Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:06:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: British spine protection  (Read 3004 times)

Offline Griefbringer

• Scientist
Re: British spine protection
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2019, 12:50:42 PM »
Certainly you would not expect an educated gentleman of proper breeding to distract himself with all sorts of mundane trivialities, that could be prefectly well handled by a more servile person. Thus unburdened he can focus his superior intellectual resources at duties of importance.

Also, leaving items for private purchase is not to be always taken as an indication of thriftiness on behalf of the crown. Commissioned gentleman of proper education should be trusted to pick the items of equipment and uniform most suited for him to carry out his appointed duties. However, in the case of other ranks, lacking sufficient breeding and judgement, it may be necessary for the crown to exert closer control and issue items directly.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2019, 01:50:26 PM »
Certainly you would not expect an educated gentleman of proper breeding to distract himself with all sorts of mundane trivialities, that could be prefectly well handled by a more servile person. Thus unburdened he can focus his superior intellectual resources at duties of importance.

Also, leaving items for private purchase is not to be always taken as an indication of thriftiness on behalf of the crown. Commissioned gentleman of proper education should be trusted to pick the items of equipment and uniform most suited for him to carry out his appointed duties. However, in the case of other ranks, lacking sufficient breeding and judgement, it may be necessary for the crown to exert closer control and issue items directly.

Brilliant! I imagine it reads just like a military manual (possibly from a Flashy novel)  lol

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2019, 04:00:27 AM »
Certainly you would not expect an educated gentleman of proper breeding to distract himself with all sorts of mundane trivialities, that could be perfectly well handled by a more servile person. Thus unburdened he can focus his superior intellectual resources at duties of importance.

I'm going to use this quote in the next Cthulhu RPG adventure I run. The dilettantes will love it.
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2019, 01:01:07 PM »
I'm going to use this quote in the next Cthulhu RPG adventure I run. The dilettantes will love it.

lol lol

I may have to do the same.
It is rather good, old chap.
 :D

Offline Griefbringer

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2019, 08:10:12 AM »

I would be most honoured to be thus quoted to the said gentleman adventurers.

Certainly a person dedicating his intellectual assets to the noble pursuit of forbidden knowledge should not be unnecessarily burdened by tasks of mundane and trivial nature, that could be perfectly well carried out by a properly trained butler or servant. Thus freed from such vulgar responsibilities, a scholar of the unknown can focus his full mental assets most productively, allowing him to concentrate on calculating non-euclidean geometries, translating ancient manuscripts penned by mad Arabs, or deciphering archeological artefacts carved by non-human hands.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2019, 09:09:27 AM »
 lol lol

Offline Griefbringer

• Scientist
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2019, 10:10:30 AM »
Unfortunately, it is hard to get good servants these days.

Offline Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2019, 10:33:21 AM »
Depending on the death/insanity rate of said campaign, butlers and servants could also serve as interesting backup characters.