Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:12:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686604
  • Total Topics: 118111
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Another Group of Rangers adventures into Shadow Deep  (Read 1537 times)

Gabbi

Another Group of Rangers adventures into Shadow Deep
« on: December 01, 2019, 05:39:00 PM »
Started today (finally! after a false start) a campaign of RoSD with a friend.

My warband is made up of Kaya the ranger accompanied by Duncan the man-at-arms and Amelia the conjuror.
Paintjob is so-so, but two out of three models are reaper bones (they have almost no face) and I am not very in the mood, lately, so I paint in a quite "mechanical" way.

Friend did not his homework so no pic of his warband, for now.

We're sent to investigate the missing of a fellow ranger. The village he was directed to is suspiciously silent, if not for the moaning of walking deads...

After being almost killed by an especially nasty rat, Kaya finds a chest! Smiling at the thought of the magic weapon she could find inside, she opens it, only to find some herbs.

Burning Mark is a quite useful spell. How an explosion could deal damage only to "evil" creatures is beyond Kaya's comprehension, but sure she's glad it works this way :D

Alas, we find the dead body of the missing ranger. He fell to some obscure enemy. We retrieve his magic sword and bury the body. Then we proceed deep in the forest.

To be continued...
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 05:43:25 PM by Gabbi »

Offline TheCaptain

• Librarian
Re: Another Group of Rangers adventures into Shadow Deep
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2019, 05:42:49 PM »
Looks like a fun game. Very nice.

Gabbi

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2019, 08:39:39 PM »
Looks like a fun game. Very nice.
It is. Thanks :)

A couple closer images of a few tokens (and a critter) I've painted for the game.

I've painted a couple "corpse" tokens, and one for the Burning Mark spell.
I'm especially happy with the latter. I'm totally worthless at painting light effects, but this glowing rune looks convincing enough to me.

The rat is here not for the paintjob in itself (quite rushed) but for the look of the base.
I've tried to integrate the sculpted base into the renedra 20mm square with some carefully positioned plasticard bits, trying to "extend" the paving into the base.

Offline gibby64

• Mad Scientist
  • Temple of the West
    • Temple of the West
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2019, 10:35:34 PM »
i like where this is headed!
Owner, Temple of the West
www.TempleWest.co

Gabbi

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2019, 04:30:50 PM »
Thanks!

Played THE INFECTED TREES scenario today. No pics as the game run very smoothly and very fast. We found this way too easy: we started with four spiders on the table (because we successfully made the Track Roll). Killed them very quickly. In the cocoons we found two survivors, two zombies (quickly dispatched), one corpse. No other monster spawned. Cards drawn generated one Web and two Rays of Light. At the end of turn 6 we had burned all trees and saved the two survivors.

Don't know... maybe we were lucky with cards and cocoons, but I see just two cards results that generate additional spiders, and just one at a time. Seems a bit easy to me. I've re-read the whole mission, looking for if I missed something tha would had spawned more monsters, but found nothing...

Anyway, we agreed to play the next mission anyway (the Gnoll one). Hope that would be a bit more challenging :)

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2019, 05:02:52 PM »
I found the bridge crossing mission to be far harder than the infected trees at least.

Gabbi

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2019, 03:59:29 PM »
I found the bridge crossing mission to be far harder than the infected trees at least.
I see. Good to hear, thanks.

Since I've not taken pics of the last game, here is a shot of the main villains :) I've painted for it.
It's a mix of producers and ranges.

Gabbi

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2019, 05:56:03 PM »
Played again. Second mission, first scenario.

We must investigate a beacon tower we have lost contact with. The mission - on paper - is intriguing. As we approach unseen, we must investigate what happened, delaying as much as possible the moment when the gnolls who guard the area will notice us. A stealth mission, then. Not my fav, but I appreciate the novelty.

We approach the area. A handful of gnolls preside over the bridge that crosses the river.

Turn two, friend's ranger misses an attack and the alarm is raised. Goodbye to the stealth approach.

Not without difficulty, we dispatch the gnolls, reach the other side of the river, check a clue then continue the exploration.
All while a vulture crosses the sky undisturbed.

Continue...?

Gabbi

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2019, 05:57:52 PM »
Some comments / thoughts:

This is the third game we play and I must say that I am not very impressed by this game.
The system is roughly the same of Frostgrave, but it does not work as well as in Frostgrave. Monsters are stupid, the high randomness, combined with the uninteresting management of monsters leads to a very random, shallow game, in which you almost never get the impression that your decisions have a real impact on the outcome of the game. It almost feels like watching someone else playing.
I think we'll play this Mission to its end (two scenarios left), but I have to say I'm not very enthusiastic about this game.
Should I still  want to play a cooperative game, I think I'll give a chance to Sellswords and Spellslingers next...