Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:36:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686647
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 788
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Showdown at McGinty Flats  (Read 4610 times)

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Re: Showdown at McGinty Flats
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2019, 01:37:32 AM »
"Pure "Hollywood" ..."  That thar be as good a reason as any other.   ;)  That Mr. Sellack packs quite the caliber of shootin' iron based on that shell by his side!  :o   Them longhorns look the part and never mind the uni-pose - sometimes it just works out that way.   8)

Offline Ramirez Noname

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2019, 07:36:27 AM »
That Mr. Sellack packs quite the caliber of shootin' iron based on that shell by his side!  :o

Pair of "Buffalo Pistols" - sometimes the visual clues have to be very obvious  lol

Them longhorns look the part and never mind the uni-pose - sometimes it just works out that way.   8)

They are the Dixon ones - nice models, but only the running pose. I painted them years ago for a "Legends of the Old West scenario", but we didn't get round to playing it. It was good to get them out of the cabinet and onto the table. Although there was only 12 models I had told the players that there was at least 30+ cows. But some characters still tried to shoot them to stop the stampede.

Skinner (Of the Sheriff's posse), positioned himself on the roof of the jail and opened fire on the stampede ...

Photo courtesy of Match, playing Jack Mason Bounty Hunter.

RMZ

Offline Ramirez Noname

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2019, 08:07:18 AM »
Great looking game! Glad everyone had fun.

Thank you - always a good game with loads of action.

RMZ

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2019, 11:37:24 PM »
Great looking town, I like the way you've tied the building bases into the baseboard, it makes a huge difference in my opinion.

The Dixon longhorns look fantastic, very nicely painted as well, the sculpts not much good in the corral but once they start to run, then just look out, they are the business. I have some warbase ones, good in the corral but they can't run at all. You pays your money etc ;)

It's good to see some western action it's been too quiet arround here.

You have to have cactus, I think it's in the LAF regulations or something, do you mind me asking where yours came from, mine are DAS and they look it I'm sorry to say.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2019, 05:21:43 AM »
Vagabond, I expect you to post a complete list of LAF Western Town regulations.  A Complete List, sir.

I agree that the building bases blended to the baseboard adds hugely to the visual unity of the whole.

I have cacti, too, scores of them awaiting paint, mainly from Stone Mountain and Peter Pig - and in 15 mm but could work as small cacti in larger scales.  Mine, however, are reserved for my southwest town rather than my cow town (and County Seat - county seat being the seat of government for a municipality referred to as a county but without any nobility.  Those folk get shot too easy out west, you know, them Counts.).  Can't say there aren't any there but I don't recollect ever seeing - or hearing about - cacti in Kansas (Abilene, Wichita, Dodge City all being in Kansas).

Only 12 cattle?  I had to go back and count because it seemed like more.  Makes me want to get mine painted - and the newer ones assembled and ready for painting.  Peter Pig recently released long horns with separate heads which means they can be glued on at slightly different angles to add a little variety.  I have 98 of them critters to paint up, 48 already primed and the 50 bought from Peter Pig - 2 of the latter destined for unknown purposes, maybe turn them into dead longhorns.  Now if I can just get a good 15 mm longhorn skull - and a buffalo skull, too, for that matter!

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2019, 10:57:38 AM »
Good grief, I've heard of button counters but now we've become cow counters  lol and on that note there were 12 of them in the corral but only 10 running along the street. I didn't see any barbecuing going on!

LAF Western Town regulation 15a states quite clearly that there will always be cows in a western town, and 15b  states they have to be texas longhorns, painted with that cool mottled browney, redish tan colour.. no other cows are admissible.

The one refering to cactus is 5a, 5b and 5c.
5a There will always be cactus. 5b While it is not obligatory for them to be the 3 pointy finger ones (whoes name escapes me) but it is highly desirable.  5c  states that cactus have to be purchased at a high cost but that for poor wargamers it is permissible to make them from DAS clay, but only if you use flock so that no one is under the illusion that you bought them.

