Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:03:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690654
  • Total Topics: 118342
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Diablo Jon does Darkest Africa - now with my first Swahili buildings  (Read 69259 times)

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Very nice set up.  Looking forward to seeing how these perform.

Offline bazookajoe

• Librarian
That's such a fantastic table!  I am tempted to get some of that teddy bear fur but I think my figures, with their plastic bases, would not stand up on it.  If I had my time back I would have based everything on metal washers but that was years ago and its too late (and difficult) to change now.

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
That's such a fantastic table!  I am tempted to get some of that teddy bear fur but I think my figures, with their plastic bases, would not stand up on it.  If I had my time back I would have based everything on metal washers but that was years ago and its too late (and difficult) to change now.

Plastic bases shouldn't be a problem all mine are based on plastic bases from Renedra. In fact my Ngoni are all plastic, being converted Perry miniatures plastic Zulus, and stand up no problem.

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
The Burning Desire for Revenge – Part 2

Captain Phil Lander checked his rifle and smiled. For the first time since the battle with the Ngoni he felt a sense of purpose and direction. The death of RSM Stan Dupp had effected him more than he’d care to admit. The two men had soldiered across the British empire together for many years. He had never considered Dupp a friend, after all Dupp had grown up in a London poor house and he on his father’s country estate, one didn’t consider those from the lower classes as friends. Yet since Dupp’s death at the hands of the Ngoni Captain Lander had realised Dupp was in fact one of his closet friends. Only one thing mattered to Phil Lander now finding this native king Mpasa, ending his life and avenging his friend’s death.

Captain Lander looked around at his little command and let out a heavy sigh. Masood, his standard bearer, had attached the union jack upside down, on the pole, again. He made a mental note to have a word, with Masood, after the battle.

Shouting from his new allies alerted Captain Lander to movement, in the brush, on the right flank. “So it begins” Lander said calmly.” Alright men! follow me !”

Turn 1

The Allied army moved off towards the Royal Kraal Captain Lander, Biff Wellington, Fayyaad el- Khalifa and Hakim the Lame  all successfully double moved triggering the appearance of no less than four units of Ngoni one of which appeared a mere 6″ away. Faisal of Fashoda and Kamel “The knife” obviously decided to hang back and let others do the fighting (in other words they failed their activation test.

The natives started things off with a bang one unit charged out of some scrub straight into Hakim the Lame’s men and butchered three of them forcing Hakim and his boys to fall back and become pinned. A second Ngoni unit decided bullets couldn’t hurt them and charged 18″ across the table and impaled one of Biff Wellington’s armed poters. Biff’s boys fell back but weren’t pinned. The other Ngoni units advanced on the allies.

Turn 2

The allies suddenly found themselves surrounded by angry Ngoni. With so many targets Captain lander and his Askaris opened fire causing four casualties to the natives in front of them. Biff Wellington and his armed porters joined in causing two more casualties and pinning the natives to their front. Fayyaad el- Khalifa decided to show his men how to do it but when the smoke cleared he and his men hadn’t managed a single hit. Faisal of Fashoda put his imported Winchester rifle to good use causing two casualties on the Ngoni that had beat up Hakim the Lame. Speaking of Hakim his men were so shaken by the Ngoni attack they failed to rally and kept running. Kamel “The knife”  thanks to his “up and at ’em” leadership trait was now forced to try and charge the Ngoni, rather than sensibly shoot them, clearly his men didn't agree and he failed his activation test.

For the Ngoni one group charged Hakim the Lame and his cowering men and promptly butchered the lot of them. One group of Ngoni failed to rally and started falling back. Another unit of Ngoni decided they to where immune to bullets and crashed into Captain Landers askari spearing two in return for one casualty in return. Captain Lander and his men fell back and became pinned.

