Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:09:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Diablo Jon does Darkest Africa - Mirambo (Heaps of Corpses) painted.  (Read 66288 times)

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
Re: Diablo Jon does Darkest Africa - Getting Distracted by the Portuguese
« Reply #330 on: October 16, 2020, 08:12:36 AM »
thanks guys

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #331 on: October 16, 2020, 08:53:05 AM »
Oh yes! As you know, this kind of thing is my favourite aspect of the Darkest Africa genre. Great job.  And with your Central Africa project you have a ready-made potential foe already lined up, as I think the Nyasaland and Mozambique Ngoni were pretty similar in terms of adornments, regalia and such.

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #332 on: October 16, 2020, 10:13:59 AM »
Oh yes! As you know, this kind of thing is my favourite aspect of the Darkest Africa genre. Great job.  And with your Central Africa project you have a ready-made potential foe already lined up, as I think the Nyasaland and Mozambique Ngoni were pretty similar in terms of adornments, regalia and such.

Thanks Plynkes

I think you're right I reckon my Ngoni could pass for Gaza Nguni. Also I think the Yao/Lomwe alliance (more conversions) I'm building could be used as enemies, or allies, for the Portuguese. Given that Portugal's African based troops (as opposed to the metropolitan expeditions) seem to have had been poorly supplied, coupled with the soldiers general habit of supplementing their equipment with native and civilian gear, I think could probably stretch these guys from the late 1860s to the start of the 1890s (before the reforms of the mid 1890s where Eureka's Portuguese would be usable). Which means I could have them clash with Rhodes BSACo police in Manicland, or possibly Prazero Chikunda on the Zambezi or even what ifs with the African Lakes Company and British settlers in the Shire highlands. Its certainly got my brain working over time but I need to get these Arabs finished first  lol

Offline cardophillipo

• Librarian
    • Renegade of the Atomic Age
« Reply #333 on: October 16, 2020, 06:07:42 PM »
Seem to remember a series of articles in Miniature Wargames a long time ago entitled "Chasing the Lion of Gaza". That I believe was about the Portuguese in Mozambique.
I'm going to need a SWAT team ready to mobilise, street level maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammie Dodgers and a Fez!

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #334 on: October 16, 2020, 06:40:41 PM »
Seem to remember a series of articles in Miniature Wargames a long time ago entitled "Chasing the Lion of Gaza". That I believe was about the Portuguese in Mozambique.

I did to. I spent a good hour going through all my back copies from the 80s, 90s and early 00s trying to find said articles sadly I came up blank  :?

Offline JBaumal

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #335 on: October 17, 2020, 01:16:29 PM »
Job, it should be issue #146.

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #336 on: October 17, 2020, 01:53:18 PM »
Job, it should be issue #146.

Cheers for that.

Now if only I'd organised my back issues by number rather than in a big random heap in a draw  lol
at least I know what I'm looking for now  :)

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #337 on: October 26, 2020, 06:12:06 AM »
The good news is I’ve managed an incredible amount of painting this last week or so the bad news is it’s mostly been on the hall, landing and stairs of Casa del Diablo. In between all the DIY I’ve managed to knock out yet another twelve musket armed Arabs and take a couple of quick photos. The DIY is mostly done so hopefully the hobby time can pick up again but it looks like finishing my Arab army is going to move into November as I still have a number of Arabs with modern rifles, more musket armed Arabs, Baluchi and baggage to finish.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
Re: Diablo Jon does Darkest Africa - Yet more Arabs for Africa
« Reply #338 on: October 27, 2020, 12:22:39 PM »
Smashing! A couple of those guys (including the leader holding his hand up) are on my painting table right now. But that doesn't mean much, they've been there a couple of years.

I like the drummer. I painted mine in exactly the same colours, if I remember right.

Offline Mike1879

• Scientist
« Reply #339 on: October 27, 2020, 02:10:36 PM »
Nice work yet again. Like the drum skin colours !!

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #340 on: October 28, 2020, 06:19:07 AM »
Thanks guys.

I'm pretty sure the leader with his hand up is supposed to be a representation of Tippu Tip he is my favourite mini from the foundry Zanzibari characters pack.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #341 on: October 28, 2020, 09:32:58 AM »
You might be right there, Jon. Looks like him, doesn't it?

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #342 on: November 23, 2020, 06:20:20 AM »
whoops double post
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 06:18:28 AM by Diablo Jon »

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #343 on: November 23, 2020, 06:23:30 AM »
Wow has it really been almost a month since my last update? I have continued to chip away at my Arab army, and have painted plenty more Arabs with muskets, but I figured people would probably be pretty bored of seeing Arab armed musket man 32, 33 and 34 etc etc so I figured I’d just show them all when the army is finished.

I have just painted up the lovely little Foundry Arab gun and crew though, to take a break from Arabs with muskets, and thought it came out nicely so I’d share a few pictures. With the gun done I’m down to just seven more Arabs and two baggage bases left, to finish the core of the army, to which I can then add extras like regular Zanzibari soldiers or tribal allies at a later date.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
Re: Diablo Jon does Darkest Africa - Arab Gun and Crew
« Reply #344 on: November 23, 2020, 11:19:08 AM »
Nice one! It's a lovely piece of kit, that. Mine has seen a bit of action, but it has never been the battle-winner that its operators hoped it would be. I think they have got diced up or chased away in every battle they've been in.  :)