Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:00:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686454
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Gallowglass, Pike, Shot and Kern.  (Read 2046 times)

Offline Eoin OCnaimhsi

• Librarian
Gallowglass, Pike, Shot and Kern.
« on: November 21, 2019, 11:36:25 AM »
Greetings all,

Like my ancestors before me I learned that Pike and Shot are a necessity. Like them I didnt implement them conventionally. My pikemen are rough and rugged, just as they were. 

Seriously though, as this is my first historical miniature project I am happy with the results. This is the base of what I hope will be a much larger force including many more units of all types, including redshanks and targeteers(thx to OB for educating me on that item). I eventually intend to put together an English force to oppose them and I have even written my own rudimentary ruleset for them. I have not stuck with a particular conflict or date, but rather a broad sweep of the period.

Suggestions advice etc very much welcome.

Offline Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Gallowglass, Pike, Shot and Kern.
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2019, 11:41:36 AM »
Nice work on those minis  :)

Online v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2019, 01:35:14 PM »
Lovely work!
Xander
Army painters thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=56540.msg671536#new
WinterApoc thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=50815.0

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2019, 01:44:11 PM »
Really nice and good use of the Portuguese conquistadors as pikemen, cracking idea. If not seen before antediluvian also have kern and gallowglass which can add to the rising :)

Crusader miniatures have a pack of Kern in their 100 years war range too

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2019, 01:50:20 PM »
Love 'em  8) 8) 8)

Offline flags_of_war

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Flags of War
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2019, 03:39:13 PM »
Fantastic :)

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2019, 03:58:21 PM »
Very nicely done!

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2019, 05:44:56 PM »
Great stuff

Offline Belisarius

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Yahoo groups Ulster Wargames Society
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2019, 11:30:39 PM »
Welcome aboard EoC , lovely figures , you’ve been busy . It’s nice to see plenty of saffron tunics on the table . We’ve enjoyed the Pikemans Lament rules , these figures look ideal for them .

Offline Eoin OCnaimhsi

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2019, 05:11:09 PM »
Thanks very much all for the comments.

@Lowtardog, Yes I have seen the Antideluvian stuff, very nice and I might be getting a few under the tree or in the stocking next month  ;)

@ Belisarius, Thx very much. I have not seen Pikemans Lament, although have seen it referenced on various blogs and tabletop reports.
It seems to be the go to ruleset for the period. It was a pleasant surprise when I started the project to discover there were other very skilled people painting, converting and gaming with Irish of the period. I suppose the Irish campaigns are the only real ones for the Tudor period. All very fascinating stuff. It was a passage I read from the Howth Annals of the early 16th Century which got me interested in the period. It mentioned the first confirmed death from a firearm in Ireland. It was during a battle between two Gaelic Kings and the poor unfortunate soldier was bashed to death with the gun! Im not sure if that is a verified historic source but it certainly drew my interest!

Offline Baron von Wreckedoften

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2019, 01:05:40 PM »
I suppose the Irish campaigns are the only real ones for the Tudor period.

Not sure what you mean here.  There were several wars against the Scots and French under Henry VIII and, under Elizabeth, there were attacks on Spanish colonies in the Caribbean and support for the Dutch and French against the Spanish in Europe.  The Irish campaigns were probably the most prolonged, but by no means unique (if that was what you meant).

It was a passage I read from the Howth Annals of the early 16th Century which got me interested in the period. It mentioned the first confirmed death from a firearm in Ireland. It was during a battle between two Gaelic Kings and the poor unfortunate soldier was bashed to death with the gun! Im not sure if that is a verified historic source but it certainly drew my interest!

As I often say to my English friends, never underestimate our ability to turn even the most sophisticated modern weapon into a club.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 01:08:05 PM by Baron von Wreckedoften »
No plan survives first contact with the dice.

Offline Eoin OCnaimhsi

• Librarian
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2019, 02:27:39 PM »
Fair point, I had forgotten about the Caribbean and Scotland.

I am planning an English force too. I am not too pushed on being specific and want a force with elements from 1500 until 1610. I have had a look around and there are a few manufacturers with nice stuff. Foundry and The Assault Group being the primary ones. Others do Reivers and militia suitable too.

From what I have read there were still Longbowmen and Billmen in smaller and smaller numbers, Demi Lancers, Border Reivers mounted and foot, Pike both armoured and unarmoured as well as Arqebusiers and Calivermen, along with Irish Kern and some "Queens Gallowglass".

Also the London trained bands. These were regiments raised in London? Were they sent to Ireland? Also there were bands from other counties? There are many fine blogs I follow detailing composition of English armies so that wont be a problem. It is estimating the number of garrison troops who were bow and bill armed, or numbera of Reivers which requires a bit of research.

Offline Gaz

• Student
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2019, 07:43:51 PM »
Nice work. The Portuguese worked out well, I'll definitely invest in some of these when I eventually get to my long promised 16th century project.....

Offline Eoin OCnaimhsi

• Librarian
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2019, 05:09:13 PM »
Thanks Gaz. Yes I think the Portugese are perfect for the job. Looking at getting some swords and other accessories to hide the cracks in my sculpting ability for the remaining ones.

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2019, 06:59:20 PM »
Lovely painting.
I like them a lot.
Semper Fi, Mac