Turn 3

Captain Lander quickly rallied his men (no doubt through judicious use of his horse whip). Mr Wellington  and his boys fired pinning the Ngoni in front of them. Fayyaad el- Khalifa and his servants put up a much better showing this time accounting for no less than three of the enemy and pinning them. Faisal of Fashoda and his boys continued to pour fire into the Ngoni who had killed his college Hakim causing a casualty but not pinning them . Kamel “The knife” continued to try and get his followers to charge the same Ngoni and failing miserably

He needn’t have worried though because the Ngoni decided to charge his little command instead giving him the chance to put his sword to good use. In a spectacular display of pushing and shoving neither side managed to inflict a single casualty the Ngoni pulling back for a breather and to check the sharpness of their Iklwa. The Ngoni unit that had been decimated and pinned, by heavy fire, natural fell back. While the last group advanced towards the allies.

Fayyaad el- Khalifa wasn’t a happy man things had not gone to plan. Clearly their stealthy dawn attack hadn’t been quite as stealthy as he thought. It was like they had stepped into a hornet’s nest. Angry Ngoni warriors where popping up all over the place. Poor Hakim had already paid with his life and now the attack on the royal kraal had stalled. Instead of attacking as a group the attackers where strung out all over the place blazing away with their guns in all directions. Fayyaad spotted a group of Ngoni in front of him they seemed to be running away from the fight. Fayyaad had never been one to shy away from shooting a man in the back so he raised his musket, his men followed suit, “Fire!” screamed Fayyaad.

Turn 4

The allies poured hot lead in all directions. Captain Lander and his Askari caused one casualty. Mr wellington and his armed porters also managed a casualty and pinned their target. Fayyaad and his men scored a whopping four casualties but amazingly not pinning their target. Faisal of Fashoda again proved that as long as he and his men stood still and just kept shooting they could be useful causing two more hits and a pinning the Ngoni in front of them. Kamel “The knife” managed to convince his lads to charge the Ngoni Faisal had just shot out and again there ensued a brief bout of pushing, shoving and name calling which result in yet again no casualties to either side!?

For the Ngoni two punishing turns of musket and rifle fire left everyone pinned an attempting to rally two units decided they’d had enough and started falling back while one unit bravely (stupidly?) rallied ready for more.

Turn 5

The pressure on the allies had slacked off most on the Ngoni where in retreat only the unit trapped between Faisal of Fashoda guns and Kamel “The knife” and his big sword where grimly holding on. Faisal fired again causing two more hits but not pinning the last survivor. Leaving Kamel to charge in and finish the Ngoni off sadly the lone Ngoni managed to kill one of Kamel’s lads forcing them to retreat. Closer to the kraal Captain Lander and Fayyaad el- Khalifa entertained themselves by shooting at the retreating Ngoni causing a single casualty. With no threats left Mr Wellington ordered his porters, to move at the double, towards the Kraal no sooner had they done this than fresh Ngoni warriors where spotted.

The last surviving Ngoni warrior embolden by driving off six times his number of enemies followed up by charging Kamel and his lads again this time though his luck ran out and Kamel finally got blood on his “knife”. one Ngoni unit rallied one continued to fall back while the newly arrived warriors advanced towards the enemy.

Turn six

Biff wellington order his men to fire on the freshly arrived Ngoni warriors advancing towards them a devastating volley felled three and pinned the rest down. Fayyaad el- Khalifa order his men into skirmish order (half move fire at half effect in the rules) and their fire finished off the freshly rallied Ngoni to their front (A test showed the Ngoni unit could be recycled latter in the game). the first phase of battle was clearly coming to end and most of allied army took a moment to take a drink, smoke or a bite to eat…in others words all three units fluffed their activation tests.

Only two Ngoni units where still active and both failed their rally tests and routed. One unit was gone for ever but the other was recycled possibly to return later.

Biff Wellington looked around the smoke was clearing and the sound of gunfire had stopped. The only sound now was the groaning of the injured and dying. The Ngoni attack  had come so hard and fast that it had caught them by surprise thrown their own attack in to total disarray . In the end though their guns had proved more than a match for native spears. The royal kraal was closer now a small group of warriors stood in front of the kraal surrounding a large man wearing an outrageous red head dress. That had to be the Ngoni king. “Alright lads! It looks like this battle is almost ever” Biff confidently told his men…how little he knew.

Turn 7

With no enemy nearby the allied army started to double move towards the kraal. Well all except Captain Lander who decided to stop for a cup of Earl Grey and a crumpet. These movements triggered the arrival of single unit of Ngoni warriors to appear with 6″ of Faisal of Fashoda.

