Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 11:18:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690820
  • Total Topics: 118353
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 'The Robber Knights - PART TROIS, a (long) Medieval battle report. Many pics P11  (Read 34201 times)

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
Likewise.  Stunning table..stunning minis and simple rule set......I’m sold!

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
A thing of beauty and a highly entertaining report. Thank you.

Offline valleyboy

• Mad Scientist
    • Valleyboy's Wargames
Just caught up with this  - absolutely superb :-*
I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colours. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns. - Winston Churchill

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Just caught up with this  - absolutely superb :-*

Thanks Kerry (and everyone else  :))

Late to this thread but an absolutely stunning table and miniatures.
Question, would you mind sharing some pictures of how you store such a table?

I can, but it's not all that exciting :)
Basically, all the trees, hedges, buildings etc are removable, so you're left with the styrofoam slab boards.
As they're terraformed with some quite chunky terrain features in place, obviously they don't stack neatly on top of each other... Which I guess is your question.

My desert boards (see here https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=52964.1125) are 600mm square foam slabs, so I keep them boxed, with a cube of off-cut styrofoam placed as a spacer on the four corners of each board, to separate it from the board above or below it.

But these big 1200mm x 500mm boards are a different matter. I now have about a dozen of them, and I'm afraid I just prop them up on shelves or against walls wherever I can that they're out of the way. Luckily I have a purpose-built double garage block with a wargames room over it, so I have lots of space to keep toys and parts of layouts...  :)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog

My desert boards (see here https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=52964.1125) are 600mm square foam slabs, so I keep them boxed, with a cube of off-cut styrofoam placed as a spacer on the four corners of each board, to separate it from the board above or below it.

Do you have an MDF base Richard or just go with the foam slabs?

I'm pondering what width of MDF , if any, I should go for  ???

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Just the foam slabs, Darrell. I've used lots of them down the years. I don't base them on MDF or ply; I don't edge them with anything, I don't even tape the edges. They're solid, rigid slabs - they won't warp; they physically can't bend.

Yes, if you're going to drop them down stairs, generally bash them around, or walk into sharp-edged door frames carrying them, they're going to suffer.
But providing you're scrupulously careful when you move them around (and I've moved these from venue to venue a fair bit) they're as durable as anything else, plus extremely lightweight and thus highly portable and easy to handle. I've had some of these slabs for around 10 years now, and they're as good as new.
(The surface coating of sand/paint/PVA gloop which plasticises and sets hard provides a very useful additional layer of protection).
Provided you have the space to store them (which I totally appreciate many people don't) and a big enough car to move them, I don't really understand why everybody doesn't use this kind of terrain.
;)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Just the foam slabs, Darrell. I've used lots of them down the years. I don't base them on MDF or ply; I don't edge them with anything, I don't even tape the edges. They're solid, rigid slabs - they won't warp; they physically can't bend.

Yes, if you're going to drop them down stairs, generally bash them around, or walk into sharp-edged door frames carrying them, they're going to suffer.
But providing you're scrupulously careful when you move them around (and I've moved these from venue to venue a fair bit) they're as durable as anything else, plus extremely lightweight and thus highly portable and easy to handle. I've had some of these slabs for around 10 years now, and they're as good as new.
(The surface coating of sand/paint/PVA gloop which plasticises and sets hard provides a very useful additional layer of protection).
Provided you have the space to store them (which I totally appreciate many people don't) and a big enough car to move them, I don't really understand why everybody doesn't use this kind of terrain.
;)

Sold! Thanks mate.

Anything to save extra work and weight etc  8)

Offline Rabbitz

• Mad Scientist
    • Unit57
WOW.   :o

Amazing photos and write up.   Very interested in reading more of your reports.   
Integrity is non negotiable

My little blog

www.unit57inminiature.blogspot.com.au

Offline richardpate

• Assistant
ecellent pics and presentation.  The table looks great.  Good job, Rick

Offline jamopower

• Bookworm
    • My blog
Looks amazing. Also good tips on the tree mounting, thanks for that.

We've been playing the Horse and Musket variant for couple games of Finnish war of 1808 and I have liked the system very much. Have to test it in other settings as well.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Thanks gents  :)

Offline discok3

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
So so good..will be getting me the rules plus the medieval supplement this year.Your table is a wargamers dream and the game looks like my sort of thing with not too much to paint but lots of hilarious/heroic variables...outstanding stuff gents
More when you can
Cheers
Kev
Good moaning

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
So so good..will be getting me the rules plus the medieval supplement this year.Your table is a wargamers dream and the game looks like my sort of thing with not too much to paint but lots of hilarious/heroic variables...outstanding stuff gents
More when you can
Cheers
Kev

Good to hear you are joining the kewl kids ;) :) lol
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline discok3

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
Yup and might try to inveigle my way into one of your games at some point.Will hassle Mark to hide me in the boot

Offline MaleGriffin

• Mastermind
  • Don't bother running.... You'll just die tired....
Inspirational!
Hoc quoque transibit
Sanguinem sistit semper