Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:00:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686663
  • Total Topics: 118120
  • Online Today: 815
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A return to 2000AD: Judge Dredd (re-run, p.2-3)  (Read 4756 times)

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
A return to 2000AD: Judge Dredd (re-run, p.2-3)
« on: December 08, 2019, 05:35:48 PM »
Hi all,

some may remember that back in the late 2000s, I started a 2000AD project that took off properly during the years I lived in the UK. There was a large-ish thread here, titled "The Meknificent Seven and Friends", reflecting my then-focus on the ABC Warriors and Nemesis universes, with some Judge Dredd thrown in in the later phases.

Fast forward a couple of years, and like all my threads, it fell victim to the Photobucket purge, and I never truly felt like replacing the images (not that I was particularly active back then, in any case).

In recent years, though, I got increasingly interested in Strontium Dog, and having read most (if not all) of the stories had started out, mini-wise, with the various Foundry figures then available and, in my usual fashion, incorporating whatever figures tickled my fancy.

I will eventually fill up this thread with pictures of the older projects, but will start off with the Strontium Dog parts. This OP will we used as an index with links to the main sections and posts-of-interest (as I consider them, you may of course disagree, earthlets).

Strontium Dog:

Main heroes, villains and side characters on this page.

ABC Warriors:

Heroes, sidekicks and villains on page 2.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 07:44:55 AM by Westfalia Chris »

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
Re: A return to 2000AD
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2019, 05:48:58 PM »
First off, why Strontium Dog?

I must admit I wasn't quite so taken with it back in the day in that I only got the first collection of stories, which, despite some highlights, weren't all that much to my liking - but I did see that this was a subject the late Carlos Ezquerra's style was eminently suited to, much more than (to my mind) Judge Dredd, which IMHO worked best with the cleaner, more technical style of Messrs. Bolland and Jones.

Late on, though, I got the following collections as E-books, and from "Portrait of a Mutant", the thing really took off, with most of the "large arcs" being particularly interesting (although I really struggled with "The Final Solution", though mainly due to the art).

Additionally, the whole setting lent itself very much to Space Western gaming, which has been dear to my heart ever since I first saw "Outland" many years ago. I was fascinated when Warlord put out their overwhelmingly comprehensive game, which had also an excellent engine beneath it - I actually only manage to host a couple of games at a local games day and play some solo games, due to not having a gaming group interested in it, but it played pretty well and did a fine job of balancing the power levels.

Pics now, then! First off, the various "good guys", which is, of course, a bit relative, but what isn't in that universe.

Johnny Alpha, Wulf Sternhammer and the Gronk. These are the old Foundry figures, which I must say I prefer to the Warlord versions - those on foot, that is. The hoverbike and Mork-mounted figures are superb (but not yet painted, shamefully).

This is the alternate, slightly more dynamic Johnny sculpt by Foundry, with an alternate-paint-scheme Wulf.

Fellow Stronts, namely Evans the Fist, The Torso from Newcastle, Middenface McNulty, Kid Knee and Durham Red. With the exception of Kid Knee (a converted Kryomek penal legionnaire), these are the Foundry figures. I must say I didn't like the corresponding Warlord set too much and so haven't bought it yet, but may eventually do so for completeness' sake.

A comparison pic of the Foundry and Warlord (right) variants of Evans and Torso, the Warlord figures being from the "Mutant Army Generals" set (more of that below).

Some "neutral" Bounty Hunters, from Normo to Mutie. A mix of old lead lying around or found at Bring-and-Buys.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 06:39:12 PM by Westfalia Chris »

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2019, 05:55:49 PM »
Now for the more villainous types!

A quintet of Stixes, with the two Foundry figures at the right, the three Warlord ones on the left. The Warlord figures are a better likeness, but IMHO lack some heft. Still, good sculpts.

The Weerd Brothers, three extremely good sculpts in my book, pretty much spot-on from the comics with good proportions and proper heft.

This is the "Scum of the Universe" set, collecting characters from three different story arcs (Steelkreeg the Android, Kansyr and Billy Joe). Again, great likenesses, and a nice bit of movement in Billy Joe with those two laswhips.

Max Bubba's gang, still not finished, though. The missing Warlord sculpts didn't really say "paint me" to me, so are only partially done so far (Bubba is the Foundry figure).

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2019, 06:04:49 PM »
That's it so far for the "character" figures, now to move on to some goons and sundry. I've still got a number of the character in the painting queue, plus Kreelers, cops and more goons.

A bunch of "Galactic Rogues", not necessarily only for SD, but painted with a strong four-colour vibe to them.

Various goons and ancillary characters, from Warlord, Heresy or Hasslefree (cannot remember), and from an older game that pretty much fizzled, as far as I can recall (the name eludes me).

