Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:11:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690724
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Battle of the Curlew Pass-Ireland 1599  (Read 2038 times)

Offline Stecal

• Scientist
    • Pictures of my minis
Re: The Battle of the Curlew Pass-Ireland 1599
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2019, 01:56:48 AM »
Thank you for relating this little battle.  Inspired me to buy a few books on the subject and reconsider working on my Irish army.
Clear the battlefield and let me see
All the profit from our victory.

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2019, 09:51:32 AM »
You're most welcome Stecal. 

I think my next three posts in the series will be the English Army of 1599/1600 post Mountjoy's reorganisation, Wargaming the Nine Years War and English and Irish Army Nine Years War Lists for Furioso.

I think I'm mainly going to use Hell Broke Loose by James Roach but Furioso caught my attention too.  I hope you find something useful in them.

Offline Eoin OCnaimhsi

• Librarian
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2019, 11:00:45 AM »
Looking forward to that OB. I am looking to make a start on my English force in the new year(after I figure out the rest of my pike and how to do Redshanks!) and it will be great to see what you have regarding the English force.

Offline Padrissimus

• Mad Scientist
    • Big Small Worlds
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2019, 12:15:56 PM »
Thanks for posting the link. I read with fascination about the battle. I have studied Catholic persecution in England in some depth as part of my research for my Guy Fawkes' role. As I read, Sir Griffin Markham's name jumped out at me, and I was very happy to learn more about what he had been up to (and like) before his roles in the Earl of Essex's attempted uprising, the 'Spanish Treason' and the two 1603 plots against King James (the Bye Plot or Surprise Treason, and the Treason of the Main).

Your essay makes me want to delve deeper, although I have to admit I am 'behind' in so many areas I intend to study!
My Tilean Campaign can be found at https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2019, 03:48:07 PM »
The next piece should be up on my blog tomorrow Eoin.  I'm just checking a quote before posting.

Thanks Padrissimus.  The Nine Years War seems to have been full of interesting characters and not just the big names.  I'm glad you found my post useful.  I'm probably going to write some mini biographies of some of the personalities involved.