Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 07:26:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Railwaymen  (Read 1716 times)

Online Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
Railwaymen
« on: November 27, 2019, 04:09:25 PM »
I'm building a 4Ground loco and cars for my Old West town. Eventually a station as well. What 28mm figures are available for driver, stoker, guard etc. and maybe station staff as well?

(Maybe a track-laying gang as well).

Offline Ramirez Noname

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Re: Railwaymen
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2019, 05:28:01 PM »
Foundry produce a Station Agent/ Ticket Collector in their civilian range and North Star produce some (armed) Chinese railway workers in their "Dracula's America" range.

Omen Miniature Scale Figures (based in Calne) used to produce some small, 1/48th locomotive engineers (drivers) but they do not appear to have an active website at present. Their details are here - http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/suppliers/40962-OmenMiniaturesScaleFigures

You could always go for some 3D scans from ModelU https://www.modelu3d.co.uk/ but I don't think they have any US outline, as yet ...

That's all I can think of at the moment.

RMZ

Offline pacarat

• Mad Scientist
    • pacarat.blogspot.com
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2019, 07:24:05 PM »
Brigade games :  BG-AWE012 Western Railroad Workers (5)

http://brigadegames.3dcartstores.com/BG-AWE012_Western_Railroad_Workers

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2019, 11:45:40 PM »
If 1:48 is workable then O scale train figures should work out okay, at least give them a look.

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2019, 11:48:58 PM »

Offline Skyven

• Scientist
  • Wargaming on Skye
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2019, 12:06:49 AM »
Dixon have some bits and pieces LOCO ACCESSORIES AND CREW

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2019, 01:59:11 AM »
Dixon look nice.  Knuckleduster only shows a conductor.

If anyone has need of HO scale Knuckleduster figures, I have a bunch that are too big for my 15 mm setup.  We can work a deal.

Be warned, though, the Knuckleduster figures do not come with bases so you'll need to find a way to base them for gaming. Great for model railroading, however.

Online Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2019, 10:10:32 AM »
Many thanks, everybody. That really helps.   :)

I will get the Foundry and Brigade figures.

I have ordered the Dixon driver, stoker and also the 8 passengers to see if they fit into my passenger car.

As to the O scale Knuckleduster figures, what do they look like up against the 32mm Gunfighters Ball figures?

I will get the O scale conductor from Knuckleduster and they also have these Gandydancers which I assume is an American nickname for track layers?

Offline pacarat

• Mad Scientist
    • pacarat.blogspot.com
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2019, 12:03:28 PM »
Just be cautious with O gauge figs. They can be much bigger than nominal 28-32 mm minis. Knuckleduster has lots of warnings on their site about this...

https://knuckleduster.com/shop/index.php?route=product/category&path=1_78_80#intro
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 12:05:44 PM by pacarat »

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2019, 02:44:28 PM »
Gandydancer is, indeed, an Americanism for track layers.  They were often immigrants, Irish and Chinese being quite common, at least in the western portion of the country from the 1860s and on.  Thankful that in 15 mm there is a nice set of train men from Peter Pig.  No specific track layers but figures that can be used - except I'm not aware of any Chinese track layers.  The so-called 'coolie' hat being a distinctive item of wear. 

Online Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2019, 03:33:15 PM »
pacarat, many thanks for the heads-up.

FifteensAway, thanks for that info, very useful.

Offline S J Donovan

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2019, 11:22:13 PM »
If the figure is O gauge that usually means 1:48 which in turn is generally 1.5 inches tall, a large 28mm figure is 1.25 inches tall or less.

Offline Etranger

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2019, 10:45:31 AM »
Gandydancer is, indeed, an Americanism for track layers.  They were often immigrants, Irish and Chinese being quite common, at least in the western portion of the country from the 1860s and on.  Thankful that in 15 mm there is a nice set of train men from Peter Pig.  No specific track layers but figures that can be used - except I'm not aware of any Chinese track layers.  The so-called 'coolie' hat being a distinctive item of wear.

Peter Pig do  'coolie hats' in their 'separate heads' range, s f it's just a head swap needed, then that's a source.
"It's only a flesh wound...."