Regulation 9b states the ground texture shall always represent desert, grass is very undesirable as there was none in the desert regions of Spain where all true westerns were filmed, I belive the is a disputed regulation about spaghetti but I can't remember it offhand..

I hope that clarifies the situation. Although maybe I should just refer you to 1a  all Western Towns are set in the SW except when they're not. ;)

Offline Ramirez Noname

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2019, 11:27:47 AM »
Thanks Vagabond,

Great looking town, I like the way you've tied the building bases into the baseboard, it makes a huge difference in my opinion.

... ah, the bases ... they have sort of become a bit of an obsession  lol Because I run my Westerns in dry, arid cactus infested areas and also wooded areas, I've made a lot of bases - some use the 4Ground units, others are scratchbuilt. This allows some variation in the building heights and creates a more random appearance. Whilst I know MDF buildings aren't everybody's cup of tea, I enjoy working on them and converting them to provide variety. Great Escape Games and Colonel Bills have both been very helpfull in supply sizeable quantities of basic buildings.

The bases of shame -

... and that's not all of 'em ...

The Dixon longhorns look fantastic, very nicely painted as well, the sculpts not much good in the corral but once they start to run, then just look out, they are the business. I have some warbase ones, good in the corral but they can't run at all. You pays your money etc ;)

I'll have to check out the Warbases ones - I have used there draught horses for the stage coach (both standing and running - an idea I grabbed from your blog ... :) )

You have to have cactus, I think it's in the LAF regulations or something, do you mind me asking where yours came from, mine are DAS and they look it I'm sorry to say.

Completely agree about the obligatory cactus requirement  ;) mine are from Shell Hole Miniatures - they are designed for their 20mm Mexican range, but I think they work well in 28mm. They aren't in their catalogue at the moment because the models are being repaired.

RMZ
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 12:18:50 PM by Ramirez Noname »

Offline Ramirez Noname

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2019, 11:31:45 AM »
Thanks 15s,

Only 12 cattle?  I had to go back and count because it seemed like more.  Makes me want to get mine painted - and the newer ones assembled and ready for painting.  Peter Pig recently released long horns with separate heads which means they can be glued on at slightly different angles to add a little variety.  I have 98 of them critters to paint up, 48 already primed and the 50 bought from Peter Pig - 2 of the latter destined for unknown purposes, maybe turn them into dead longhorns.  Now if I can just get a good 15 mm longhorn skull - and a buffalo skull, too, for that matter!

Looking forward to seeing your herd painted and on the table - they look really impressive  :)

Luckily enough, Dixon also produce Longhorn skulls, too. Couldn't you discuss a commission for some from Peter Pig ?

RMZ
RMZ

Offline Ramirez Noname

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2019, 11:38:09 AM »
Good grief, I've heard of button counters but now we've become cow counters  lol and on that note there were 12 of them in the corral but only 10 running along the street. I didn't see any barbecuing going on!

I ain't got no dead longhorn models, either ... and yes, my gaming mates ribbed me no end about it  lol

And the reason there is only 10 in the street is because the posses managed to shoot a few, until the players realised it caused the stampede to move away from the gun fire ... and into the Stagecoach the Marshal and Sheriff were to trying to protect and get out of town.

LAF Western Town regulation 15a states quite clearly that there will always be cows in a western town, and 15b  states they have to be texas longhorns, painted with that cool mottled browney, redish tan colour.. no other cows are admissible.

The one refering to cactus is 5a, 5b and 5c.
5a There will always be cactus. 5b While it is not obligatory for them to be the 3 pointy finger ones (whoes name escapes me) but it is highly desirable.  5c  states that cactus have to be purchased at a high cost but that for poor wargamers it is permissible to make them from DAS clay, but only if you use flock so that no one is under the illusion that you bought them.

Regulation 9b states the ground texture shall always represent desert, grass is very undesirable as there was none in the desert regions of Spain where all true westerns were filmed, I belive the is a disputed regulation about spaghetti but I can't remember it offhand..