Darkus and his Howlers. Good sculpts, and together with the Bubo and the Bad Boys set (same species mounted on Morks) will be used for "native alien raiders" apart from their original appearances.

Some spacefarer dudes from Statuesque and Antediluvian miniatures.

Gonzo Brigsden and his space mercenaries. Will add to these later as I find more suitable figures.

Some Robo-Killers from the Rogue Stars line. Beautiful desings, a bit rough casting here and there, but nothing insurmountable.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2019, 06:07:58 PM »
This post will collect the initial Mutant Civil War figures, that is the ones below and a box of Kreelers currently being painted.

The remaining "Mutant Army Generals" (Warlord Games), namely Clacton Fuzz, General Armz and Studs Boyce. Again, great likenesses, and in the case of Fuzz being useable for his son, too.

This is the "Build-a-mutie" box set, which contains bodies for five figures plus limbs for some more - I'm still sieving the lead mountain for some other figures that might be suitable as bases.

More on the mutant civil war to come.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2019, 06:19:18 PM »
Now for some scenery.

As I noted before, I wasn't much of an Ezquerra fan before I read the Strontium Dog stories, which work much better with his particular style. Still, he draws wonderful organic-looking buildings, the round shapes I aimed to replicate.

A year later, I think the bright colours don't work as well as I expected, and I will probably build some more buildings in more muted browns and sands, with some Tatooine aspects thrown in. The general shapes, though, still appeal to me, although they might do with some more vertical lines thrown in.

A generator-type building from Micro Art Studios. I originally bought it for Judge Dredd but never finished it, then repainted it with some blue to go with the next few buildings.

A large-ish command compound, made from styrofoam.

A paddock of sorts (to house robots and delinquents). Again, scratchbuilt from styrofoam.

A simple refinery building. This should originally go with more external pipelines, but I ran out of time before the convention and then turned to the Lost World project which you may have seen in my LPL entries this season.

Two storage bunkers, again from styrofoam. These were the original ones I built a couple of years ago, inspired by the old Kryomek Nexus bunkers, which would have been perfect for my taste, if not for their size and scale, which sadly is diminutive next to those large, modern figures. I've got a set of the latter which I hope to supplement with a large-ish landing platform, then use as a table-corner set dressing complex where the scale issues aren't so bad.

And finally an armoured vehicle of sorts (from Puppets War, I think) which I bought at a hobby Bring-and-Buy. It's got nice heft and is a good scenario objective, but I will build some vehicles (shuttles and maybe a tanketto) once I get back into the vibe.

That's it so far! I'll add more pics of Warlord Games sets over the next few weeks, I hope. Thanks for looking! If you have any questions, I'll be happy to discuss.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2019, 06:36:05 PM »
Most excellent  8)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2019, 07:43:48 PM »
Great looking project Chris

8)

Offline joekano

• Mastermind
    • My blog: Major Thomas Foolery
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2019, 08:05:11 PM »
Have to admit I'm not that familiar with Strontium Dog, but what a fun looking miniatures collection. Think I'll need to learn more about this world.

Thanks!
Chris
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here, this is the war room." -President Merkin Muffley
http://majorthomasfoolery.blogspot.com/

Offline axiom

• Mastermind
    • My blog: Magpie and old lead
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2019, 01:55:32 PM »
These are excellent! I'm currently trying to reconcile mixing Foundry and/or Warlord figures in with my Citadel ones. I think if I'm selective, I can cope with a little variation in scale.

I really love your vibrant comic book colours and the scratch built terrain.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2019, 03:01:33 PM »
These are excellent! I'm currently trying to reconcile mixing Foundry and/or Warlord figures in with my Citadel ones. I think if I'm selective, I can cope with a little variation in scale.

I really love your vibrant comic book colours and the scratch built terrain.

Size is all over the place re: Foundry and Warlord. I would, personally, probably draw a line regarding the old Citadel 2000AD stuff (I've got a couple of the Judge Dredd figures, and those didn't work out at all), but it's possibly more a matter of heft than size; I've got some Paranoia troubleshooters waiting to be painted, who are chunky enough to work next to the Foundry ones, albeit a bit vertically-challenged - but that could be explained as a mutation.

The only thing that irks me a bit with the Warlord stuff is that some of the key figures are much more lanky than the rest of the range, notably the Stixes shown above and the original Johnny and Wulf from the boxed game. The other releases are all more realistically proportioned than other 28-30mm ranges, but also pack some heft that hides it a bit.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2019, 03:33:03 PM »
Holy smokes, Chris! What a collection!

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2019, 04:20:31 PM »
Fantastic figs. I have a couple of 2000AD figs still lurking in the painting pile and this is inspiring me to shake off the dust.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2019, 04:27:02 PM »
Wow  :-*
You have been busy, Chris!

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2019, 05:05:18 PM »
Excellent collection and great to see. Looking forward to seeing it progress.