Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:01:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690823
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Fireforge Templar Knights  (Read 1079 times)

Gabbi

Fireforge Templar Knights
« on: December 06, 2019, 09:38:49 PM »
I'm looking at Fireforge Templar or Teutonic Knights as proxies for this Warmachine unit:
https://privateerpress.com/warmachine/gallery/the-protectorate-of-menoth/units/exemplar-vengers

Besides the original helms with the typical style of the faction, and the Menofex (the cross-like symbol) on the shields, they're basically fantasy crusaders on horses. So I have some hard time justifying the 90$ price tag (that here in Italy magically become 90€ from local vendors), while Fireforge sells me 6 similar models for a fraction of the cost: https://fireforge-games.com/military-order/9-teutonic-knights.html

I have a couple questions, though: is the cape optional? I would like to assemble them without the cape, but I'm worried their neck will look too thin without the cape.
How big they are, size-wise? Warmachine is a tad on the large side (not AoS level of large, but quite large), if these are in scale with, say, Gripping Beast dark age stuff, they will probably look out of place among Warmachine stuff.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 09:41:27 PM by Gabbi »

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
Re: Fireforge Templar Knights
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2019, 09:41:24 PM »
Yes, the sprues have the cape as an add-on.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Gabbi

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2019, 09:42:51 PM »
Yes, the sprues have the cape as an add-on.
Thanks,  but I think I have not explained myself properly. I have checked sprue images already. My worries are in regards of how they look without the capes.
Thanks for replying, btw :)

Gabbi

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2019, 09:55:36 PM »
How big they are, size-wise? Warmachine is a tad on the large side (not AoS level of large, but quite large), if these are in scale with, say, Gripping Beast dark age stuff, they will probably look out of place among Warmachine stuff.

Well... maybe they will not look totally out of place. Beside Kreoss (the rightmost Warmachine model) that is a Warcaster and is quite tall, the other models don't look excessively mismatched, size-wise, to me. What do you think?

Offline Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2019, 10:51:20 AM »
Warmachine is supposed to be 32mm but its all over the place really.
That said I think 28mm historic miniatures, even slightly chunky ones like Fireforge, would look way too small.

Fireforge matches Gripping Beast and Perry in size. Their weapons are slightly chunkier than Perry weapons.

I dont have any pictures to support my thoughts though.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2019, 12:23:40 PM »
Fire forge horses are a decent size, which will help - and I suspect you don’t have any other horse mounted units for direct comparison.

The cloaks can easily be left off the figures. Many of the Fireforge sets use the same core bodies with different heads and arms any way.

Gabbi

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2019, 11:04:00 AM »
Warmachine is supposed to be 32mm but its all over the place really.
That said I think 28mm historic miniatures, even slightly chunky ones like Fireforge, would look way too small.
I see. In the pic I've posted they don't look so terribly small to me. The berserk (second from left) looks quite ok besides the Temple Flameguard (thrid from left) considerning the thinner base and the fact he's slightly crouched while the Flameguard is standing.
To the other hand, the figures beside Kreoss looks way too small, but Kreoss is a tall dude.

Gabbi

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2019, 11:04:59 AM »
Fire forge horses are a decent size, which will help - and I suspect you don’t have any other horse mounted units for direct comparison.
I have a Protectorate mounted figure, but no Fireforge or Gripping Beast.