Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:01:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686604
  • Total Topics: 118111
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Vietnam novels by Juris Jurjevics  (Read 708 times)

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
    • Corlears Hook Fencibles
Vietnam novels by Juris Jurjevics
« on: February 19, 2020, 07:18:40 PM »
I have recently read two novels about the Vietnam war by the late Juris Jurjevics, who served in Vietnam 1968-69. Both are concerned with US Army cops tasked with solving cases. In Red Flags, the cops are sent into the  Central Highlands to uncover a drug smuggling operation before Tet. In Play the Red Queen, the cops try to stop a Viet Cong assassin in the days before the coup against Diem, when the US troops were advisers.

Both novels are concerned with the pervasive corruption of the Saigon government and forces. Those who have played Fire in the Lake know it as "patronage". Juris maintained the corruption was so pervasive that the VC benefited from it. Rather than capturing US made weapons from ARVN, they were often purchased on the black market.

In any case, he writes well and keeps the story moving, along with a host of interesting facts. One such is that the VC in the Central Highlands paid villagers to capture moles. Why? Released in tunnels, they would dig out and create small air ventilation ducts. 

Full disclosure: I was briefly introduced to Juris before he passed away. My wife is acquainted with his widow. That said, I found both novels fascinating. You won't get platoon sized fights in them. Any fights would best be represented by pulp fiction rules. But if you want to know about the Montagnards or feel the humid air of Saigon, check them out.
And the glorious general led the advance
With a glorious swish of his sword and his lance
And a glorious clank of his tin-plated pants. - Dr. Seuss

My blog: http://corlearshookfencibles.blogspot.com/

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
Re: Vietnam novels by Juris Jurjevics
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2020, 02:37:16 AM »
Interesting, I have to check them out
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline S_P

• Mad Scientist
Re: Vietnam novels by Juris Jurjevics
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2020, 02:03:16 PM »
Will look those up-I'm reading about the cental highlands atm....