Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 12, 2019, 11:34:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Author Topic: 1:1200 naval - coastal terrain  (Read 101 times)

Offline Wirelizard

• Supporting Adventurer
  • scatterbrained genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
1:1200 naval - coastal terrain
« on: December 02, 2019, 11:42:12 PM »
I've wandered into 1:1200 naval gaming, specifically the coastal gunboat WW2 end of it. Now, naval games can of course be played with nothing more than an ocean-coloured table covering, but I am utterly incapable of not producing scenery so I'm going to do a few sandbanks, some rocky reef bits, and a few feet of modular/semi-modular coastline to decorate one edge of the table.

For the coastline modules, I'm thinking 12" long and either 3" or 4" deep/wide, and probably fairly low, using 1" styrofoam as the base for the landforms.

The image above is a planning graphic I threw together in Inkscape; the left-hand set is 3" wide and the right-hand set is 4". The two black shapes are nominal building footprints, the top one being 1/2" x 1/4" and the bottom square being 1/2" per side.

Because these coastal strips are going to be a) fairly small and b) not actually part of the full-on playing surface (that's the water) I think I'm going to push the detail as much as the minute scale allows. This is assisted by a batch of lovely buildings I just received from Brigade Model's Small Scale Scenery range, which are gorgeous and inspiring.

1/1200 is seriously tiny. 1" = 100 feet, and 1mm = ~4 feet!

A lot of the standard techniques I'm used to for 15mm or 28mm scenery aren't really going to work, or will need modification. According, I've started a little test piece on a random offcut of board, 3"x3".

The walls are strips of craft wood, just under 2mm tall. The nearer, neater hedge is also craft wood, covered in mixed flock. The foreground area is plain ground foam and I think it works for a grazed pasture or mowed/maintained lawn; the rougher field behind is my standard 28mm flock & ground foam mix and works, I think, for scrubby areas.

The rough hedgerows at the back were made from a mix of flock and white glue, then (because I accidentally used a white glue that sometimes dries glossy) covered with another layer of flock after they dried) and while they work for scruffier hedgerows they're messy. May or may not keep using that technique.

The treed area at the back right is just a blob of coarse turf foam mixed liberally with white glue and splatted down. Keeping in mind that 1cm = 40 feet, I think it works for medium-ish trees. For bigger trees en-mass I'm going to experiment with putting a layer of styrofoam or foamcore down first to lift the coarse foam tree crowns up.

Still wondering about making stone walls that can follow the contours of the ground. Styrene strip glued down with superglue, maybe?

Anyone done any detailed microscale terrain? I'd love to see more links, tutorials, or whatever, a lot of the microscale terrain I've found has been fairly plain.