Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:30:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686609
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Chinese Terra Cotta Army  (Read 2209 times)

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
Chinese Terra Cotta Army
« on: December 09, 2019, 08:16:59 PM »
Got a girl in my jacuzzi who wants to amass a 28mm terra cotta army as they were found (Colonial archaeology scenario) in ground.   She swears they were found wearing real clothes and armor.   I say "then why bother sculpting said?")  Something about how the Chinese removed weapons and armor when found.

Did they have weapons and real clothes/armor when tombed?

Thanks
Reigning USTA Florida, and National 50+ Singles Champion  (tennis)  TWO Time Florida 50+ Singles Champion!  Just won State 2019!

Offline levied troop

• Mastermind
Re: Chinese Terra Cotta Army
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2019, 08:44:36 PM »
There were around 10,000 real weapons (spears, swords, axes, crossbows and a few unusual ones)  found with or in the hands of the warriors and more than 100 wooden war chariots.  I haven’t seen a reference to real clothes being found in the pits, given that the actual terracotta figures were slightly larger than life then if any were made they’d have to be made especially for the burial. Having said that, they did clearly make the armour in some cases, albeit from stone held together by copper wire.
The League of Gentlemen Anti Alchemists
(We Turn Gold into Lead)

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2019, 09:55:49 PM »
There were around 10,000 real weapons (spears, swords, axes, crossbows and a few unusual ones)  found with or in the hands of the warriors and more than 100 wooden war chariots.  I haven’t seen a reference to real clothes being found in the pits, given that the actual terracotta figures were slightly larger than life then if any were made they’d have to be made especially for the burial. Having said that, they did clearly make the armour in some cases, albeit from stone held together by copper wire.

gracias!  im dancing 'round the jacuzzi in pride for being mostly right  :)

Offline Stosstruppen

• Assistant
    • Adventures in Wargaming and History
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2019, 01:53:11 PM »
Smokey,

Check out this range from Watchful I they have actual Terracotta warriors s an army

https://www.watchfulistudio.com/store/c1/Featured_Products.html
凱文

"Nothing is more difficult, and therefore more precious, than to be able to decide."

Napoleon Bonaparte

Offline fusilierdan

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2019, 03:14:57 AM »
I think I read somewhere that they were painted originally but the colors have faded off. 

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2019, 03:35:23 AM »
I teach an art appreciation course and I have a foreign exchange student from China. When I talked a bit about the terracotta army she told me that there are still more buried that have not been excavated. They were indeed painted; the exposure to air after being buried for two thousand years makes the paint fade or flake off almost immediately. I think it takes pretty extensive conservation and careful excavation to protect what colors remain.

There's gotta be some insane stuff in the Emperor's actual tomb, which hasn't been excavated at all as I understand it. 
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2019, 07:29:22 AM »
It's been a while since I went to Xian but I believe the tomb has so much mercury in it that you can't even get close to the hill it's buried under.

They are quite ghostly to see in the 'flesh'.
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new

Offline levied troop

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2019, 03:00:38 PM »
I'm envious, I only managed to see 12 of them at an exhibition in London and that was quite something. To actually see the pits must be fantastic.

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2019, 03:13:09 PM »
It certainly is impressive...and kinda creepy with sooo many of them arrayed almost as if for battle. The shattered ones kinda look like some unseen enemy has taken pot shots at them while the rest march on regardless...

I believe the Emperor so heavily taxed everyone that after he died, and was interred, there was a revolt and some of the chambers were broken into so they could take the weapons.

Offline Maniac

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2019, 05:56:29 PM »
It's been a while since I went to Xian but I believe the tomb has so much mercury in it that you can't even get close to the hill it's buried under.

It is impressive, the full army covers something like 12 square miles and is laid out in full battle formation.  The sword with traces of chrome plating is pretty cool to see.  The main warehouse felt like it was several US football fields in size.

Many were damaged or destroyed before they knew they were there.  Farmers would dig them up, panic, and destroy them.  Either thinking them evil spirits or else wanting to prevent the government/party from taking their land.  So it isn't really known when they were really discovered, save when officially listed and turned over to the state.

There another, smaller one, outside of Beijing.  I did not get to go see it, but apparently the army is about 1/3rd human sized.
On time, on target, or the next one's free

Offline Deflatermouse

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2019, 01:16:52 AM »

I was there too in the '90's. Very incredible to see someone who finished their army....
And Ancestor Number One, it is  or was, unlikely he was going to be disturbed.
We caught a bus to the Warriors site from Xian. All the Chinese on board were very chatty and talkative until we passed this hill covered in trees.
Everyone went quiet and looked out the left window. I guessed it was something important.
Maybe your hot-tub girl was thinking of the Tomb of Emperor Jingdi.
It's nearby, and the figures did have clothing on them when they were originally interned.
https://www.trippest.com/xian/five-differences-terracotta-army-tomb-emperor-jingdi/

And some pics of my 15mm Pulp Terracotta army..

« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 01:20:01 AM by Deflatermouse »

Offline Stosstruppen

• Assistant
    • Adventures in Wargaming and History
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2019, 02:56:21 PM »
@Deflatermouse - The Chinese are a superstitious people when it come to spirits and so forth. My wife was somewhat disturbed because she had thought I signed us up to see the Ming tombs with our great wall tour. Told me no pictures there, lest the spirits follow us home. I think she was happy that the tombs were not part of the tour I booked. Apparently her late husband had taken her to the tombs when they were there.

Offline Deflatermouse

• Librarian
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2019, 09:01:54 PM »
Yep.Superstitious.
My wife and friend we were with are red-heads. LOTS of stuff there that we found out after.
I sometimes think the superstitions, spirits, magic and medicine are undervalued in gaming as it causes a lot of motivation and reasons for their owner.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 08:37:19 AM by Deflatermouse »

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2019, 03:09:58 PM »
@Deflatermouse: Which manufacturer made those 15mm Qin figures?

Offline Deflatermouse

• Librarian
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2019, 10:21:35 AM »
@Deflatermouse: Which manufacturer made those 15mm Qin figures?

They are the lovely Museum Miniature 15mm Chinese.
https://www.museumminiatures.co.uk/chariot/chinese.html

They've taken part in many battles and have done quite well.
Although sadly they've been quiet of late.