Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:54:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 'Indian Run' 1777. AWI game at New Buckenham.  (Read 907 times)

Offline Jabba

• Mad Scientist
    • Jabba's Wargaming
'Indian Run' 1777. AWI game at New Buckenham.
« on: November 29, 2019, 01:25:30 PM »
On Friday night at New Buckenham we had an AWI game. It was a fictitious scenario that saw Washington attempted to deny General Howe's advance guard from crossing the Indian Run river as the Crown forces pushed on toward the capture of Philadelphia. We used our club rules for AWI ,which I will eventually get round to digitising.

I took command of General Grant's brigade which consisted of the 9th, 21st, 38th and 24th foot on the British left flank facing the rebel battalions of General Sullivan across a shallow stretch of river.

To my right were three battalions of Hessians under General von Knyphausen who were making for a plank bridge over the river. Unbeknown to the revolutionaries General Cornwallis was making a flank march to the far right with the Black Watch, a light infantry battalion and a combined grenadier battalion.

My command advanced across the ford towards the waiting rebellious colonials under musket and light artillery fire, before my lead battalions were given the order to level the bayonets and charge!

Unfortunately both units declined to obey and it was only the direct intervention of General Grant that finally saw the fusiliers charge home against the regulars of the 1st Maryland battalion. The 9th however could not get to grips with the stubborn 2nd Maryland battalion and a close quarter musketry duel commenced.

The 1st Maryland broke before the determined charge of the fusiliers who followed up after the routing colonials. This left room for the 24th foot to charge into Sullivan's militia battalion, with the expected result.

In the centre there had been a furious melee as the colonials tried to stop the Hessians from crossing the plank bridge. The arrival of Cornwallis on the colonial flank eased the pressure on the Germans who finally secured their crossing.

At this point the game was called, it was deemed that Washington would rapidly withdraw his remaining forces after a hard fought action.

More on this game on my blog at Jabba's Wargaming

Tony.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Re: 'Indian Run' 1777. AWI game at New Buckenham.
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2019, 03:46:19 PM »
Looks like a good game - and I like that it was hypothetical.  We AWI enthusiasts tend to be too well versed in the historical battles to be surprised.  Many nice touches - the geese, the horseshoers at work, the wagons with draft horses and oxen, the pack horse led by a lass.  The club album showed somebody being hung from a tree - was that actually in this game?  One request, can we get an Order of Battle for both sides of the game?  You list the crown forces but not the patriotic forces. (guess which way I lean  lol)  Is that a pig pen in the background of the first photo, beyond the large field across from the wagons?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 08:20:39 PM by FifteensAway »

Offline Jabba

• Mad Scientist
    • Jabba's Wargaming
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2019, 09:47:43 AM »
Yes it is a pig pen, many a hard fought melee has been fought over it in previous games. The hanged man is in the last photo of this post too.

Order of Battle.

Crown Forces:
Left wing:   Grant's Brigade -  9th, 21st, 24th and 38th Foot. Two 12lb cannons.
Centre:       Von-Knyphausen's Brigade - von-Rall Grenadier Battalion, von-Lossberg fusilier Battalion and von-Knyphausen musketeer Battalion. One 6lb cannon.
Right wing: Cornwallis' Brigade - composite light and Grenadier battalions and 42nd Foot. Two 6lb cannons.

Rebel Forces:
Right wing: Sullivan's Brigade - 1st and 2nd Maryland battalions and a militia battalion. One 6lb cannon.
Left wing:   Lee's Brigade - one each Virginian and Pennsylvania continental battalions and two Pennsylvania militia battalions. One 6lb cannon
Reserve:     Washington's Brigade -  Marine Battalion and one other Pennsylvania continental battalion. Two 6lb cannons.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 10:46:32 AM by Jabba »

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2019, 05:24:07 AM »
Ah, yes, there is the hanged man - now I see it.  And thank you for the order of battle.  Does seem a bit weighted in the British's favor: 10 units to 9, 32# of guns to 24# of guns.  Of course, depends on the objectives of the respective sides.  Again, nice table to feast my eyes on.

Offline Jabba

• Mad Scientist
    • Jabba's Wargaming
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2019, 09:46:56 AM »
The crown forces suffered more casualties than the continentals on the night but succeeded in pushing the continentals back.  This was meant to be a delaying action on the continentals part, definitely weighted toward the British.