Faisal needn’t of worried though the newly arrived Ngoni took one look at the piles of Ngoni dead and dying at the distinct lack of fellow warriors and decided to leave King Mpasa to it and slinked off (it should be noted I mucked up the rules here due to being in charge range the Ngoni should have had a +1 modifier that would have prevented a slink off result.)

Turn 8

With no native presence the big push on the kraal was on. all pumped up on tea and crumpets Captain Lander and his men sprinted across the table. Kamel “the knife ” and Fayyaad el- Khalifa also continued to advance with purpose triggering the arrival of  two more Ngoni units  12″ away. Biff Wellington and Faisal of Fashoda both decided a drinks break was in order and failed to move.

With the enemy closing in King Mpasa and his bodyguards entered the fray advancing towards the invaders. One of the newly arrived Ngoni units charged Fayyaad el- Khalifa and his bodyguards killing two in reply for one lost warrior and forcing Fayyaad to fall back. The other new arrivals decided that king Mpasa wasn’t watching and slinked off.

Turn 9

Fayyaad el- Khalifa rallied his men. Biff and the boys opened fire on the enemy inflicting 3 casualties but not pinning the enemy. Captain Lander ordered his men into skirmish line and inflicted another casualty on the enemy. Faisal of Fashoda decided he and his men would be safer closer to the rest of the army and double moved a full 12″. Meanwhile Kamel “the knife” and the boys decided to take break in shade of an acacia tree.

One unit of natives decided to go to ground in the long grass beside the kraal. Mean while the other unit of Ngoni and King Mpasa both charged Fayyaad el- Khalifa causing three causalities for one in reply Fayyaad fell back and became pinned.

Part 3 coming soon..

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Great game and excellent battle report.  A very confusing and finely balanced game - just like the real thing.  :D

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Beautiful pictures! Just bloody superb. I shall catch up with the text later when I have gone into work and am pretending that I'm doing something productive.  :)

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
Great game and excellent battle report.  A very confusing and finely balanced game - just like the real thing.  :D

Thanks Yes the solo version of TMWWBK is good fun and very unpredictable.

Beautiful pictures! Just bloody superb. I shall catch up with the text later when I have gone into work and am pretending that I'm doing something productive.  :)

Thanks who hasn't had a sneaky look at LAF on a slow day at work  ;)

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
The Burning Desire for Revenge – Part 3

Captain Phil Lander took a freshly loaded rifle from his gun bearer, and brought it up to his shoulder, there in front of him was his revenge. The dastardly King Mpasa and his bodyguards had, it seemed, just butchered Fayyaad el- Khalifa and his men with their spears. Captain Lander could see a lone survivor fleeing back towards the safety of the rest of the army. ” Take aim! Fire!” screamed Captain Lander. A number of Mpasa’s bodyguards fell. “Fire!” again and again Captain Lander’s askaris loaded and fired their Snider rifles. The king and his bodyguards started to flee back towards his kraal. Under such devastating shooting soon only the king was left he turned and locked stares with Captain Lander, raising his spear and shield above his head, the king resembled every inch the noble savage. “This is for Stan you bastard” whispered Captain Lander as he raised his rifle. A shot rang out, King Mpasa fell, Captain Lander stared blankly his rifle trigger still un-pulled.

Crouching in a patch of long grass Fayyaad el- Khalifa lowered his smoking rifle and grinned at last his nemesis was dead.

Turn 10

Captain Lander and his askaris opened fire on king Mpasa and his bodyguards causing three casualties and pinning them. Biff wellington and his armed porters wiped out the Ngoni to their front with a fine display of shooting.  Faisal of Fashoda and his lads fired on some natives that had gone to ground nearby managing an impressive three casualties. Kamel “the knife” and boys stopped for an unscheduled water break. Meanwhile Fayyaad el- Khalifa managed to rally after his close call with the Ngoni iklwa.

On the natives side the Ngoni all fell back or went to ground.

