Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:13:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686458
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Perry HYW plastics for Lion Rampant  (Read 5014 times)

Offline joekano

• Mastermind
    • My blog: Major Thomas Foolery
Re: Perry HYW plastics for Lion Rampant
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2019, 10:28:12 PM »
They look fantastic!
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here, this is the war room." -President Merkin Muffley
http://majorthomasfoolery.blogspot.com/

Offline TacticalPainter

• Mad Scientist
    • The Tactical Painter
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2019, 06:00:56 AM »
Pretty cool stuff... will you add shields to your Sergents? Did they carry one at the time?

To be honest I’m no expert on the armour of the period so I’m taking my guidance from the Perry’s and the odd Osprey book. The Perry set doesn’t include shields and my understanding is these were not much used at the time, so I don’t have any plans to add them. Others more knowledgeable here might chime in and put us right!

Offline Griefbringer

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2019, 07:43:22 AM »
The Perry set doesn’t include shields

Actually, the Perry cavalry set does contain two shields per rider sprue - they are those two semi-rectangular items close to the centre of the sprue.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2019, 08:08:37 AM »
To be honest I’m no expert on the armour of the period so I’m taking my guidance from the Perry’s and the odd Osprey book. The Perry set doesn’t include shields and my understanding is these were not much used at the time, so I don’t have any plans to add them. Others more knowledgeable here might chime in and put us right!

Certainly men at arms equipped with the lower grade of armours would have still carried shields, especially if they knew they would be cantering then charging into an 'arrow storm'. Some armours of the time may not have even undergone being 'blued' in the kiln ie hardened/tempered, though these would probably have been in a minority.

Tempering 'high end' armour was done first by heating the steel to a certain temperature (armourers would have gauged this by the colour of the metal in the furnace) then quenched in water, heated up again to a certain temperature (again the temperature was gauged by eye) then quenched again. The manner in which I have described this process might make it sound simple but it was far from that. The armourer depended on a lifetime of skill to get this process right. One mistake and all the hard work was in vain.

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2019, 08:24:19 AM »
like what you did
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2019, 06:19:31 AM »
Great stuff, particularly like your gambersons.

As for shields, they are still listed as required equipment in the French ordanances,  I suspect still were used in a cavalry charge against cavalry and pesky archers, although falling out of favour by Verneuil, particularly by the wealthier class of Nobles.

I like them as I can add more heraldry to my knights and foot.

Cheers
Matt
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 12:55:46 PM by bluewillow »

Offline Griefbringer

• Scientist
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2019, 12:01:30 PM »
Actually, the Perry cavalry set does contain two shields per rider sprue - they are those two semi-rectangular items close to the centre of the sprue.

And to complement my previous comment, I would like to add that each of the two foot men-at-arms sprues contains a shield, too.

Offline twicethecaffeine

• Bookworm
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2019, 08:19:17 PM »
Absolutely lovely work

Offline Bluenotebooks

• Student
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2019, 09:18:03 AM »
Awesome painting.  I'm just getting in the hobby and bought some 40k models.  Seeing all the lovely historic models has me thinking I'll move to a historic range next.  My wife will game with me so I can pretty much pick any game / period.  Is Lion Rampant expensive to get started with?  Does one figure represent one person?

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2019, 10:13:55 AM »
@Bluenotebooks

Lion Rampant is very cheap to get into especially if you are used to 40K prices.

The full price of the Lion Rampant Rulebook is £12.99 and you can often get it for less.
The rulebook contains all of the army lists that you will need - 40 different armies that you can also customise.
Add a dozen D6 and off you go.

Units are represented by 6 or 12 figures. Most starter armies have 5 to 8 units.
However the game also works with multiple players and multiple armies representing retinues from various nobles.

The cheapest period to do is 1415 to 1432 i.e. Agincourt to Orleans.
You can do an English Army for Agincourt out of one box of Perry plastic infantry figures which is £20.
https://www.perry-miniatures.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_62&products_id=3217&osCsid=9ml6v9u6ms7e9sgpa3r498c6o2

You can do a good French Army out of one box infantry and one box cavalry, which is total of £40.
https://www.perry-miniatures.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_62&products_id=3414&osCsid=9ml6v9u6ms7e9sgpa3r498c6o2
https://www.perry-miniatures.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_62&products_id=3967&osCsid=9ml6v9u6ms7e9sgpa3r498c6o2

You can also do Crusades and WOTR periods in plastics.
There are many other options in metal with beautiful figures from loads of manufacturers.

Best Regards

Mick

« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 10:35:27 AM by Mick_in_Switzerland »

Offline Bluenotebooks

• Student
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2019, 05:03:15 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I'm going to look into it further.