Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:26:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686614
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Black Seas Blood and Plunder  (Read 731 times)

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
Black Seas Blood and Plunder
« on: November 19, 2019, 10:17:07 AM »
We played this scenario from the rulebook last night, slightly adapted. As written, there are two fleets of 3 brigs competing to capture treasure from 3 large merchants, but I had 3 players last night, so they each had 2 brigs, and I ran the merchants. I scattered 3 rain squalls on the table to provide some cover for ships to hide in. A terrific game; the privateers started fighting amongst themselves early on and I thought two of the merchants might get away, but no, they were caught and boarded late on. Final tally was one player had 4 treasure (the max her two brigs could carry), one had 2, and one had one (he had another one but it went down with his other ship when it was sunk). The merchantmen had one treasure left, and one ship which had struck. You can certainly pick many holes in the realism of these rules, but four players had an absolute blast for two hours; they give a great game.

Offline DeRuyter

• Bookworm
Re: Black Seas Blood and Plunder
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2019, 06:40:10 PM »
Sounds like a fun scenario. I picked up the starter set and played a demo game over the weekend (at Fall In). I think it would be easy to add in some of the advanced rules even with new players to add in some sailing realism. That's coming from an age of sail gronard and sailor.  :)

Top of mind would be the Advanced wind rule, fires, and the Fire as she bears rule. There are certainly tweaks one could house rule (only after playing RAW first ofc). Changing the in the wind angle to 65 degrees would be an example. Now off to build some ships!

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
Re: Black Seas Blood and Plunder
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2019, 09:54:33 PM »
Definitely use the advanced wind rules. Much more realistic, no more complex.