Turn 11

Biff Wellington continued to whittle down King Mpasa’s bodyguard. Captain Lander double moved towards the kraal. As did Fayyaad. Faisal of Fashoda and the lads took on some long range sniping an managed to take down a Ngoni warrior. Meanwhile Kamel “the knife” and his boys extended the water break in to a full blown picnic (in other words they failed yet another activation test)

King Mpasa rallied in front of his kraal while the another unit fell back.

Turn 12

Captain Lander opened fire on King Mpasa wiping out the last of his bodyguards. Fayyaad el- Khalifa then delivered the Coup De Grâce on the poor king. Biff Wellington had to send a man to the rear for fresh ammo (Biffs character trait means he has to pass an activation test to fire and he failed). Mean while Kamel and the boys where taking an after picnic nap and Faisal and the boys also decided a rest was in order.

One unit of Ngoni took the death of their king badly and charged Captain Lander and his askari felling them all in a revenge fuelled stabbing fest.. The other Ngoni took a more pragmatic view of their king’s death and fell back.

Biff Wellington didn’t have time to mourn the death of his comrades. Having overrun Captain Lander and his men the angry Ngoni warriors where now bearing down on him and his men. “Where’s that ammunition?” Biff shouted at one of his men” Not here yet boss” “Bugger” said Biff through gritted teeth dropping his rifle and pulling out his revolver “looks like this is going to get close and personal.” 

Turn 13

In a stunning dose of bad luck Biff failed his second activation test in a row and failed to fire. Fayyaad el- Khalifa now cut a lone figure with all his bodyguards dead and decided to double move back towards the rest of his men skiving in the rear. Speaking of which the rest of Fayyaad el- Khalifa’s men where now taking the micky failing yet another pair of activation tests.

Fresh from wiping out Captain Lander the victorious Ngoni plunged into Biff Wellington and his men and killed three for no reply forcing Biff to fall back. The other unit seeing the tide of battle turning rallied.

Turn 14

Biff decided not to stop running until he had got away from all those sharp pointy spears (In other words he fluffed his rally test). Kamel “the knife” continued to extract the urine. Mean while Faisal of Fashoda finally kicked his men into action and they fired on the Ngoni though due to their appalling marksmanship they all missed. Mean while Fayyaad el- Khalifa moved to make sure plenty of his men where between him and the remaining Ngoni.

The last of the Ngoni charged the retreating Biff beating him down but not before Biff took one with him.

Turn 15

The battle was clearly reaching the end. Both Faisal of Fashoda and Kamel “the knife” and their men now realising everyone else was dead opened fire on one of the two remaining units of Ngoni causing three casualties and pinning them. Fayyaad el- Khalifa choose to  just stand around looking calm.

One Ngoni unit failed to rally and fell back. the other carried on their near suicidal attempt to win the battle single handily. Having accounted for both Captain Lander and Biff they know charged head long into Faisal of Fashoda and his boys causing and casualty and forcing them to fall back.

Turn  16

Faisal rallied his lads. Fayyaad el- Khalifa managed to gun down a single enemy pinning the Ngoni. One unit of Ngoni was close enough that Kamel “the knife”  wanted to up close and personal but his men clearly didn’t agree.

Both units of Ngoni flailed to rally and fell back

Turn 17

The remaining Arabs all opened fire on the falling back Ngoni but not to any effect.

The last two Ngoni units both failed their rally tests and routed with no Ngoni left in reserve I called the battle finished the Arab slavers where now free to round up slaves and cattle and burn the kraal.

Epilogue

King Bangizwe stood looking at the burned and looted remains of his, now dead, father’s Kraal. He had been forced to flee the battlefield earlier that day and had now returned with what few warriors he had managed to muster. It was hard to imagine that a few weeks ago his people’s kingdom seemed strong and feared by its neighbours. In the last two weeks his kingdom’s warriors had fought three battles against invaders armed with guns and had been decimated. The kingdom was in tatters and it was his luck to inherit it from his farther.