I hope that clarifies the situation. Although maybe I should just refer you to 1a  all Western Towns are set in the SW except when they're not. ;)

Thank goodness for that - I was a bit concerned that I had misinterpreted the Forum rules  lol lol

RMZ
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 12:42:25 PM by Ramirez Noname »

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2019, 02:14:37 PM »
Oh, dear me.  What will I do with my herd of Herefords?  There was a western movie about that.  What will I do with my herd of Brahmin cattle?  There was a western movie about that.  And, regulations be damned, my black baldies are showing up in my western town!  You forgot regulation 13z - all proper western towns will be afflicted with an infestation of sheep.  Some of the other sheep regulations are inappropriate for a family friendly forum. 

Saguaro.  King of the cacti.

Longhorn and buffalo commissions of the skulls variation would also need to be accompanied by a commission for 15 mm turkey vultures. And maybe some skeletal remains of people with rotting clothing, same for cattle and horses.  I have sourced one dead skeletal man and dead skeletal horse from a friend big into fantasy figures, nearly 3,000 painted 15mm figures in his collection with an unknown number of 25 mm fantasy figures.  The folks buried up to their neck near an ant hill just require some careful surgery on a sacrificial figure - preferably bald as a billiard ball.  (Jeremiah Johnson be the name of that movie.)

Regulation PM (primus maximus) states all western games must be influenced by Hollywood, spaghetti flavored or otherwise. 

And John Ford was a poltroon for filming in Monument Valley - that place was a desolate waste in the heyday of Western Folklore that no self-respecting pilgrim would consider settling or even traveling in - unless he saw a spot of color in the rocks. It just looked purty for the cameras.  And was probably the cheapest place he could find to film.

"Throughout the 19th century, white settlers considered the Monument Valley region—like the desert terrain of the Southwest in general—to be hostile and ugly. The first U.S. soldiers to explore the area called it “as desolate and repulsive looking a country as can be imagined,” as Capt. John G. Walker put it in 1849, the year after the area was annexed from Mexico in the Mexican-American War. “As far as the eye can reach...is a mass of sand stone hills without any covering or vegetation except a scanty growth of cedar.”"  From here: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/travel/behind-the-scenes-in-monument-valley-4791660/   No offense to the Navajo people, that's just the period historical view of the region by non-natives.

And that is the rest of the story.  Until there is more. 
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 03:00:35 PM by FifteensAway »

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2019, 06:05:16 PM »
Ramirez thanks for the info on the Cactus, I'll have a look for them.

I like the fact that the bases tie into the board colour, but even more that you have different ones for different regions, very classy.  The best western board I ever saw was posted on here a few years ago and he had taken the 4 ground building bases and attached them to a 3 x 3, I think, board and then put the ground texture on so they blended seamlessly into it. The buildings just sat on top of the understructure and were removable.
Of course his town was always the same layout, but it did look brilliant.

15's Away I think you will have to stick toothpicks onto your cattle so at least they think they are longhorns.  lol

Saguaro - thanks.

Re the SW  I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I've travelled some of the roads down there, courtesy  of google street view, and think its magnificent. I was surprised  by the amount of vegetation, the only desserts I've visited are the Sini and the northern most bit of the Sahara and apart from around water there wasn't much growing.
Cheers

Online Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2019, 10:02:16 PM »
Great idea about the separate bases for dry or temperate climates. An inspired idea. :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2019, 11:49:14 PM »
Thanks for sharing about the bases.  I'm planning bases that prevent the 'flat' world look and now I just might have to double up some of my bases.

For the record, I find portions of the desert southwest spectacular visually.  Just in the days of the Old West survival mattered and Monument Valley didn't lend itself to most pilgrims surviving its environment.

I think I'm going to have to create a brand for at least one of my ranches and brand it's cattle appropriately: The Crossed Toothpick brand!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 02:00:16 AM by FifteensAway »

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2019, 11:51:44 PM »
Great idea about the separate bases for dry or temperate climates. An inspired idea. :)

Indeed it is, ya clever bugger!
 :D

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2019, 12:04:44 AM »
Needs more cows!  A stampede needs to look scary......!  ;)

Well painted though, they look cool.  HUGE fan of the Dixon ones.  If I was doing mine again, I MAY be tempted to use Knuckleduster.