Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:10:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Pzkpfw_Steve's 28mm World War 2 thread  (Read 1847 times)

Offline Pzkpfw_Steve

• Assistant
Pzkpfw_Steve's 28mm World War 2 thread
« on: December 03, 2019, 01:31:47 AM »
*edit*  Instead of posting a new topic for each of my blog posts on my ww2 armies, I'm going to instead put them all here.

I finally got some pictures taken of my World War 2 French Infantry and tanks for Chain of Command. Also some buildings.

French:
https://stepphenthomson.blogspot.com/2019/12/ww2-french-for-chain-of-command.html

Germans:

https://stepphenthomson.blogspot.com/2019/12/world-war-2-germans-for-chain-of-command.html

Japanese:

https://stepphenthomson.blogspot.com/2019/12/more-world-war-2-japanese-type.html

Soviets:

https://stepphenthomson.blogspot.com/2019/12/ww2-earlyish-soviets.html

Cheers Gents!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 12:28:28 AM by Pzkpfw_Steve »

Offline Hang Tuah

• Scientist
Re: finally got som pictures taken of my WW2 French
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2019, 04:56:58 AM »

These look absolutely beautiful. Please could you let me know what paints you chose, as well as the technique used to create such magnificence (what inks or washes?).

Offline Pzkpfw_Steve

• Assistant
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2019, 05:51:27 AM »
ok. I'm trying to remember this from memory. 

I used a Folk Art(craft paint) colour called Camel as the tan base colour.  Then i hit it with a sepia wash. I cover the whole model.  the Light shade wash from Army painter is probably pretty close for the wash.   I used GW Knarloc green(original base green) with the Original GW green wash. 

The   Panhard 178s were painted earlier this year, about 8 years after the Hotchkiss 39s.  same basic technique, but i replicated the green With ordic olive from Privateer press, and a combination of GW Biel-Tan green and Athonian camoshade, 1:1 ratio.  i think you could probably use an army painter green. I'm pretty sure if you look online you can find a conversion chart for which  AP green is closest to Knarloc green.  and you can probably substitute army painter military shade mixed with Army Painter green wash.

I then heavily dry brushed the running wheels with something like snakebite leather, and then a bleached bone colour over that.   then i finished them with an AK interactive/Ammo  enamel filter. Brown filter for green I think.  I also grab a bit of 3M scrub pat and some brown-black paint and mark up the edges of the models to look like scratches and knicks etc.

I always start with a white primer.  if you can fined a suitable yellow-tan primer, go for it.  something similar to Vallejo Spray , Bone white, would work. its a wee bit less yellow then the colour i was working with, but its close.

Cheers!

Steve

Hope that helps.

Offline Keith

• Mastermind
    • Small Wars Blog
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2019, 07:11:24 AM »
Wow, very nicely done
An infrequent Blog http://small-wars.com

Offline Pzkpfw_Steve

• Assistant
Re: Pzkpfw_Steve's 28mm World War 2
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2019, 02:14:58 AM »
updated initial post with a blog post of my Germans.  I'm going to post all the links to my WW2 blogs in the initial post. that way I don't have 4 or 5 different threads.

https://stepphenthomson.blogspot.com/2019/12/world-war-2-germans-for-chain-of-command.html

Offline Hang Tuah

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2019, 04:39:27 AM »
ok. I'm trying to remember this from memory. 

I used a Folk Art(craft paint) colour called Camel as the tan base colour.  Then i hit it with a sepia wash. I cover the whole model.  the Light shade wash from Army painter is probably pretty close for the wash.   I used GW Knarloc green(original base green) with the Original GW green wash. 

The   Panhard 178s were painted earlier this year, about 8 years after the Hotchkiss 39s.  same basic technique, but i replicated the green With ordic olive from Privateer press, and a combination of GW Biel-Tan green and Athonian camoshade, 1:1 ratio.  i think you could probably use an army painter green. I'm pretty sure if you look online you can find a conversion chart for which  AP green is closest to Knarloc green.  and you can probably substitute army painter military shade mixed with Army Painter green wash.

I then heavily dry brushed the running wheels with something like snakebite leather, and then a bleached bone colour over that.   then i finished them with an AK interactive/Ammo  enamel filter. Brown filter for green I think.  I also grab a bit of 3M scrub pat and some brown-black paint and mark up the edges of the models to look like scratches and knicks etc.

I always start with a white primer.  if you can fined a suitable yellow-tan primer, go for it.  something similar to Vallejo Spray , Bone white, would work. its a wee bit less yellow then the colour i was working with, but its close.

Cheers!

Steve

Hope that helps.

Thank you ever so much! A lot more detailed than I think, though sadly the paints are not ones I am familiar with. But as you have rightly pointed out, the internet is a wonderful thing and comparison charts are to be easily found.

What's your next early war project, if you don't mind my asking?

Offline Pzkpfw_Steve

• Assistant
Re: Pzkpfw_Steve's 28mm World War 2
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2019, 06:58:06 AM »
well, If you check the links above I have posted my Early War Germans.  I'm also going to be posting in the next week or 2 pictures of  1939 Soviets and Japanese. Neither are actually the right models for 1939, but when i bought the figures,  no Soviets in the early helmets, nor Temperate Japanese were available.  i only have the Infantry done.  I'm working on armour, though i have not been able to buy it all yet. Being unemployed tends to cause those sorts of issues. :(

Offline FlyXwire

• Scientist
Re: Pzkpfw_Steve's 28mm World War 2 thread
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2019, 01:50:09 PM »
Great collection Steve, and best of luck with your employment progress!

Offline Hang Tuah

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2019, 03:14:26 PM »
well, If you check the links above I have posted my Early War Germans

Now that's very unfair, considering that the WW2 tag only brought up your French when I first visited your blog.

when i bought the figures,  no Soviets in the early helmets, nor Temperate Japanese were available.

Thankfully things have since improved! Reiver Castings now do proper early war Japanese with shoulder tabs and even winter headgear (not that you would have seen those at Khalkin Gol I think).

Offline Pzkpfw_Steve

• Assistant
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2019, 09:48:34 PM »
Sorry there hang Tuah, the germans are a newer post, written after the french post when up.

Speaking of new posts, i just posted  pics of my WIP Japanese so far:

https://stepphenthomson.blogspot.com/2019/12/more-world-war-2-japanese-type.html

Offline Pzkpfw_Steve

• Assistant
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2019, 12:29:34 AM »
Hi guys, 

I posted picks for Soviets to my blog.  I also talk bit about a future project: USMC  Parachute platoon.

link and teaser pic included in the original post as well as here.

https://stepphenthomson.blogspot.com/2019/12/ww2-earlyish-soviets.html
« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 12:33:21 AM by Pzkpfw_Steve »

Offline Redmist1122

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2019, 06:14:40 AM »
Looks like a pretty complete collection.
Greg P.
Tucson, AZ, USA

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2019, 08:50:24 PM »
Looks great Steve

Cheers
Matt

Offline hallmarkFPS

• Bookworm