He was disturbed from his thoughts by one of his warriors. “We found survivours” the warrior informed him. King Bangizwe turned and stared at the survivors a young boy and two white men one white man was bleeding heavily from his scalp the other was holding an obviously injured arm. Bangizwe fought down his anger an the urge to have his men disembowel these men. No he was king know he need to look to the future of his kingdom not look to avenge the past.  He looked at the boy “Where are you from boy?” the child just stared blankly at him. Bangizwe sighed and tried the again this time in the language they called Swahilli. He could see the boy understood. “You have a new job boy you are now my interpreter” the boy nodded “tell the white men this boy” said Bangizwe “You know about guns ? Yes?  I need guns and you” he starred at the two white men ” are going to help me get them”

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
A new piece of terrain for my on going Darkest Africa project this time a Tembe. Tembe where a type of fortified building in which people could shelter in event of attack. Normally consisting of two rectangle buildings, running parallel to each other and linked by palisaded gates to create a courtyard.  The walls of both buildings where loop holed  both facing outside and in to the courtyard. The Roof could be thatch like this

or possibly earth like this

I decided to go with an earth roof on my model. So I grabbed the last of my foamcore card supplies, bits of balsa wood and bamboo skewers and set about constructing

The roof was constructed from more foamcore card with twigs and brush bristles glued on and then covered in cheap brown window filler to look like earth in attempt to look like the roof in the second picture of this post. Meanwhile the walls got a coat of white filler leaving out some exposed mud bricks Id etched in to the foamcore.

Then I slapped on a rough and ready mostly dry brushed paint job the end result was this.

Offline bazookajoe

• Librarian
Re: Diablo Jon does Darkest Africa - Now with Slaver Tembe
« Reply #144 on: May 18, 2020, 07:14:35 AM »
That Tembe is inspirational.  I always wanted to make one but doubted my abilities.  The mud on the roof must have been to protect the thatch from fire.  Dry thatch goes up in a instant!

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #145 on: May 18, 2020, 07:35:11 AM »
That Tembe is inspirational.  I always wanted to make one but doubted my abilities.  The mud on the roof must have been to protect the thatch from fire.  Dry thatch goes up in a instant!

Yeah I think so fire would be my first weapon if choice to use on a Tembe if I were a native warrior attacking one.

Interestingly Mlozi's stockade ( the second picture) was built like a giant Tembe but apparently had rifle pits scraped out of the floor to allow men to shoot from a very low set of loop holes. A second set of loop holes were for men standing so doubling up how many guns could fire on attackers. I guess  they had a lot of spare earth from digging out the rifle pits so stuck it in the roof.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 10:24:14 AM by Diablo Jon »

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #146 on: May 18, 2020, 08:29:59 AM »
You've done a lovely job there, Diablo Jon. Well done! I do love a nice Tembe. Like Bazookajoe I always wanted one, but I am lazy, don't enjoy building things and don't really have the skills. So I paid somebody else to make me one.  :)

I don't think mine is as visually impressive as yours, but I like it. This is the only photo I have that features it...

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #147 on: May 18, 2020, 10:28:53 AM »
You've done a lovely job there, Diablo Jon. Well done! I do love a nice Tembe. Like Bazookajoe I always wanted one, but I am lazy, don't enjoy building things and don't really have the skills. So I paid somebody else to make me one.  :)

I don't think mine is as visually impressive as yours, but I like it. This is the only photo I have that features it...

Thank you. Those are some fine Ruga-Ruga posing in front of a what looks like a nice Tembe. How on earth did you manage to get naked Ruga-Ruga gunmen. I'm assuming conversions but they are really well done.

Must resist the Ruga-Ruga. I have a few Ruga-Ruga in my pile and want to get some more but I really need to finish up my extra Ngoni and British Lakes Company armies first before I start painting something else..

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #148 on: May 18, 2020, 10:31:43 AM »
Great stuff  8)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #149 on: May 18, 2020, 11:43:54 AM »
I'm assuming conversions but they are really well done.

Thanks for the compliment. You assume correctly. Foundry DA tribal musketeers with their loin cloths removed and a little putty surgery done on them to give them some man-bits. some wire ankle bracelets added and then heads donated from some Copplestone Watuta figures. A fun conversion mini-project that I embarked upon to add a little variety to my Ruga Ruga. As far as I know nobody makes nudie Ruga Ruga, and I wanted some.  :)

I did the same to some of my Watuta, as they were known for running around in their birthday suits on occasion, too. Perhaps I need to take a step back and stop nudifying everybody. What would the vicar think?  lol