western Railroad.  A bit of a tug at the history of railroads in the Old West and a homage to a departed gaming friend whose initials were TM.  Track pieces need painting, too.

More photos as time - and progress - permits.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 11:41:08 AM by FifteensAway »

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2019, 04:04:19 PM »
That’s better, much clearer picture.  Ok now I start to get an idea of scale....you are still bonkers.

I see why people use them, I just suppose I’m used to seeing and putting  WIP shots in project logs. 

Offline zippyfusenet

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2019, 08:04:44 PM »
The longest train that ever I saw was a hundred wagons long,
And the only girl I ever did love was with that train and gone!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWNQCH5Aq0c
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 08:09:06 PM by zippyfusenet »
You'll shoot your eye out, kid!

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2019, 01:42:39 AM »
Not sure I'm all that taken with the song but the posted lyrics have certainly inspired an element to add to my penultimate western game - a lovelorn sodbuster whose love headed west and he's decided to try and find her.  Of course, he will be sorely tested by every grave and unburied skeleton he encounters along the way, maybe even get a bit deranged along the way.   ;)  And that suggests another bit, the lass from Hang 'Em High waiting to find that man.   lol

Offline zippyfusenet

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2019, 02:02:46 AM »
More theme music. Don't play it, you prolly won't like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crsPNwui7bA

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2019, 03:47:27 AM »
Sorting out my ACW collection - and beyond reason placing an order for some last items to round out the two armies (yup, armies) - and discovered I have an extra wagon lurking there, in need of a wheel but I've recently laid in a supply of those for the Old West shindig so not a problem.  That gets me to 99.  One more to go to fill up to the century mark!  Madness. ;D

(that ACW collection has enough infantry regiments to have at least two corps infantry per side with a brigade of cavalry per division plus one artillery battery per brigade, multiple brigades per division of infantry, plenty of generals, a large quantity of limbers with a decent dose of caissons, and adequate numbers of casualty figures - and some more besides, like wagons and contraband - the human kind.)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 03:50:48 AM by FifteensAway »

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Re: Wagon Count (100 reached)
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2020, 11:38:41 PM »
Received an order from Angel Barracks today that included their Thrall Cart which I will be converting to a Tumble Weed wagon (prison wagon).  Will just need to replace the solid wheels with spoked wheels.

And that makes 100 various and sundry wheeled conveyances in my Old West collection! 

Overkill?  Probably. 

Do I care?  Not a wit. 

Having too much fun!  lol

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2020, 03:44:46 AM »
Your going to need a bigger table for all those wagons...

Offline Bravo Six

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2020, 04:23:17 PM »
Your going to need a bigger table for all those wagons...

And a 15mm Major Seth Adams.  ;)

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2020, 01:40:39 AM »
Seth Adams?  Well, there are at least a half dozen horse drawn wagons for one train and another half dozen ox drawn wagons for another train, maybe an additional wagon for each of those trains.